Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2015, 08:48 PM   #1

Toolbox on hitch?

Hi everyone, we are fultimers with a 40' Meridian, a jeep and a short trailer to haul motorcycles. The plan is this year when we move to another campground, he will drive the RV and I will drive the jeep pulling the trailer.

The question I have is sometimes we just pull the Jeep or the motorcycles, so my husband wants to put a Jobox on the dual hitch and then the lower hitch can pull either item. Does anyone out there have a tool box on a hitch and how did it work? What issues if any did you have to overcome?

Thanks in advance.
Wendy

Y Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2015, 08:55 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm all for efficiency, but would think that a JoBox would add a lot of tongue weight. Those rascals are pretty large and solid steel, not to mention the weight of the tools inside. Have you had it weighed? JM2C, \ken

Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:41 AM   #3

I made a mc rack for the back of my last rig and then extended the toad hitch behind it. I mounted two 2" receivers to the outboard frame rails and supported the bike from that. Made an extension for the hitch and tied that out at the end to the mc rack. The whole thing was very robust and worked great. In fact I'm currently working on adapting it to the new coach. You could do the same substituting a toolbox for the bike but I'd probably look for a light toolbox. That said that I only used it with a toad - no tongue weight. Not sure I'd try that setup with a trailer.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1424615697
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	arizona05 045 (Medium).jpg
Views:	82
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	86724  
PbdBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:57 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I use to have a spare tire mounted on a dual hitch and then an extension for the toad (essentially 2 extensions). Problem was that the additional length made it prone to drag and eventually the hitch failed at the weld. Luckily my wife was just pulling out of a fuel station near home when this happened and not on the open road. I did use extra safety chains but if she was going down the road it would still have been a mess.

I now added 2 hitch receivers under each side of the frame of the coach and used off the self parts to make a separate spare tire carrier that is above the regular hitch. I made it so it can be swung away to access my engine compartment. I still have to use 1 extension to pull the toad.

This does add weight to the total coach but no extra weight on the trailer hitch.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:05 AM   #5

As I understand it, since we can pull 10,000 lbs, the tongue weight can be 1,000 lbs. He was thinking of the 30 lb box and then around 200 to 200 lbs max of tools. The jeep is a little over 4000 but we are pulling that, not hitch weight. When we pull the bikes on the trailer, the total pulling weight is about 2500 so that should never be a problem.
I was just looking to see if someone else had put anything big and heavy on the upper hitch of a dual hitch.

Thanks all!
Old 02-22-2015, 11:29 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Why not put the tools in the rear of the Jeep? Won't get wet, a little tougher for Thieves to get too.
I must admit I have our toads trunk pretty full and it rides on a KarKaddySS No problems in 4 years. It also has auto-leveling.
JMO,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:34 AM   #7

We do have a few items that will be there like the extra propane bottles, etc. and we were trying to come up with something we wouldn't have to move. Our German Shepard thinks the back of the jeep is hers as well! Lol
Old 02-23-2015, 08:01 PM   #8

Hey Spritz, I see you have a Connie. Are you going to the National rally in Colorado this year?
Old 02-23-2015, 08:41 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y Roadrunner View Post
Hey Spritz, I see you have a Connie. Are you going to the National rally in Colorado this year?
Sorry but whats a Connie?
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:59 AM   #10

Your 99 Concours. We have had 2 but have a Goldwing and a BMW now. Check out http://www.cog-online.org for the info. They are having a National rally in Colorado in June. Maybe we'll see you there!