Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrello4 View Post
Greetings

My DW and I will be going out this morning to drive and possibly purchase our very first RV. We hope to be fulltiming in 2-3 years. Also, my wife has some medical conditions which make it mandatory that we find an RV that is as smooth traveling as possible. We have decided on a Class A.

We are currently looking at a 2004 Monaco Dynasty, 42' with a king sized bed (one of our must-haves) The front passenger chair is a "buddy chair" which I had never seen before (1 1/2 normal width) but will be perfect for her.

I had never envisioned getting something this big or nice but it seems a good fit for us. The tag axle increased the maintenance costs but is probably worth it for the extra stability and carrying capacity. Any thoughts?

We are very happy to be new members of this forum and look forward to many interesting exchanges as we climb aboard the learning curve.

Darrell, Cindi and Snickers (the dog)
sounds like a great rig. our first was a 37' and now have a 38', you will do just fine, enjoy
Herb,Mar and Lucy the camping dog
38TAdventurer

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPPASMURF View Post
I am assuming your rig will have air brakes. In our jurisdiction you need an air brake endorsement on your driver's license to drive such. I took a 1 day course-best thing I ever did. They taught us a lot about air brakes, setup, troubleshooting, how to drive them safely on hills etc. As well to do in cab diagnostics about the current state of your air system. Best day I've spent learning my RV.
how would u know what he needs? u live in alberta and he lives in the usa?

Old 06-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticat900 View Post
Whoa! Let's stay calm ... He didn't say he needed it - he said HE needed it and that it was great info. I've read recommendations in several places that whether it is required or not, a short course on air brakes never hurts for a new driver.

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:38 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticat900 View Post
It doesn't matter which side of the border you are on, air brakes are air brakes. I can tell you with some amount certainty that if you have never had any real experience with air brakes then you really do need an experienced person to walk you through how a proper air brake test is done and familiarize you with their use.

POPPASMURF did that! Good for him. He took the time to get himself educated about something he knew little about that could play a life or death role in his RVing experience. Now he's passing that experience on to someone else who needs it and that is what this forum is all about. There are far too many folks that run out and buy themselves 40 plus feet of DP without the slightest clue of how to get it off the dealers lot, much less stop it properly.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:09 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
Whoa! Let's stay calm ... He didn't say he needed it - he said HE needed it and that it was great info. I've read recommendations in several places that whether it is required or not, a short course on air brakes never hurts for a new driver.

Kathryn

Congratulations on your new promotion to Moderator....

Old 06-17-2012, 06:52 AM   #34

Very interesting info here, standard brakes on my 36 GS so no experience with the air type. I'm getting a real education here. And 'Ditto' on the Dealer just tossing you the keys after a brief 'walk through.' Fortunately I had the sense that God Gave a Goose and filmed the whole thing!
Old 06-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #35

'We went from a 34' to a 40' to a 42' and just ordered a 44'. I should have just gone for the large one first. Driving the smaller unit was no easier than the larger one. Do the Sunday parking lot thing with a few reference cones, purchase some of the available CD's and check into an RV driving school. I did it for my wife and it was the best money I have ever spent. I learned a few things also and it probably made our marriage better !!!
Old 06-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
Congratulations on your new promotion to Moderator....

Oops! Sorry ... my own kneejerk reaction!

And as for me, never done this before, so I plan on getting a driver's training course before I ever drive it off the lot!!! If the dealer doesn't have a trainer, I am going to set it up with RV Bootcamp RV Basic Training Driving an RV is easy . . . Let us show you how! where they send a driver to you so you get trained right on your own new RV! Priceless!

Kathryn

Old 06-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #37

when wife and I started looking at motorhomes we were told anything over 40 ft will be difficult to learn how to drive. I said well no matter what we buy i will need to learn how to drive the big thing so 35 footer or 45 footer it's all the same to me in having to learn how to drive it. looking at what we want we decided on minimum a 40 foot MH and have narrowed that down to a couple companies. i asked the dealers if they teach us how to drive them before we take them and they both said yes, so just ask the dealer. If they don't do it they can steer you in the right direction. if they don't offer at least advice on where to go they're not worth buying from IMO.

DC
Old 06-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Buy your first one last. Our first and only vehicle rv was our 38' MH. We are in our 11tth year with the rig and still enjoying it.

You will learn to handle your 42' very quickly. It is a quality rig in my opinion.
I'm going back in posting dates, but Dean has it pretty much down. 'How much' do you need for two folks. But 42' ... there I've got to do a ... not sure about that unless you have a CDL (got that right?) license. Once you get beyond 32 foot EVERYTHING goes up in scale, and I do mean UP.

Your 'new home,' and I do mean 'home, not just a MH, maybe.

On my second at the moment**, and if I'd known then (the first) what I know 'kneow,' a few changes that would have cost about 6K new; and never would have traded in that unit.

The two changes? Simples: The GMC engine vs the Ford (a gutless wonder) and the BR would have been done as a slide (dumb, dumb, dumb on my part but what did I know at the time?).

Bigger IS NOT better?

Just my .02 cents.

** Second hand unit that was originally ordered up/purchased with about every trick you could put into one of these things. And they got their monies worth in that game ... until trade in time?
Old 06-25-2012, 10:58 PM   #39

If you are worried about it enough to post this question on line then the answer is likely yes. I had been motor homing 29 years before I bought a 42'. And even then 42' is a big beast. I love our coach, but two weeks ago I had two people getting me around tight corners into a local County RV Park.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:14 AM   #40

Appalachian Campers
We bought our first last year and it is a 42ft American Coach. If you can start at the top then just do it. My husband was scared to death to go past that first semi and drive up the mountains. After 8 trips or so he is driving like a champ. Comfort levels are the key. I find after having several boats that we could spend the weekend on I was ready to go home after 2 nights. 5-7 nights on the RV and I never want to go home. It's just the 2 of us and the dog. I am so looking forward to our first trip of 2 weeks.

So many people are full timers and now I know why.

Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
My first rig is a 42 Monaco Dynasty and I was nervous the first 100 miles of driving. The best advice I got was take your time and " they see you" you will learn what that phrase means as you drive through cities and towns.

This little gadget will save your marriage
Eartec 2 simutalk 24g
24G
It makes backing up, turning in tight camp grounds a no yelling, no hand signals free zone.
I have used this device on racing sailboats for years or ones similar to it and they work great.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
If you are worried about it enough to post this question on line then the answer is likely yes...
Nonsense! It is natural to pose this question, since so many people have so many opinions as to what size coach is best. But that is all they are - OPINIONS! Which means sift through them for the good stuff, then make your own decision.

I too am in the process of looking and will be purchasing in about 6 months. For me, the process is a little different in that I have already made the decision to live in the MH for at least 2 years - I am buying it instead of a house. I did listen to the many who said start small - but for me, if I am cramped into the smaller unit, I might regret that decision, so I want the biggest, nicest unit I can get - with slides and all the rest! I may still trade out later as I learn what I like and don't like, but I doubt if I will go smaller. The only limiter I am considering at all is whether to go over 40' and risk the park and CG restrictions for the big rigs.

You can learn to handle anything - take courses. Truckers have to take training before they can drive - no shame there. Get what you want and enjoy!

Kathryn