Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-23-2016, 10:04 AM   #15
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
When I had tire work done by Love's, they used a pneumatic impact wrench to install the lug nuts. Then they used a huge torque wrench to tighten each nut. They further suggested that I stop at another Love's 300 miles down the road to have the lug nuts re-torqued at no charge.
At Les Schwab, they used just the impact wrench and said this is how they do it throughout the chain. They felt that the impact wrench was unnecessary.
Who is right?
If that's how Les Schwab does it "throughout the chain" methinks you should avoid Les Schwab.

I recommend that anyone who bought tires from Les Schwab have their wheel lugs checked and tightened with a torque wrench...(which any tire shop that knows what it's doing will have... and use)

'96 Safari

mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2016, 10:15 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
My 22.5 inch Monaco wheels are torqued to 450-500 ft lbs.

My 16 inch aluinum trailer wheels are torqued to 120-140 ft lbs.

My 17 inch Saturn Vue wheels are torqued to 100 ft. lbs.

All wheels will have a torque specification no matter who makes them.

Plus all tire shops that install tires will tell you to re-check the torque in the next 50-100 miles. That is a CYA statement in case the lugs loosen up for any reason.

I have never found a loose lug nut after they have been correctly torqued to the specification listed above.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:57 AM   #17

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When having the two front tires changed the mechanic at the Loves truck stop the mechanic had me observe his use and measurements with the long torque wrench. That made me feel very good about their expertise.

Jarheads with air guns can stretch lug bolts and nuts. We worry about tire pressures, why should we not get the bolts correct?
Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 03:48 PM   #18
When you have a lug head torquing lug nut only with impact wrench it is nuts...

Sorry long day in the yard...
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 03:55 PM   #19
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I had tires put on the Dutch Star they used a big, long torque wrench and they guy was pretty large too. I also have a torque multiplier and with it I only need 154#s to get 500 ft lbs on the lugs.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 04:57 PM   #20
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
Come to think of it, Love's also did not allow my 31,000 pound bus to slide off their jacks like LS did. Fortunately, the employee under it at the time was very slim and the tire nearest him was already installed. True story, happened yesterday.
LS did the same thing with my rv, slipped off the jack stands. Only damage was one crushed stainless wheel cover. I went for a walk while the young fellow worked on the tire change, and returned just after it happened. He was quite nervous, but I him calmed him by saying mistakes are made when you work for a living. We were on vacation at the time, but when we returned home there was a new stainless wheel cover on my porch.
Kevin n Chriss - 2015 Newmar Bay Star-
1993 Fleetwood Bounder -The Flounder-
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:31 PM   #21
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
When having the two front tires changed the mechanic at the Loves truck stop the mechanic had me observe his use and measurements with the long torque wrench. That made me feel very good about their expertise.

Jarheads with air guns can stretch lug bolts and nuts. We worry about tire pressures, why should we not get the bolts correct?
Sir, my US Marine and I take GREAT OFFENSE.

I am no fan of our PC culture, but you should not use a term exclusively associated with the USMC to describe less than skilled techs!
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:11 PM   #22
Trouble is a lot of the time the torque wrench is just for show because the impact gun already overtorqued the nuts.
Easy to tell - just watch the socket when they use the torque wrench. If it doesn't rotate before it clicks, then the nut was already overtorqued.

The other dead giveaway for ignorance is when they don't even ask what torque you should have and whether that torque is for clean dry threads or lubricated threads. Those that slather some gunk out of a big pail all over the threads and rim with a big brush should be drowned in it as an example to the rest of the crew. If the spec was for clean dry threads then applying the spec torque to lubricated threads has probably way over stretched the studs by a factor of up to 3

And I'd bet your tyre pressures are 100psi all-round. Easy to remember.
Tony Lee - International Grey Nomad. Picasa Album - Travel Map
RVs. USA - Airstream Cutter; in Australia - MC8 40' DIY Coach conversion & OKA 4x4 MH; in Germany - Hobby Class C; in S America - F350 with 2500 10.6 Bigfoot camper
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:30 PM   #23
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The guy at Les Shwab just used an impact gun on mine.
What I was'nt impressed with, was he did'nt tighten them in a criss-cross pattern. Just started at 12:00 and went around the rim !!
Ben & Sharon
2008 43' Holiday Rambler Scepter PDQ
96 Wideglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:42 PM   #24
Well gang,
As usual, generalities prevail. I've had the pleasure of dealing with two different Les Schwab stores and they not only were courteous and willing to get the job done quickly to get us back on the road but, they were PROFESSIONAL too. I watched as they jacked up the front of our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT with two, air powered 20 ton jacks. ZERO issue there.

Then, they did the tire work/balance work and, remounted the 255 80R 22.5" Alloy wheels and tires back on the front with great care. They then spun all 10 lug nuts on each side very lightly 'till they bottomed out. At that point, they brought out the big 3/4" drive torque wrench. At that time, they let down both jacks simultaneously. The did the same exact procedure that I do when I remove and re-install my own wheels. That is, they torqued them to the 1/2 way point of the total torque required for those wheels/lugs. And that was 225 ft.lbs.

The torque wrench was reset to 450 ft. lbs. and, all 20 were retorqued to that setting. They were very conscious and aware of the highly polished wheels and took all precautions to avoid damage.

I'm not too sure I'd qualify that all Les Schwab outlets are operated the same. I was thoroughly happy with the service I received from them.
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:11 PM   #25
Ford Super Duty Owner
I never allowed a vehicle to leave my shop without the wheels being torqued. That's a bit different when you have to torque to 450 ft lbs but torque multipliers ot just the correct sized TW will do the job.

I was always skeptical for the torque sticks until last spring when I taught a class at the local Vo-Tech. My assistant owned an alignment and tire shop and he used the torque sticks and said they do work well. He checked them again accurate torque wrenches.

The most critical aspect of torquing is that all the lugs are torqued the same. Un-equal torque will warp a rotor.

Another reason why we torque. Bolts will come loose unless they are stretched but they can't be stretched beyond their elastic limit. That's why they come loose or break. If they are not stretched a certain amount they will come loose. Stretched to much and they will fatigue and break.

All going well with you FIRE UP???
TeJay (Tim) Auto Instructor 35 yrs (4-yrs USAF) Liz: RN/ WBGO 2014 Vista 30T/ F-53/ CHF/5-Star/Koni/Centramatics * Bella- Golden/Cocker mix & Louie-The cat / All Retired
TeJay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:25 PM   #26

Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
IMHO torquing is necessary. I use a 3/4" socket set from HF and a 4' pipe as an extension. My son and I torqued the wheels about 6 months ago, he weighed 100 lb at the time so just stood on the end of the pipe for 400 ft lb. He's grown some more so we'll have to do some math the next time!
Right, that sounds pretty accurate. Then of course you could use a 5' pipe and feed the kid 7 burgers (singles of course) which should give you about 525 Lb. Ft of torque +_ 72.5% More or less.
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:36 PM   #27
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the torque stick and loaned it to the guy that put my tires on. I bought it for my use if I need it on the road.
Jerry and Barbara,
2005 Nat Sea Breeze 1321
2010 Honda CR-V toad
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:45 PM   #28
I worked for a major OEM supplier of heavy truck hubs, Brake drums and rotors. We were curious about torque stiks and ran some tests. We found them to be very repeatable for one gun. Meaning, you would get pretty much the same torque every time with the same gun. Problem was, it wasn't necessarily the torque marked on the stik. And, with a different impact wrench, the torque would be different. It all stands to reason, since the torque delivered is a factor of the impact wrench's interaction with the radial displacement of the torque stik. Different wrench, different torque.

Bottom line? If somebody uses one of these things on your vehicle, double check with a torque wrench.

John McKinley
2007 Damon Daybreak 3060, Ford 16,000# Chassis,
Ford C-Max Hybrid Toad , Suzuki V Strom 1000cc
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote