Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #1

Too old to full-time?

I'm kind of curious about any full-timers' opinions as to whether or not age 70 is too old to start full-timing. While health is good, we would be spending an amount for our motorhome that would make it difficult to purchase a stick house later. Has anyone stopped traveling and have parked at an RV park until nursing home comes into play? No one wants to think of himself as ever getting too old to do what he wants to do, but I think it will happen to us all!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #2

I think it has more to do with health and your ability to safely drive and navigate the RV than age. Over the years I have seen lots of people in their 60's who should not be driving even a small car, and also seen people in their early 80's still going strong.

450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Why couldn't you trade the MH for a park model or something similar later on?
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #4

Age is more a matter of mind. When you get tired of full-timing, you'll know it's time to pack it in.

No need to spend all that much.

You can get a usable MH for under $30K. Just figure whatever you do spend, it's disposable.

If you have a strong desire, and reasonable health (or, a lot of money), it's doable.

Just my opinion.

GL Arnold
Old 10-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You're wise to be asking the questions now.

I don't think age is an issue. It's health and vibrancy that count.

I do think it's important to have an exit strategy however. If you don't think you'll be able to purchase another stick house, I'd suggest thinking about what options you do have available to you for longer term care, etc... and make sure that's built into your strategy from the start.

I know that Escapees has a wonderful care facility for RVers at their headquarters in Livingston, Texas.

Best of luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I'm kind of curious about any full-timers' opinions as to whether or not age 70 is too old to start full-timing. While health is good, we would be spending an amount for our motorhome that would make it difficult to purchase a stick house later. Has anyone stopped traveling and have parked at an RV park until nursing home comes into play? No one wants to think of himself as ever getting too old to do what he wants to do, but I think it will happen to us all!
A wise old rock-n-roller once said

I don't know,
but I've been told,
ya never slow down,
ya never grow old.

Others hit the nail, if YOU feel you can safely fulltime, then by all means do so. If you think just a few years of fulltiming, and saving for a stickhouse, then buy a gasser rather than a big ole DP. You can find a really nice coach for around $50k that'll be more than sufficient for several good years of traveling.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Absolutely agree with the others. It's health and vibrancy that counts. We've met plenty of spry 70-year olds on the road who are just as vibrant as us. One of them actually tired us out on a hike!
Old 10-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #8

Too old to full-time?

We certainly enjoy the lifestyle. I hadn't thought about a trade to a park model! We might decide to stay with our 36 footer, but the 42's sure look nice and give more room to stay happy with your "stuff."
Old 10-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
We're not full timers, but about 5k miles per year
Old 10-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
(Send button on iPhone to close to text) cont: 5k miles per year. Kinda set a "stop point" at when I can't climb the ladder anymore.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #11

We've volunteered with a couple of 80+ volunteers and hope we'll still be on the road at that age and doing that if it keeps us young.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
We certainly enjoy the lifestyle. I hadn't thought about a trade to a park model! We might decide to stay with our 36 footer, but the 42's sure look nice and give more room to stay happy with your "stuff."
Why don't you close down the house and go fulltiming in the 36 footer for a few years. I certainly understand the 42 footer but may not be necessary to make that expenditure and you can keep the house, just in case. Another thought may be to purchase an RV lot somewhere. AZ is full of places that are very reasonable right now, especially near Salome. I just turned 70 in July and tend to agree with the poster who said "...when I couldn't climb the ladder anymore..." Only reason I don't fulltime is because I like to "tinker" with things other than the MH. Good luck and welcome to irv2.
Richard
Old 10-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I agree...try it out in your ( Ventana 2006 36' FL-C7 Cat). Your health is what you need to depend on. Only you know you.....The home you own now may be more house than you will need when your in your 80's. Full timing will let you explore the country where you may find a location where you will bookmark as a place to really retire when driving a MH is no longer in the cards.

If you say you have your health...You can't buy that go for it...

I plan to retire at 53....I won't full-time but will do many 2-4 week trips. First trip planned is a summer trip to AK. for the summer of 16'.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #14

We don't full time but we try to travel as much as our budget allows, about 5-7 "mini trips" and a longer "vacation" type trip every year. I am one click away from 70 and I feel like I am still up to the task. We just spent over a week traveling 2,000 miles Rt to Disneyland. The LA traffic is a good test to see if I should still be pulling a 5th wheel trailer. That, coupled with a 5 day Disney hopper pass, tell me I'm still kickin'. I've had a hip replaced but it doesn't slow me down, I figure we'll keep RVing until we no longer feel up to the task , or can't remember why we want to..........

road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote