Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #15

EM,
I've been checking prices at Lowe's, Wally-world and online before buying. I intend to study the owner's manuals so I know this rig better than she knows herself =) I do know a little about wiring (radio shack, 5 yrs worth) and I was actually looking for a 10 gauge cord, 30 amp. The generator works but needs a charge and I'm wondering if it would be better to use the generator now and then to take the strain off the house. The convection oven/microwave that came with the coach doesn't have a glass plate and I've never used a convection oven. I have a separate microwave, a hot plate, and a toaster over that I was using in my old camper (it was falling apart literally and couldn't be towed behind a vehicle any longer.) I have full access to my daughter's house but quite frankly, the children can be a tad overwhelming so Granny needs her peace and quiet =) I have computers on surge protectors and I really don't plan to move Ethyl until she is completely road worthy. The son-in-law's father is coming over this weekend to help his son get the electrical problem solved and the water hose run. I can't tell y'all how much I appreciate all the help you've given me in just a day =) Thank you all so much.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #16

Thanks so much for all the help guys and gals. I'm going to be learning as much as I can as quickly as I can so expect a lot of questions =)
Thanks again.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Again, just to beat a dead horse...

Ethyl does not use 220!
Old 02-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
MerryK,
You are getting a lot of good advice and I know you will get your "Ethyl" ship-shape and road-worthy in no time. Your willingness to ask questions of and listen to the advice of this community will carry you through.

Allow me to strongly suggest that one of your immediate purchases be a good battery-powered smoke detector... Even better would be a combination Carbon Monoxide/Smoke detector. The latter is a little more pricey, but money well spent.

You are sequestering yourself (and possibly the grand-darlings) in an older MH on which you do not know what kind of Jack-Leg wiring has been perfomed through the years.

Additionally, you are powering it up with an extension cord which may become overloaded. This has an inherent risk of making the HVAC (HeatingVentilationAirConditioning) system as well as the heavier draw appliances (toaster, microwave, space heaters, blow dryer, etc.) struggle and load the wiring... causing excessive heat. Get that Smoke Detector right away, please.

Keep us posted on you progress... we all love a good story with a happy ending!
Take care,
Jim
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #19

For safety reasons, I'd strongly suggest having an electrically competent friend wire the house with a new 30A breaker and outlet for you. Hopefully, the outlet you're thinking of using is on the garage & the breaker panel for the house is in there too (makes wiring much easier). Here's a link to some info on doing that: 30 amp RV Plug

With a 75' run from the RV to the house, I'd consider a less expensive length of underground cable. Just like Romex used in house remodeling except it's gray and the jacket is thicker. It is stiff, but much less expensive then extension cords. You can either dig a trench (4"-6" deep) or just lay it on the ground.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:17 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Remember, the length of that extension cord is critical. If you go a long distance with a 12 gauge cord it becomes a 14 gauge cord and limits the draw you can make from whatever you are using in the motorhome. If you are only using lights and the tv, you'll be fine. However if you try using the electric hot water heater or the a/c or the micro wave, the amount of amps is critical. Over time you will figure it all out, and now that you bought this motorhome, it's time to buy a gas station so you can have fun and take it on the road.....happy trails and enjoy it.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #21

Steve & Sally,
I have a bunch of people here who try to tell me what I can and can't use...first the extension cord has to be 10 gauge/30 amp. Ok, got that. The RV is 80 feet from the house/plug-in. need a 100 foot cord but I won't be able to use anything in the RV along with A/C. May not be able to use the cord. ok..so why? Distance too far..move RV closer to receptacle..Can't, has to stay where it is...so now what? Hooked into the shop circuit and blew breakers in the house for the shop.....*sigh*
I can disconnect things when I'm not using them. I can run the generator (once I get it charged) to run A/C. It's starting to get warm, I'm gonna need that A/C soon. What I want to run...computer, speakers, a light or two, coffee-maker (gotta have that),...question, are devices pulling mega power when they aren't turned on but ARE plugged in?
Old 02-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #22

Jim,
I thought not but what do I know? I don't know about the tanks..gray, black..water, generator, fuel...nothing. The owner's manual assumes you know something...which I don't.
I haven't learned to hook up a hose for water and what I need for it or how to use it. I gave up on the convection/microwave oven, missing a knob for microwave. I don't know how good the generator is but have been told that it's fine, just needs to be charged.
Man I feel like such an idiot but I really want to learn.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #23

Jim,
there are already two in the RV, don't know if they work, replaced the batteries just in case. The CM detector is a good idea and will get one pronto. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:21 AM   #24

don't buy a regular extension cord at lowes or home depot. go get an RV extension cord! you try to run that distance on a regular extension cord you're gonna burn something up.

Jim had the best idea, have an electrician come straight from their breaker panel, out to where you're set up with underground service cable, put in some type of pole, and mount an exterior grade box on it to plug into. just like at the campgrounds! this way you can run anything and everything.

if you plan on running the A/C in the summer, you WILL need a 30 amp circuit to run it on. yes, it will run for a while if you go to walmart and buy one of those $8 adapters. but that adapter is a 15 amp adapter, and if you run the A/C for very long on that low amps, you'll burn up the compressor, or you'll replace the start capacitor over and over.

do they need to rewire their house? absolutely not. but it wouldn't hurt to have an RV specific plug run, with proper gauge wire, breaker and recepticle. might cost a little to have it run, but that would be less than a new A/C unit and repair on your new baby
Old 02-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #25

Bob,
I'm looking at a 10 gauge, 30 amp cord. Got a guy coming over tonight to check it out. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #26

Papachaz,
thank you for your input. I found a 50 ft cord and 25 ft cord at an rv dealer up the road, 10 gauge, 30 amp for both. The son-in-law wants to bury the cables because his landlord is ummm a tad bit picky about the yard. I don't care if it gets buried. I want to run the A/C, a computer with speakers, fridge, coffee maker, and maybe a light. I don't want to overload circuits and thought that maybe I could run the generator for A/C?
Old 02-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #27

ok after reading a little further through the thread, maybe someone needs to give a little more explanations for you?

black water tank is where the toilet goes. there are so many different sizes, i won't even try to guess what yours is. you can read debate after debate all over the internet as to 'i use this chemical, no i use that chemical, no i don't use any chemical' i'll let you study those and decide for yourself. there are some very important things to remember about the black tank.

how are you going to dump the tank? do they have a clean out on their sewer/septic system you can dump it into? you need to know what you're going to do with the sewage.

even if they have a clean out you can stay permanently attached to, leave the drain valve (the 3" gate valve) CLOSED until you're 2/3 to 3/4 of the way full. the reason for this is so that you keep enough water in there for the solids to float, and not 'pyramid' (pile up in one spot and become hard). if you were to leave the gate valve open all the time, the water will run out faster than the solids.

don't let anyone put anything down the toilet other than what you 'use it' for. no feminie products, birth control....just what wastes the body produces, and the paper to clean up with. again, you'll read all kinds of discussions on what paper to use, if it says safe for septic systems, you'll be fine.

go watch this video, it is a great one on black tanks
Old 02-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #28

ok yet another reply from me, LOL Hey Merry! HAHAHA i understand about the land lord not wanting the cords buried. if you're using RV cords, you should be ok to run the a/c. not sure what kind of generator you have, but it would get expensive keeping gas in a genny to run full time a/c with!

for your other electrical items, you should be fine. also, to give a little bit of electrical relief, the fridge may be able to run on propane. which would give a little bit of relief to the electrical system

Tags
rving