Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2016, 07:34 PM   #1

Torque wrench recommendations

I've been following a recent thread about lug nuts but I didn't want to hi-jack that thread.
I want to buy a torque wrench capable of 500-600 lb-ft to be able to torque my lugs after wheel removal if needed. Do any of you have any recommendations for brands/models or what to avoid?
I found a Precision Instruments C5D600F 1 in. Drive. Split Beam Click Type Torque Wrench that seems reasonably priced. Any opinions?
I also have stud piloted wheels. Is the OTC 1949A the socket that I would need?
Thanks.

GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2016, 07:42 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Standard 150 lb ft 1/2 drive and a Proto torque multiplier works for me. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a socket set that included a 33mm socket.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Standard 150 lb ft 1/2 drive and a Proto torque multiplier works for me. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a socket set that included a 33mm socket.
I haven't priced a multiplier. I found the torque wrench mentioned above for around $350. I understand there are corrections to be made when using a multiplier so I wonder about the accuracy. If the 1/2 drive torque wrench is off 4-5%, it seems the multiplier would multiply that. I dunno.
As for the 33mm socket, do you have hub piloted wheels?
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:03 PM   #4

It would still be 4-5%, just a lot more pounds of torque.

5% of 100 = 5
5% of 400= 20

Not enough to worry about. Besides a 150 ft-lb torque wrench could be handy for other things.

The 500 ft-lb monster is only good for wheels and beating people.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:40 AM   #5

I use one of these with a torque multiplier:
https://store.snapon.com/US-Reading-...h-P642559.aspx

I didn't buy it specifically for this use, but rather bought it a number of years ago when I was in the auto and truck repair business.

The torque multiplier I use is similar to this one:
Klutch Torque Multiplier | Torque Wrenches| Northern Tool + Equipment

A 500 lb. capacity torque wrench is a beast to handle and store. It's much easier to use a smaller capacity wrench with a torque multiplier. The larger wrenches require either 3/4" or 1" sockets. They are usually 42" to 48" long and weigh close to 20 lbs. Being that large they are limited as to where they can be used. They also generally have a minimum setting of 100 lbs.

While you'll still need either a 3/4" or 1" drive socket to fit your lug nuts the wrench itself can use 1/2" drive sockets which are far more common and far less expensive. Depending on the torque multiplier you choose you'll also need either a 3/4" or 1" adaptor from the smaller wrench to the adaptor itself.

The cost either way is a wash. It's just easier to handle and store the smaller wrench and torque multiplier than the monster wrench.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:35 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
So you really only need to put 125 lbs of pressure on a 500 lb on a lug nut with a 48" torque wrench?
Old 01-28-2016, 11:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
So you really only need to put 125 lbs of pressure on a 500 lb on a lug nut with a 48" torque wrench?
Yes, the longer the lever the less you push.

You would need a bit more because you can't push right at the end of the wrench.

*One*pound-foot*is the*torquecreated by one*pound*force acting at a perpendicular distance of one*foot*from a pivot point.*
Old 01-28-2016, 11:37 AM   #8

I store my 650 Lb/Ft torque wrench at the tire shop. Every 3-4 years when I need it, I just go there and the big guy who works there comes out and does his thing. My days of wielding this kind of iron are long gone.
Too bad you young fellas weren't around for my garage sale, I sold a Snap On 1/2" X 3/4" Multiplier and a Snap On 250 Lb/Ft torque wrench (recently calibrated) for a hundred bucks.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:13 PM   #9

G A Navigator,
I purchased my Proto, 100-600 lb. Torque wrench off ebay for $75.00. I have had the accuracy checked and, it's dead on. It's NOT A BEAST TO HANDLE and or STORE. Christ, it's only four feet long and, in the steel box it came in, only about 4" wide and 3" tall. It sits under my cabinets in the garage, no one knows it's there.

I purchased this torque wrench for the specific purpose of use on the wheels on the coach. To me, mainly 'cause I do all my own work, it was worth it to buy one for a specific purpose. I also have a 0-250 lb. torque wrench too. It get's used for other purposes.

But, it's really, really nice to remove those wheels, do what you intend to do, inspect, work, clean, whatever, and then re-install those wheels and be able to torque the lug nuts to the proper torque without calculating anything. Just set the wrench at the dial and, torque away.

Now, I will say that, even with a 4' long torque wrench, you're going to put some effort in it. 450 ft. lbs. is a LOT OF FOOT LBS. My lugs are the two-piece type. Now, it's not often you get a $400, well working, torque wrench for $75.00 but, I got lucky. I've checked every now and then and, they pop up on ebay but, not for long.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 02:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
G A Navigator,
I purchased my Proto, 100-600 lb. Torque wrench off ebay for $75.00. I have had the accuracy checked and, it's dead on. It's NOT A BEAST TO HANDLE and or STORE. Christ, it's only four feet long and, in the steel box it came in, only about 4" wide and 3" tall. It sits under my cabinets in the garage, no one knows it's there.

I purchased this torque wrench for the specific purpose of use on the wheels on the coach. To me, mainly 'cause I do all my own work, it was worth it to buy one for a specific purpose. I also have a 0-250 lb. torque wrench too. It get's used for other purposes.

But, it's really, really nice to remove those wheels, do what you intend to do, inspect, work, clean, whatever, and then re-install those wheels and be able to torque the lug nuts to the proper torque without calculating anything. Just set the wrench at the dial and, torque away.

Now, I will say that, even with a 4' long torque wrench, you're going to put some effort in it. 450 ft. lbs. is a LOT OF FOOT LBS. My lugs are the two-piece type. Now, it's not often you get a $400, well working, torque wrench for $75.00 but, I got lucky. I've checked every now and then and, they pop up on ebay but, not for long.
Scott
I don't know what brand wrench you have, but the Snap On 200 - 600 lb. wrench is over 4' long and weighs about 25 lbs. A similar one from Northern Tool is over 42" long and weighs about the same. The one from Mac Tools is also 48" long and in the same weight range.

I would say any of them would be larger than I would want to carry around in the motorhome on the off chance you might need it when you change a tire.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
I don't know what brand wrench you have, but the Snap On 200 - 600 lb. wrench is over 4' long and weighs about 25 lbs. A similar one from Northern Tool is over 42" long and weighs about the same. The one from Mac Tools is also 48" long and in the same weight range.

I would say any of them would be larger than I would want to carry around in the motorhome on the off chance you might need it when you change a tire.
Hikerdogs,
As stated in my previous post, it's PROTO brand torque wrench. No Sir, I've not weighed it. And, I don't carry it in the coach. As stated, it sits under my garage cabinets when not in use. The primary reason I purchased it is because, I do all my own work, including brake inspections, wheel/hub seals, S-cam lubing and anything else that involves removing the wheels and tires. But, all this is done at home. I don't carry a spare so, I really don't plan on changing any of the coach tires and wheels while out on the road.

I do carry the Torque multiplier you see in the picture below. With that tool, which, is in case about the size of finish nail gun kit, I can very, very easily remove those 450 ft. lb. lug nuts, with one arm. About the only time I would use that on the road is, if we did have a blow out and, needed road service, I'd maybe, MAYBE break out that torque multiplier and loosen all the lug nuts way in advance of the ERS tech arriving. I figure maybe it might take a bit off the total time we're sitting on the side of the road if I help even a little bit.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:53 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Can you give a brief explanation of how it works?
Old 01-28-2016, 04:59 PM   #13

I was going to get the LW-750 from X4 tools, which is a 4:1 ratio. They provide an accurate correction curve for using a torque wrench. The issue with many of the very low ratio, eg., 16:1, tools is they use a handle and you can't measure the torque. An accurate torque wrench is then required for the X4, which if you really want to ensure it's correct should be calibrated.

http://www.x4tool.com/3-4-inch-torque-multipliers
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Can you give a brief explanation of how it works?
The black end ( socket ) goes on the nut you want to get loose.

The yellow finger rests against the next lug.

In the big end ( left side in picture ) there is a reduction gear set.

You turn the left end with a torque wrench 4 turns to 1 turn of the socket if it is a 4 to 1 multiplier. It will turn with 4 times less effort.