Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-30-2013, 07:00 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a bucket-like tool bag with pockets all around the outside and open in the center. Screwdrivers, pliers, crescent wrenches, etc go in the pockets. Small 3/8 and 1/4 drive sockets sets, multimeter, etc. go in the center. Easy to carry to the point of work and easy to grab the needed tool.

I also carry tools in the Jeep for trail repairs. Additionally to screw drivers, pliers and such Here are also the 1/2 drive socket set, impact wrench, BFH, etc. The heavier duty stuff.

Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #16
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Paul R. Haller View Post
I do not know what others are willing to tackle on their own but this is what I carry. 241 piece mechanics tool set that includes 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 drive deep and regular SAE and metric sockets, extensions and swivels. 2 full sets combination wrenches in SAE and metric. Full set screwdrivers in both flat and philips including stuby, 2 square and 4torx. Soldering gun with solder and a digital VOM. WD-40 and white grease and wheel bearing grease. Wire, terminals and crimpper, 5 minute epoxy and super glue,# 2 permatex, 2 pipe wrenchs, 4 sizes pliars, 3 vice grips, needle nose pliars small jewelers pliers and mini screwdriver set, RTV, hi temp RTV and a Dewalt 18 volt lithium cordless drill, charger with a 55 piece drill set and a full set drill drivers. Duc tape, masking tape, electricle tape, foil tape, teflon tape and 4 sizes heat shrink tubing. 4 tubes dicor, 3x5 Dicor patch and contact cement. I also carry both inner and outer wheel bearings along with 2 grease seals. I have on board air in my truck and a 10 ton jack chocks and a small floor jack. Lets not forget lug wrench, hammer, small vacuum vice, headlamp, 4 rechargeable flashlights, magnifiers, 3 foot step ladder a 16 inch slip joint pliars and a complete first aid kit.

This set allows me to repair or replace and troubleshoot almost everything in the 5er and truck short of a tranny rebuild on the road, for everything else there is Visa.
-Paul R. Haller-
You sound like me! I have a box in my truck that fits under the back seat I could almost overhaul the engine with.

flangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #17
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My it's idea was a collection of small tool boxes and tool bags tucked here and there but I couldn't settle on what went where. I has a small 4 drawer top box from Home Depot and opted to bolt into the bin relight next to the door. I can open the top and the drawers to get what I need. I know it isn't going to be bouncing around. Power tools will all be in an adjacent smaller compartment . I will probably need to give some things up when I finally get weighed.
3 Humans,2 Dogs,1 Vision, sharing a Winnebago Sightseer 35J on a Workhorse Chassis. Allen, Donna, Drew, Bella & Pippy in the MH we call Glor-E-B!
Flanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #18
This thread is timely for me. I had a 6x10 trailer mainly to house my tool chest and scooter. Since it was stolen a week ago, I'm trying to figure out what tools I really need and how to store them in my new trailer.

2003 Alpine Coach 40MDTS - 400HP Cummins ISL
Can Am Spyder Roadster
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have never really had a problem with what tools to bring or how to store them because we are usually pulling a race trailer with enough tools and parts to build a couple motorcycles from the ground up including a large compressor and spare generator. As of late we have been doing more actual camping and vacationing so the need to bring a smaller solid set of tools with us that would fit in the coach became necessary . I found a complete set of tools that came is sort of a hard shell plastic brief case. It has 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 ratchets , sockets wrenches screwdrivers, everything. It is made by channel lock and has held up to many years of wrenching at the race track. I have seen similar sets at SAMs club and Costco but marketed under the Crescent brand. It is light and easy to store and all the tools have a snap fit into the case to keep them organized. You can bring it to your work area, open it up and everything is handy and organized. It is a great start to the necessities of life on the road. I find the most useful things in a motorhome are my electrical kit. Wirestrippers, connectors, electrical tape, a vom meter and most useful of a ll a 12v test light.
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:32 AM   #20
For the tools that stay in my MH during my camping season, I use some gutted out plastic toner boxes that are about 12x8x4".

2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote