Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2016, 01:13 PM   #1

Topping Off Your Tires

If you don't have an onboard or portable compressor, how do you top off your tires? Is the average tire fill at the gas station adequate or is something a little more robust needed? Thanks. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2016, 01:21 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Without an on-board or portable compressor, it's gonna be tough to find someplace that provides a large capacity air supply for a MH! Some truck stops may have air available.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:23 PM   #3

This portable compressor gets very good reviews from folks who have them. Many advantages over the typical 110V pancake units although, it is more money. Get what you pay for IMHO.
Having said this, if you need to top up tire pressure often, you should be looking at tires. I check tire pressure before we head out and to date have never found the need to adjust tire pressure beyond a slight adjust at home before leaving.
Again, Just my humble opinion.

http://www.amazon.com/Viair-40047-Au...keywords=viair
Old 01-12-2016, 01:30 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Coincidentally, I just purchased the above compressor on recommendation of a friend who also had it. This unit replaced a cheaper one that I had carried for 3 years, and when I needed it a couple of weeks ago, it crapped out.

The one in the above link is excellent. It can top off RV-size tires at 105 psi with surprising ease and speed for its size. It also comes with two spring hoses. I connected the compressor directly to my chassis batteries as designed and the two hoses would reach all the way around to the front tires opposite side. So it reaches all tires in a 40' RV. I HIGHLY recommend this one.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:52 PM   #5

You should really plan on carrying a compressor with you. Tires should be checked cold (before moving the vehicle after sitting overnight or for some lengthy time) and the air adjusted accordingly. If you have to drive it some distance to check and take on air the tires will have warmed up some and you will not get a true reading on your gauge. This could lead to under inflation which is one of the leading causes of blowouts.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:36 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
All Pilot/Flying J truck stops have fuel, def, water, and air there if you want to go there...

While I carry this compressor and long air hose, many times it's just easier to go to the truck lanes... and as far as cold pressure fills, just measure the psi at the campsite, make a note on your phone LR is - 5, RF is + 10... etc... then do the relative changes when you get to the pump... add 5 psi to the LR, bleed out 10 PSI from the RF, etc...
Old 01-12-2016, 03:42 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Buy a compressor. You'll use it plenty of times and it's a very worthwhile investment. I have the one linked above, but any compressor is better than not having one.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:51 AM   #8

Topping Off Your Tires

I have the Viair 88P, it works very well and easily stored. I also bought a carry bag and hose extension.

http://www.amazon.com/Viair-00088-88...air+compressor
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:24 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Lowes has a 150 PSI Porter Cable (pretty good name) for $99.95...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
If you don't have an onboard or portable compressor, how do you top off your tires? Is the average tire fill at the gas station adequate or is something a little more robust needed? Thanks. Chuck
The compressed air supply at truck stops and most tire shops is fine for airing up or topping off MH tires....(at ordinary gas stations not so much).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:08 AM   #11

Thanks all. I suspected the gas station air would not cut it. My tires have been fine for the 6 months we have owned the coach, but you never know. A compressor is on my list but not right now. So it looks like a truck stop or tire shop is my option if needed. Once our travel plans are more frequent, the compressor will be a good addition. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:22 AM   #12

96 bucks on Amazon. Works great.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:31 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
F4Gary--
I had that exact on, but in a different (all red) case. I bought it from Sears and paid closer to $150 for it. It did work great until I tried to use it in the cold weather a couple of weeks ago. It was topping off a low tire and then all of the sudden something inside just snapped, and I heard pieces of who-knows-what clanking around inside it. No air was being pumped out either. I was so ticked that I tossed it in the dumpster (after removing the hose first).

So my advice to anyone who carries that one around is to store it in an indoor closet, not the basement, when the weather outside is cold. I can't be sure that the cold caused the problem but that would be my recommendation anyway.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:54 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I would highly recommend one of the Viar Compressors. They are very compact and work great. Easily airs up my 120 pound tires.

I would recommend the 450p RV model for the 100% duty cycle.

Tags
tires