Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tool Box

I am selling everything and downsizing after 40 years on the tools.
However I want to keep one compartment for tools to maintain my own unit. I have a small tool box that I filled with the tools I need but the weight is crazy. I know I could get the weight down to where it is except able,just by eliminating the box. What are you using instead of a steel box.
The side compartment dedicated to tools would make more sense if it were designed for this purpose. Everything I come up with, is hard to find the tool I need when I need it.
Any Ideas on proper organization would be appreciated

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Credit card and GoodSam Emergency Roadside Service.

Wingman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have mine in clear (semi-clear) stackable covered plastic trays that I have written with magic marker tools inside. Such as pliers, screwdrivers, crescent wrenchs, sockets, tape (from electrical, duct tape, etc..)Seems to work good. Just open the storage bin and pull out what is needed.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well lets start with this statement, I'm by no means a mechanic! But here is what I carry and how. Small sae/metric ratchet set in its original plastic box, folds shut, compact and easy to take to wherever I'm working. I installed a shelf in one of my compartments using thin plywood with an aluminum border around it to give added rigidity and use plastic wash totes for drawers. Keep hammer, assortment of nails, ropes, ratchets, extension cords, drop lights etc in these tubs and always have my 18 volt circular saw, drill and sawzaw in its carrying case, with 18volt charger. The flash lite that goes with kit sets just inside door next to passenger seat in event I need a light while outside I can reach in quickly and have access.

Have added a few odds and ends, socket to fit water heater plug, Allan wrench set to tighten furniture legs. Keep small tarp folded in tool compartment, good to cover firewood or to lay on ground if you need to craw under rig. Most important is phone number to Good SAMs Roadside service cause as stated before I ant no mechanic!
Old 10-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
You could use one of the many plastic drawer units available in many big box stores. I don't put all my tools in one place to eliminate the weighing down of one compartment or side. Wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, in one area, hammers, files in another, etc.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Two small tackle boxes with tools. Open end and socket wrench sets.

Credit cards and emergency road service.

One pliers and screw driver inside the cabin.

Very little weight.

If I need more than that frequently, buy a better rig.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
I have a steel tool box with a variety of everything including bailing wire plus a socket set tool box totaling about 40 lbs. Plus I have lug wrenches, jack, and a breaker bar in there. I don't need that for the MH, but for the toad or boat we usually are pulling. I'll bet you have a multitude more than that, but you'll just have to whittle it down to the basic stuff. Good Sams and a credit card are always a must.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #8

I don't know what type of compartments you have (plastic?), but mine are metal, and braced with steel stringers welded to the frame. I thought most were made that way. So I just put the top cabinet of my shops tool box right inside one.

Are you sure your basement compartments aren't strong enough to carry a tool box?

And if you're a welder, shouldn't be hard to add metal straps around a compartment.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #9

I do not know what others are willing to tackle on their own but this is what I carry. 241 piece mechanics tool set that includes 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 drive deep and regular SAE and metric sockets, extensions and swivels. 2 full sets combination wrenches in SAE and metric. Full set screwdrivers in both flat and philips including stuby, 2 square and 4torx. Soldering gun with solder and a digital VOM. WD-40 and white grease and wheel bearing grease. Wire, terminals and crimpper, 5 minute epoxy and super glue,# 2 permatex, 2 pipe wrenchs, 4 sizes pliars, 3 vice grips, needle nose pliars small jewelers pliers and mini screwdriver set, RTV, hi temp RTV and a Dewalt 18 volt lithium cordless drill, charger with a 55 piece drill set and a full set drill drivers. Duc tape, masking tape, electricle tape, foil tape, teflon tape and 4 sizes heat shrink tubing. 4 tubes dicor, 3x5 Dicor patch and contact cement. I also carry both inner and outer wheel bearings along with 2 grease seals. I have on board air in my truck and a 10 ton jack chocks and a small floor jack. Lets not forget lug wrench, hammer, small vacuum vice, headlamp, 4 rechargeable flashlights, magnifiers, 3 foot step ladder a 16 inch slip joint pliars and a complete first aid kit.

This set allows me to repair or replace and troubleshoot almost everything in the 5er and truck short of a tranny rebuild on the road, for everything else there is Visa.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 10-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Two places for tool for me. Main tool kit is just see-thru shoe box filled with most frequently used one and many multifunction tools. This is keep inside my closet. Balance split into electric and mechanical and stored in canvas tool bags.
Example for elec.: drill, dremel short ext cord soldering iron, multi-meter, wire stripper etc. Mechanical stuff: sockets, allen, hammer etc. Works for me as long as Homedepot not to far away!
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:13 PM   #11

I do not know what others are willing to tackle on their own but this is what I carry. 241 piece mechanics tool set that includes 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 drive deep and regular SAE and metric sockets, extensions and swivels. 2 full sets combination wrenches in SAE and metric. Full set screwdrivers in both flat and philips including stuby, 2 square and 4torx. Soldering gun with solder and a digital VOM. WD-40 and white grease and wheel bearing grease. Wire, terminals and crimpper, 5 minute epoxy and super glue,# 2 permatex, 2 pipe wrenchs, 4 sizes pliars, 3 vice grips, needle nose pliars small jewelers pliers and mini screwdriver set, RTV, hi temp RTV and a Dewalt 18 volt lithium cordless drill, charger with a 55 piece drill set and a full set drill drivers. Duc tape, masking tape, electricle tape, foil tape, teflon tape, and 4 sizes heat shrink tubing. Hose washers, 4 tubes dicor, 3x5 Dicor patch and contact cement. I also carry both inner and outer wheel bearings along with 2 grease seals. I have on board air in my truck and a 10 ton jack, chocks, and a small floor jack. We also carry a pry bar, lug wrench, magnifyers, 3 foot step ladder and 4 rechargeable streamlight flashlights

This set allows me to repair or replace and troubleshoot almost everything in the 5er and truck short of a tranny rebuild on the road, for everything else there is Visa.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 10-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #12

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Haller View Post
I do not know what others are willing to tackle on their own but this is what I carry. 241 piece mechanics tool set that includes 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 drive deep and regular SAE and metric sockets, extensions and swivels. 2 full sets combination wrenches in SAE and metric. Full set screwdrivers in both flat and philips including stuby, 2 square and 4torx. Soldering gun with solder and a digital VOM. WD-40 and white grease and wheel bearing grease. Wire, terminals and crimpper, 5 minute epoxy and super glue,# 2 permatex, 2 pipe wrenchs, 4 sizes pliars, 3 vice grips, needle nose pliars small jewelers pliers and mini screwdriver set, RTV, hi temp RTV and a Dewalt 18 volt lithium cordless drill, charger with a 55 piece drill set and a full set drill drivers. Duc tape, masking tape, electricle tape, foil tape, teflon tape and 4 sizes heat shrink tubing. 4 tubes dicor, 3x5 Dicor patch and contact cement. I also carry both inner and outer wheel bearings along with 2 grease seals. I have on board air in my truck and a 10 ton jack chocks and a small floor jack. Lets not forget lug wrench, hammer, small vacuum vice, headlamp, 4 rechargeable flashlights, magnifiers, 3 foot step ladder a 16 inch slip joint pliars and a complete first aid kit.

-Paul R. Haller-
Thanks for the list i can see some things that I have missed.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #13

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
I don't know what type of compartments you have (plastic?), but mine are metal, and braced with steel stringers welded to the frame. I thought most were made that way. So I just put the top cabinet of my shops tool box right inside one.

Are you sure your basement compartments aren't strong enough to carry a tool box?

And if you're a welder, shouldn't be hard to add metal straps around a compartment.
Jim my basement compartments are rated at 150 lbs max. i have a total of 8 4 per side Three go from one side to the other. Room is not the real issue except that I would never fill them to capacity. The construction is aluminum covered in rug.
Your rig must be quite large if your able to put the top cabinet in, and you have to be quite strong to be able to do it.
My doors are about 4 ft wide but only 20" high.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:12 PM   #14

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for all the replys. I got great ideas and I found things that i never thought of carrying. On our first trip out I blew a block heater seal. Took me about an hour of repair than back on the road.
I think my original question was because I was a bit paranoid because of problems on the first trip.