Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2020, 01:51 PM   #1

Too old to park

This is rambly and I apologize in advance. I'm panicking.

My partner and I are making the transition to full-timer life. Right now we have a 1996 Rexhall RexAir in relatively good repair that we're trying to fix up to be able to boondock - we're based out of Nevada, so, lots of BLM land - but until then we need a place to park and live.

I'm having some issues making the transition to solar, but we need power to have heat, and it's frickin cold here right now! Our generator is bust, and I was planning on removing it to make room for a bigger battery bank anyway. I have some very minor cosmetic issues, but mostly I just need a new paint job, which is expensive.

The big issue, however, is that there are three RV parks in Carson City area, and the two I stayed at back in the day when my parents and I were "trailer trash" are both refusing me for having a rig that's "too old". The other one, a friend of mine works at, and she became persona non grata, so suddenly last time I stayed there, there were leaks of fluid (there weren't, and it was raining the whole time, but okay) that the manager apparently saw.

Moochdocking is a gray legal area here, but right now I've been given... A few hours, at most, to be parked on the street in front of my sister's house. The RV needs hookups right now to perform for us. It's cold.

Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas?

Our long-term goal is to save up money and fix my credit up so I can buy a newer rig and hit the road, but this was given to me by a friend who upgraded. The only thing I can think of is trying to find one of those propane heaters and buy a propane tank, but that doesn't give us showers, or fresh water, or the ability to charge our phones, or the ability for either of us to work from home (partner is a disabled veteran, currently trying to get disability rating, but cannot do traditional work). I'm actively scared!

- Nova
NovaPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2020, 02:56 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
On a safety note, I have a Mr Buddy propane heater that is supposed to be safe for indoor use, but I have seen enough CO tragedies that I wont use it or any non-vented propane heater inside.

As for parks, you might try one of the RV parks in Fallon. They seem like the type that will work with people facing your kinds of challenges, they are inexpensive, and they aren’t that far away from Carson City, but probably just far enough.

It also sounds like you might be better off abandoning this “gift” and saving the money you would otherwise put into it to put towards your future, more full-time worthy coach. I know this is counter to your stated plan, but it sounds like the Rexair might not be worth investing in, especially when you consider the cost and complexity of a solar power system and battery bank sufficient for boondocking. Just my .02 worth....

The other thing you might consider, if the coach is road worthy, is heading south. It’s warmer down around the Salton Sea and there are lots of inexpensive parks in that area.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:34 PM   #3

I would move fixing the generator to the top of the list, and buy a couple quality batteries. Solar is very expensive. If your plan is to buy another rv in the future, having a running generator is a big plus when it comes time to sell it. You can buy plenty of generator time for the cost of a solar set up. It would take years to recoup the initial installation costs. Its not going to happen if you plan on selling the rv in a couple years. Solar set ups quite often still need a back up generator to run ACs and microwaves, as well as for charging when the sun doesn't shine for days. Good luck on your choices.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:51 PM   #4

Its winter in Northern Nevada and there is more RV parks closer to Reno that should have lots of vacant spots this time of the year that will be happy to let you stay.

If you are on a budget and bad credit a motorhome new or old is not a wise thing to own, get out from under that money pit and buy a near new travel trailer and a good used truck, its cheaper than a motorhome and a travel trailer is cheaper and easier to maintain over a motorhome in the long run.

I have owned many RV's over the years and my 08 Bounder motorhome cost the most and cost the most to maintain over a travel trailer, however I have the funds to keep it on the road, if I did not have the funds it would be up for sale asap.
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:16 PM   #5

A cheap 2000 watt inverter generator will supply most of your 120v needsexcept air conditioning or electrical heating. and charge batteries if inverter or converter works. Will run about 6 to 8 hours per gallon half load.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:34 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
you are between a rock and a hard place.......forget the old unit, junk it, sell it, whatever..............then save up the cash while you live a "regular" lifestyle, ie. house or apt..............the previous posters were correct, motorhoming is a money pit.........unless you have $$$$ to dump into the unit you have now, which is the same as polishing a potentially rotten apple, you are going to be behind the 8 ball from now on...............your comments about the unit being too old, that will not change..........campgrounds might let you in if it was pristine, but that sounds like a pipe dream.........do yourself a favor, get out, straighten things out, then live your dream life when things are more stable..........sorry if this isn't the most compassionate response, but i like to cut thru the bull [moderator edit] and get to the point...........best of luck to you both
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:54 AM   #7

Hi Nova-

I'm with the others - you're buying into a false economy, spending thousands of unrecoverable dollars to save hundreds of unrecoverable dollars.

*This* Rex seems to be in pretty rough shape and is an gift that will never stop giving - giving you headaches, heartaches, and a continuous need for repairs and modifications. This gift came with a price tag that isn't realistic for your situation.

