Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2014, 10:28 PM   #1

Unhappy Torn between Travel Supreme 2008 42DL24 and 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ

Dear all, I am getting either of these units at pretty much equivalent prices and I am torn with which one I should go. the Monaco is dealer priced while the TS is private sale.

The Travel Supreme 2008 42DL24 has 425 cummins and the 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ comes with cummins 500. Both of them under 100k miles, both appear well maintained. Both floor plans work for us.

The Travel supreme is 42' while the Monaco is 44.6.

Any opinions?

Thanks

Andrew
andrewkluz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2014, 10:49 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Do both of them have an engine brake rather than an exhaust brake? That to me would be a big factor here in the West.

Do both rigs have diesel fired water and air heating (Aqua-Hot)? That used to be a $10,000 option that is difficult to add later.

The 500 Cummins sounds attractive.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:32 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Torn between Travel Supreme 2008 42DL24 and 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ

Is the travel supreme all electric (residential fridge, bigger inverters, more batteries) ?

Do they both have 3 roof AC/heat pumps ?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:45 AM   #4

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard Andrew. Best of luck in your decision. Personally I would lean towards the TS, but that's just me. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:31 PM   #5

Torn between Travel Supreme 2008 42DL24 and 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ

What model is the Monaco? Never mind. Just re-read the op.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewkluz View Post
Dear all, I am getting either of these units at pretty much equivalent prices and I am torn with which one I should go. the Monaco is dealer priced while the TS is private sale.

The Travel Supreme 2008 42DL24 has 425 cummins and the 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ comes with cummins 500. Both of them under 100k miles, both appear well maintained. Both floor plans work for us.

The Travel supreme is 42' while the Monaco is 44.6.

Any opinions?

Thanks

Andrew

Congratulations on drilling down to a couple of outstanding options. I'm a Monaco owner and have enormous regard for the S Series chassis that is the foundation of the Executive. It's a very strong and stable chassis on the road. The ISM 500 hp is a wonderful motorhome engine and is plenty powerful but can return excellent mpg. The AquaHot unit is great to live with also.

That being said, the TS is a well build motorhome and is 3 years newer.

I suspect that you have a gut feeling and personal preference. I would listen to that gut and go ahead with a professional inspection to include oil and fluid sample analysis. If the first choice has an issue then you have an excellent plan B.

Good luck & let us know how it turns out.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:12 PM   #7

Agree with all the replies here, I have owned a 2006 TS for a couple years and it has been a great coach. Unfortunately I am forced to sell due to health issues. It is listed in the classifieds on this site............. JB
pivotdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:27 PM   #8

Both great MH'S. After looking both over very well, and looking at tire age, battery age, and maint records go with your gut as Steve says. The 500 motor and likely air leveling is a plus for the Monoco. Best of luck with either coach.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:42 PM   #9

I like all the responses and you guys rock!! ... I was looking for the "Like" button to each of the responses.

Both units have aqua-hot and engine brakes (the TS has dual)
Both have propane tanks and propane/battery/ac fridges

The TS has new batteries and has four solar panels. Only 30k miles on the tires.
The Executive doesn't have solar panel and I have a feeling it needs new batteries and may be tires as well in a year or so. I am waiting for complete information from the seller. The TS has 10kw Onan generator whereas the Executive has bigger 12.5kw.

The Executive has about 20 square feet more space.

Thank you very much!!
andrewkluz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:53 PM   #10
KIX

Quote:
The TS has new batteries and has four solar panels. Only 30k miles on the tires.
The Executive doesn't have solar panel and I have a feeling it needs new batteries and may be tires as well in a year or so.................
Check the DOT date code on the tires.......miles on the tires is not usually a factor in MH tires. You can count on replacing tires in 5 - 7 years from the DOT coded date of manufacture.
Dual engine brakes and solar panels on the TS sound very attractive to me.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:05 PM   #11

Word is that RVs built at the height of the recession weren't built so great. Why is there no price diff with 3 yrs diff? Maybe the Monaco is built better. You probably can negotiate with the dealer easier than private. Hit the dealer low and come to agreement. Plus you can get them to do fixes in the deal. Either way, have it inspected and buy a service contract. The dealer just wants to move it and will take any profit and maybe a loss. Make sure you get all books and maint logs.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:11 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On the engine (Jacobs) brake, the 425 ISL will have a two stage brake and I am sure the 500 ISM also has the two stage brake.... might even have a 3 stage.

Both sound like good choices. I have the 425 ISL in our 42' coach and it gets us down the road just fine. As noted, have them checked well for proper maintenance and overall mechanical health.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:16 PM   #13

For what it's worth..we had a Travel Supreme 5th wheel before our Newmar. We visited the plant while it was being built. It was a small company and they did high quality custom work. They took their time building so it was perfect. At that time, everyone we talked to highly recommend them to us. Good luck in your choice, whatever it will be!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:16 PM   #14

Quote:
I like all the responses and you guys rock!! ... I was looking for the "Like" button to each of the responses.

Both units have aqua-hot and engine brakes (the TS has dual)
Both have propane tanks and propane/battery/ac fridges

The Executive doesn't have solar panel and I have a feeling it needs new batteries and may be tires as well in a year or so. I am waiting for complete information from the seller. The TS has 10kw Onan generator whereas the Executive has bigger 12.5kw.

The Executive has about 20 square feet more space.

Thank you very much!!

Here is the brochure on the Executive:

http://www.monacocoach.com//library/..._Executive.pdf

The one 100-125 watt solar panel is no more than a trickle charger. It's nice to have if you store outside for long periods but it won't run much in the coach. I can say this because I have one. An effective solar system takes one panel of that size per house battery at a minimum. The Executive also has a 2 stage Jake brake. Tires and batteries are expendable/consumable. Milage on motorhome tires is meaningless and age out at 7-8 years generally. Tires should have been replaced a couple of years ago on the Executive and be due for replacement on the TS.

These are certainly considerations to be dealt with as a coach owner but not very good reasons to choose a coach.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, travel, travel supreme