Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2015, 11:34 AM   #1

Torque Specifications 2004 F 53 Tie Rods

I just ordered new tie rod assembly and drag link assembly from Ford for my 2004 Damon Intruder F53. Hard to find, Napa could not source. Ford OEM online found and price was ok (dealer in Colorado will receive and I pick up, online price he said better than his price) but they no longer sell just tie rod ends.

Complete assembly $400 for both. I lost a boot on one tie rod and some creaking sounds generated and feel best to replace it all for safety. Only 28,000 miles but....better safe than sorry.

Question: I'm going to install myself then get alignment. Looking for Torque specs for the Drag Link nuts and the Tie Rod nuts specific to this model year F53. 2004.

Any Info is appreciated

Gary
Bakeryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2015, 12:01 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Lot of F53 chassis experts on the Ford Chassis forum, maybe they will chime in here.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:38 AM   #3

I thought tie rods you spin up until your coter pin goes in. But I'm not a ford guy
diesel1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:59 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Gary,

Tie Rod nut 16 to 22,000 chassis 85 ft/lbs
Tie Rod nut 24 to 26,000 chassis 130 ft/lbs

Tie Rod adjusting sleeve nut 59 ft/lbs

Drag link nut 130 ft/lbs

Since all torque specs are based on thread type and shaft sizes along with the tensile strength of the steel these specs will work. They are from a 2009 Ford dealer CD. I doubt these specs have changed much over the years. I've used them on my 2013 chassis with no issues at all.

Would I rebuild the V-10 Triton engine using these specs NO. But then again these days I wouldn't even try to rebuild the V-10 engine.

Do count your tie rod rotations when changing them. Get the adjustment as close to original as possible. Even driving a short distance with toe adjustment out will wear the tires.

TeJay
Old 04-01-2015, 11:35 AM   #5

Thank you for the information. If anyone has additional Torque Specs info specific to the 2004 model F53 that would be great. The 2003 numbers TeJay provided likely fine but when I ordered my new parts there was no issue getting tie rod ends if it was a 2003 but for 2004 only could buy complete assembly which makes me wonder if they changed between years.

Thanks for the reminder on counting threads. I plan to do that and some measuring and maybe tape lines to get me close to where I'm at now. Had a recent alignment last year with new tires so don't want to mess that up and my alignment place is not real close.

Mine is the F53, 22,000 # chassis.

Gary
Bakeryman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat