Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2011, 06:44 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tools for the road

I'm thinking that I need more tools handy with our newer class A than what we had with our older C unit - and - not being a super mechanic person - what tools would you keep in the rig (along with the good sam phone #).

Purplefans & Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2011, 06:48 AM   #2

Not to be funny, but what you need is not what you will have with you.
I have found that to be true about half the time. We came from a diesel truck & 5th wheel to a gas motor home. I use pretty much the same tools that we had in the 5th wheel.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #3

We carry a small 3 drawer Craftsman metal tool box in a basement compartment and have for years. In it is a basic mechanics tool set consisting of screwdrivers, 1/4 and 3/8 sockets, extension and ratchet. Combination wrench sets in metric and SAE. Wire cutters, handyman pliers, channel locs, a hammer, box cutter, 3M Super 33+ electrical tape and a cheap chinese copy of a Fluke multimeter I got at Frys.

( I have a real Fluke at the house and this cheap copy works nearly as good and I will not cry if it goes missing)

Other than parts, we have been able to fix most anything I could do at home. I also carry a full set of chassis and most equipment (fridge, genset, water heater, etc) service manuals on my laptop that goes with us...just in case. I may have missed something but thats the basics.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:51 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a spare tire, so I carry a 24 in. breaker bar. a 12 1n. extension. a socket to fit the wheel nuts. a socket to fit the two retainer nuts on the wheel covers. A test light to check for blown fuses. a pair of needle nose pliers to pull fuses. a set of open wrenches from 1/4 to 1 and 3/8. complete set of of 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 socket sets. full set of screwdrivers. Multimeter and connectors and elec. tape. Set of pliers
Old 05-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #5

Being a mechanic and welder I tend to be on the heavy side with my tools, air tools, compressor, 12ton air bottle jack, 36" long 1" breaker bar with the isuzu 42mm lugnuts and more.

Changing my own tire on the side of the road was really high on my priority list.

You'll get better gas mileage with the weight of the Good Sam card over the tools I carry.

Pack up the tools you need to repair what you feel comfortable fixing on your own.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:53 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Coach Net and American Express . Either will fit all the large screws and bolts in a Motorhome.

Not trying to be cute, but I have found a lot of times it easier and cheaper to have someone who knows what they are doing to fix it right the first time. For all other repairs, a basic tool kit from Sears, Hd or Lowes will do nicely.
Just Because is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks All! It's just been a little frustrating with this rig - last year seemed fine, this year, it just isn't going right. After "limping" home, I replaced the fuel filter and got it over to the repair mechanic. They've finally been able to diagnost the problem - an actuator motor, but we'll also be getting new serpentine belt, plugs, wires, a fuel injection service, a tranny flush and rear differential service. And the heat shields are coming off of the exhaust, so they'll be welded. Some other minor things, and I know I can't fix any of them, it just is a little frustrating to be completely unable to do anything. I have to pretend I can fix something, you know!
Purplefans & Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:11 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just about every tool I have from a precision screwdriver (Useful when I have to drop a new mother board into this computer) to a 1/2" air powered inpact wrench (The absolute minimum to remove a tire from this rig) This includes a chain saw sharpener and a drill bit sharapener, Electronics tools and I can't tell you what else without taking inverntory.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:40 PM   #9

duct tape!!!
Old 05-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #10

I carry a basic set of tools, plus a couple of additions. A pair of regular vice grips and a pair of needle-nose vice grips will cover several of the tools you should've but didn't buy. I also learned that owning a #2 square bit for my magnetic screwdriver saves wear and tear on the #2 square screws (and my nerves) compared with attempting to simply force a Phillips screwdriver to loosen/tighten the screws I thought were Phillips but weren't.
195pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:18 PM   #11

SOG multi tool.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #12
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
A hack saw and a long blade screw driver - 18" .
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:58 AM   #13

I travel with a cheap complete set in a case that I bought for this purpose, it has pretty much every hand tool you can use, but it is a cheap set, so I supplement it with a few things. I find that having some wire, solder, and clips is handy for testing and jumping, and I travel with a 150psi compressor because it is a hassle to get the rig close to an air hose.

My rule is that these things are designed by idiots, built by drunks, and sold by liars. If you are lucky, it is fixed by an honest man.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:24 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't forget the WD-40 to go along with the duct tape.