I hope a more reasonable plan presents itself.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:24 AM   #8

….lots of good advice here.....on the surface, your plans for "reviving" the old Rex sound very interesting but fixing up [$$$$] a depreciating/depreciated asset is as bad or worse than renting, in terms or ROI. There might be some benefit to making the old girl stationary--seems to work better for trailers or 5th wheels.....but as you already know, finding a semi-permanent parking location will be a challenge...and keeping an older RV in road-worthy traveling condition [eg tires, engine maint., fuel, insurance, etc.] is a true money-pit.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:25 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
If you have no other choices right now, the cheap generator and a full tank of propane are your best bet for keeping warm.

Do that or head to Sage Valley RV park in Fallon (4800 Reno Hwy
Fallon, NV ) and plug in. It has some bad reviews because of the facilities (I didn’t use them so I can comment) but the spaces are fine, price is right, utilities work, and the crew there was friendly and helpful. I think it would work for you. Or go south if you can.

But long term, this coach will not serve you well at all as we have all mentioned here. Best of luck!
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:44 AM   #10

there are very good reasons for having age regulations. I stay in a seasonal park. In the rules it state that all tarps have to be removed by Memorial day. 2 of them stay on all year and one of them is a park owners family member. Both roofs leak.

Rules also say all dogs on a leash. Apparently it does not apply the the dog owners son in law.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
A cheap 2000 watt inverter generator will supply most of your 120v needsexcept air conditioning or electrical heating. and charge batteries if inverter or converter works. Will run about 6 to 8 hours per gallon half load.
Novi

You get a lot of advice from folks here that is not very thrifty. For example, inverter generators are not cheap and you do not need 2000 watts. A 900 watt Tailgator from Harbor Freight is all you need. About $125.

I do not agree that an vintage MH is a money pit depending on a few things. I know more people who have MH given to them than expensive MH. They can afford whatever they want but are just thrifty.

First does the roof leak? If yes it is a money pit.

Second is it safe for winter living? Get a new smoke and CO detector. About $50.

Third how does the engine run and how many miles? Vintage MH often have good engine with many miles left on them. Another way to charge batteries is to run the engine.

There are some expenses if you plan on full timing and traveling.

For example, how old are the tires? MH tires age out. That will run you about $2000 to $3000. Expect to spend $1000 on brakes unless the previous owner had them done. That should last at least 5 years.

Money pit, not exactly! If you are one step away from living with family or spending nights in a homeless shelter, a MH can be very nice.

Spend winters in Lost Wages. The first year we retired looked at RV parks that had age restriction and saw many older RV. Also saw some RV parks without age restriction.

It is less about age than looking like drug dealers. A little bit of decoration and a few plants go along way to showing you are good neighbors. Something I do for myself even when I am booddocking with no neighbors.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmmonaco View Post
you are between a rock and a hard place.......forget the old unit, junk it, sell it, whatever..............then save up the cash while you live a "regular" lifestyle, ie. house or apt..............the previous posters were correct, motorhoming is a money pit.........unless you have $$$$ to dump into the unit you have now, which is the same as polishing a potentially rotten apple, you are going to be behind the 8 ball from now on...............your comments about the unit being too old, that will not change..........campgrounds might let you in if it was pristine, but that sounds like a pipe dream.........do yourself a favor, get out, straighten things out, then live your dream life when things are more stable..........sorry if this isn't the most compassionate response, but i like to cut thru the bullshit and get to the point...........best of luck to you both
Really spot on advice
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 01:38 PM   #13

Hi, everyone. Thanks for all of the advice. Info on the RV -

It's in good shape. Around 30k miles, good tires, clean, no roof or wall leaks, etc. I had a few plumbing issues but those were cheaply and easily fixed (just a piece of old PVC). Now we're just upgrading it. The biggest issue is the generator, because it was not very economical when it worked. After posting this thread, I was thinking I would like to replace it flat-out with a slightly smaller, better genny, and then also have space for more batteries. Being in Nevada, a good battery bank and solar setup would be awesome for a good chunk of the year (I have the initial setup, I just need to finish installing it).

I am currently looking for a full-time job, and my partner is a disabled vet going through the process of getting army disability. I work about ten hours a week at Gamestop for $8 an hour, and I do DoorDash and Instacart.

If I had the money for housing, we wouldn't be in the RV right now. But I do want to fix it up, as both a project, and because when I DO get a better RV (the ultimate goal), I want to have it all fixed up for my nephew.

I think my main goal right now is gonna be the new genny and fixing the minor cosmetic issues (including a new paint job, but I can do that myself. Thanks, Dad, for leaving me all of your tools when you died, and teaching me handyman work!). The glass is in great shape, and I think the "looking like a meth dealer" comment above was spot-on. She's neat and clean, but her paint is faded and she has some minor dings.

I learned that many places, like the Gold Dust West, if you show up in an older RV, they might inspect it and allow you to stay if you look good and aren't leaking.

Short-term, I'mma look for a plug-in genny if I DoorDash enough.
NovaPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 01:50 PM   #14

Just keep the goal front and center and face head on whatever may come your way. They are just lesson meant to help guide you on a set path. [emoji848]
DKB218NYC is offline   Reply With Quote