Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-03-2016, 01:10 AM   #1
Red face Total Newbie water heater question

My husband and I just purchased a used 2012 Thor Serrano 34' motorcoach.
We are both brand new to this RV life. We are on a "practice trip" close to home this weekend and did surprisingly well setting up our water and sewer lines. We have water, but, only cold. Nothing is coming out of the hot side of the faucets. I am sure this is an easy fix, we are just clueless as to what we can check. I have no clue how to know if there is water in the hot water heater and the manual has no information on this. Only states that you can only turn water heater on when you are sure it is full of water. Since we have no water in the hot lines, my guess would be no. Thanks for any help!

jodees is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2016, 01:25 AM   #2
Check the bypass valve, should be near the water heater. It may be set to bypass for winterizing. Just turn it to the other position and then turn on the water heater

Eddie and Carol
2001 Monoco Diplomat
eddie g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:32 AM   #3
As above, but do not turn water heater on. Purge the hot side first to fill the tank, it'll splutter and cough a fair bit until it's through, remember to purge all faucets. Once through then turn heater on.

The bypass setup is at the back of the heater typically accessed from inside the coach.
Si, Sarah and Shelby the westie
2008 Damon Daybreak 3070
98 TJ, 4" lift, 31s, usual stuff
Dodgey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:27 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello and We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy our website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:12 AM   #5
Definitely sounds like the valves are not in the correct position. Usually there are three valves in the water lines on the rear of the water heater. For normal operation the valves in the water in and out lines should be open and the valve in the short line between the two should be closed. As mentioned above be sure the water tank is full before turning the heater on or else you will be buying a new heating element.
2004 Hurricane 32R F53, 2010 Ranger, 2016 Harley Switchback, 1 wife and 4 cats
jrd48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:25 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have to agree the by pass valves are in the winterize position.
This is an easy fix.
Please do not turn on the water heater until you have water coming out the hot facet.
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:29 AM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
Are you sure the tank is purged and full?? If the bypass is on, cold water will flow around the hot water tank, not into and out of it, but you will get cold water from the the faucet hot. If the bypass is in between bypass on and bypass off, God only knows what you'd get, probably get no flow at all. Here's what I'd do:

Before Using the Water Heater

Before using the water heater, purge all trapped air from the
water system and water heater.
To Purge the Air and Pressurize the System:
• Remove the access panel to the back of the water heater.
• Turn the water heater Bypass Valve (located at the back of the water heater) to Normal Flow. If necessary replace drain plug.
• Fill the fresh water tank or hook to city water.
• Turn ON the water pump or city water.
• Turn ON the hot and cold valves for each faucet, one at a time. Operate each faucet, inside and outside the motorhome, until a steady stream of water with no air bubbles or air pockets are present. DO NOT operate the water heater until the water system is purged of air.
• After the system pressurizes, inspect the water heater and water system for leaks.
After purging the water lines and water heater, air may still be present. Use caution upon opening a hot water faucet after the first heat cycle of the water heater.
IF YOU SMELL GAS extinguish all open flames and turn OFF the primary LP-Gas valve. DO NOT touch any electrical switches. They may cause a spark that can ignite. Open all windows and doors. Evacuate the motorhome. Propane is a heavy gas and will lie on the floor and hide in corners. Liquid propane is highly volatile, explosive and extremely dangerous. Explosion, fire, property damage, injury or death can result. Contact a qualified service center to have the problem correctly diagnosed and repaired before resuming.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:33 AM   #8
Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can one valve or three, depending, the three valve system is just like a water softener bypass, if that helps, but my valve is outside in one of the water bays, but make sure the drain plug is installed in the water heater. some people, like myself pull the plug when winterizing. Enjoy the learning curve and Happy New year
Mike & Becky
2005 Gulfstream Crescendo 8356
Frutza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:42 AM   #9
Originally Posted by Frutza View Post
You can one valve or three, depending, the three valve system is just like a water softener bypass, if that helps, but my valve is outside in one of the water bays, but make sure the drain plug is installed in the water heater. some people, like myself pull the plug when winterizing. Enjoy the learning curve and Happy New year
Yep, when a lot of people winterize the water heater they drain it and either leave the plug out or in loosely. Just check before your shower (LOL). Also check to see that the toggle on the overpressure/overtemp valve is seated. Often that'll be open to let the water heater drain quicker when winterizing.

Welcome to the RV world. Have fun.
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 Toad
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 04:38 PM   #10
Thanks so much to all of you

We did it - we now have hot water! Yep, just needed to turn the valve and let the spouts spit a fair bit. All is good now thanks.

I am sure I will be back again, so until then, THANKS!

jodees is offline   Reply With Quote

heat, heater, newbie, water, water heater