Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Don't forget a good bottle of wine to relax with after the repairs
olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #16

Thanks

WOW. Thank you so much everyone - most of this makes great sense, and shows the experience behind the selection (though now I have a pretty significant shopping list for Home Depot..and some theivery to do from my home-supply!)

I do have a few clarifying questions on some specific items though:

TXiceman:
  • 10' x 12' plastic tarp: is this for putting down on the ground to lie on under the carriage???
  • silicone spray: I am not sure what this is, can you please clarify?
  • small can oil: is this household oil...like 3-in-1??
  • 2" x 10" boards: are these to place under the jacks??
  • 4" x 4" blocks: are these meant to be used as tire chocks??
  • I would not have thought of the VOM...lucky I have a spare
TopDownMan:
  • I have heard that axle stretchers can come in handy...do you recommend I carry one of these??
  • If so, what grade stretching oil: grade 3 maybe??
I still need to figure out what I need for manual slide activation....

Thank you again everyone for sharing your experience!
MN_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #17

Duct tape, Sorry if someone mentioned it earlier, but didn't see it
cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:08 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Set of tire repair plugs for our size tires, for airbags too. I also carry a couple of the bosch 87/87a relays and one of the white rogers relays. I also carry plug adapters for all possibilities. A small step ladder. Zip ties. Spare water filters. Air conditioning filters. Spare braided tire extensions.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:54 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
WOW. Thank you so much everyone - most of this makes great sense, and shows the experience behind the selection (though now I have a pretty significant shopping list for Home Depot..and some theivery to do from my home-supply!)

I do have a few clarifying questions on some specific items though:

TXiceman:
  • 10' x 12' plastic tarp: is this for putting down on the ground to lie on under the carriage???
  • silicone spray: I am not sure what this is, can you please clarify?
  • small can oil: is this household oil...like 3-in-1??
  • 2" x 10" boards: are these to place under the jacks??
  • 4" x 4" blocks: are these meant to be used as tire chocks??
  • I would not have thought of the VOM...lucky I have a spare
The tarp is to put on the ground in case you have to get under the rig or to cover somethings from the weather.

Most Auto parts stores carry silicone in spray cans...to lube plastic and rubber parts.

3 in1 will work or a small spray can of a fine oil. I carry some Hopps gun oil for a fine oil.

Boards can go under jacks, tires, etc.

4 x 4 can be used as wheel chocks, or supports for a jack or levelers.

The VOM is priceless to ahve for trouble shooting. I also chehck the voltage at the power pedastal. Use it to check bulbs as fuses as well.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #20

3 in 1 oil is good but i also carry a spray can of tri-flo oil great for about anything that need lube
boweavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #21

Triple E Owners Club
Don't forget a quick-connect fuel line release tool for changing filters, gas lines, etc.
Jagtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:15 AM   #22

For VOM, take two- one analog & one digital that has % Duty Cycle (to measure pulse width modulated signals that are becoming more common by the minute). The analog one is to measure sweeping signals that the digital VOM shows scrambled because it has to live on some kind of averaging 'snapshots' to report a number.
Then when you get a real clue, get a Power Probe 3. Comes w/20' cord & 20' extension so you can reach anything on the coach, and has volt meter built in. Direct hi tone indicator for batt voltage & lo tone for connected ground, a toggle to put batt voltage or connected ground on the probe tip. Its like a super charged trouble light. Once you get used to it, it'll be your go to electrical trouble tool. I like it to put 12V & ground to whatever isn't working to figure if its the component itself, or its in the wiring; saves a lot of time.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:21 AM   #23

A GOOD current list of ALL your manufacturing contact numbers, both phone and email; This is priceless if you need help on the road and need the location of a service center or troubleshooting assistance.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:04 AM   #24

How about a good heavy duty pair of leather work gloves. Also a very good flashlight or battery operated lattern?

Maybe a bit far but I carry a small chainsaw, I learned it was a very important item after this years ice storm if your boon docking and a tree falls in your path, your going no where. Mine is only a 14" bar but I took down a very good sized tree with it.
Both US Army Retired - Fort Lewis, WA
Cilrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #25

Anti Freeze

Sorry folks...I am going to resurrect this thread from a week or so ago....

One of the suggestions is to carry a gallon of anti-freeze. Great suggestion! Manual says use ASTM 4985 compliant formulation, and dilute 50/50 with water. It turns out that Prestone Dex-Cool antifreeze is ASTM 4985 compliant. They ALSO sell a pre-diluted Dex-Cool gallon container. That would be really handy, as I likely will not always carry a gallon of distilled water. The problem/question is that the pre-diluted container does NOT say it is ASTM4985 compliant (even though it appears to be the same stuff!). Has anyone successfully ued the pre-diluted Dex-Cool in their DP engine (Cummins engine..)???

Thanks!
MN_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-3 View Post
JB Weld in a tube for all your gluing repairs. Most places won't accept an out of town /state check. A credit card is a must.
And clean underwear!! Geez!

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #27

And a large 1" breaker bar and hardened socket for the lug nuts. And a pipe to extend the breaker bar. You might be surprised that some 'Truck Tire Services' don't realize your RV lug nuts take 450ft-lbs to remove. (Personal Experience).

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #28

I only carry 2 things: Duct tape for the things that are broken and WD-40 for the things that are stuck.