Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #1

Totally New To RV'ing

Hello,
I bought an old 1986 Holiday Rambler Imperial, Class A, 35 foot just a few days ago. It is worth the price I paid.
I have some questions that I hope somebody can answer.
A little more info first:
The motor is bad although the thing will turn over. I don't mind it because I'm planning to have the motor rebuilt eventually.
My question is: when plugging the power cord into a outside (house) electrical socket, what do I need to know? Can it be plugged into a 110 socket? Does it need special wiring or cords? The power cord is only 20 feet long but I need to stretch it to 75 ft. can I plug an extension cord into it? Do I need a special extension cord and where would I get one?
Like I said folks, what I know about motor homes wouldn't fill a thimble. I'm looking forward to becoming an active RV'er eventually and would like to learn all I can about my new home. I'm currently staying in my daughter's back yard and I love having my own little "mother-in-law's place" I have to stay in the house with my daughter's family ( 4 kids, hubby and two new 7 week old puppies) so getting into the RV (her name is Ethyl, after my favorite great aunt) ASAP is a necessity for my sanity. Any and all help would be appreciated
Merry
MerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2012, 07:11 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hello Merry, Welcome to iRV2. I don't have the knowledge to help you with your questions, but trust me, there are alot of folks here who are very helpful, and I am sure they will show up soon to help you out. Wishing you the best of luck with "Ethyl" and hope all works out for you. Take care.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hello MerryK, welcome to the forum. What kind of electrical service do you have on the coach, 30 (3 prong plug)or 50 amp (4 prong plug). You can run the coach from an extension cord if you have the proper plug adapter/s and heavy enough cord. The more specific information you can give, they better chance someone here can help you.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Merry; you'll need a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter and a 12-3 75' outdoor extension cord.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #5

you have got to be joking =), that's it? My stars, everyone else I've talked to says I need to run new wiring from the house breaker box, install an outdoor outlet, all new wiring...and the list goes on and on.
I think I have the adapter already. I haven't even begun to explore the RV yet. I don't know what goes where, who to contact to get the tanks dumped (or if that's even possible without driving it to a facility,) or if I can take the shades down to wash them. I've been pouring over the owner's manual and a lot of the things that expert RV'ers know, the writers of the manuals don't think to tell us newbies.
I appreciate your answer DDB =) thanks
Merry
Old 02-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
Hello MerryK, welcome to the forum. What kind of electrical service do you have on the coach, 30 (3 prong plug)or 50 amp (4 prong plug). You can run the coach from an extension cord if you have the proper plug adapter/s and heavy enough cord. The more specific information you can give, they better chance someone here can help you.
Heh, you are getting technical on me. LOL Yes, I know I need to learn.

I've been told by the son-in-law that I have both 220 3 prong/slanty prong and 110 3 prong, pretty sure it's 30 amp. I don't even know where to get an extension cord for her or what kind to get.
By coach, I assume you mean the non-driveable part?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #7

thanks GS.
Ethyl's a good old girl like me, a lot of rough road on her but lots of fun time miles left on her.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy Merry and welcome. You can get the heavy duty extension cord and adapters at Walmart. (Most large Walmarts have an RV department.) You may not be able to run all the systems in the RV on a 110 outlet without flipping a breaker on the house. This will depend on what else might be on the circuit (in the house.)

You will definitely need to drive the RV to a dump station to empty the tanks.

Here are some Youtube links to helpful videos... YOUTUBE VIDEOS

RVGEEKS VIDEOS
Old 02-22-2012, 07:15 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've been told by the son-in-law that I have both 220 3 prong/

Merryk,, you do not have 220, repeat, you do not have 220.. Please find someone local to explain all the systems to you. there are so many systems on an RV that are not like "home". save a lot of expense my being shown "what is what". Even ideas on draining the tanks,, Look up Rv clubs in your area, good sam etc call some one and ask for help. Good luck
Old 02-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #10

That 3 prong plug the SIL calls 220 is really a 30 amp plug for 110 volts. If you want to use the microwave, AC, or an electric heater you will need a long enough cord to reach and be capable of carrying 30 amps. It will take at least a 10 gauge or 8 gauge for that distance. Your daughter could have a 30 amp outlet installed for you if they have enough capacity left in their electric service. Running a water line is best done with the white hose that does not give off the rubber or plastic taste. In freezing temps that will freeze so you will have to use the built in tank if possible. Depending on the land it may be possible to allow the grey water to drain onto the ground but the black (toilet) should not be done this way. If it is a problem you may find a Port-A-Potti will let you take it to the house and empty there when necessary. Before using this on the highway I would definitely flush the brake fluid and check the tires for age. On an RV the tires will rot before going bald and this will give you a blowout. Make sure there are no roof l eaks and you should be secure for a while.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy the site. If you decide to use just a #12 extension cord you will very limited to what you can use onboard. If you overload the circuit you'll be doing a lot of walking to and from the house. As mentioned you DO NOT have 220V for your rig. That 30amp plug is an rv plug and is only unsed for 120v service. A lot of people confuse that plug with a 30amp 220v dryer plug which again is NOT what you have. Hope all works out but again be careful of your power usage and enjoy the stay at the daughters. If you have questions don't be afraid to ask them.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryK View Post
I've been told by the son-in-law that I have both 220 3 prong/slanty prong and 110 3 prong, pretty sure it's 30 amp. I don't even know where to get an extension cord for her or what kind to get.
By coach, I assume you mean the non-driveable part?

NO 220!! You'll blow all your electrical systems if you plug it into a 220!

AND BTW WELCOME!!!

Old 02-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #14

Merry- given your level of expertise, I'd shop for the extension cord at Lowes or H.D., and ask to make sure you are getting a 12 gauge extension cord.
THEN, you will have to make sure you are not exceeding the rating of the cord, particularly the plug ends. Most pre-made extension cords have really cheap plug ends that don't hold up, melt, & short out with prolonged (full time) use. I've had that happen even on premade 30 amp plugs.
Fortunatley you can replace the plug ends with a 20A rated Leviton or other name brand end (also Lowes or H.D.) which would be a good idea to start. Now the weak link will be the "dog-bone" or adapter 30A to 15A cord that the coach came with. You could also replace the plug end on that to a 20A.
And then, you will still be limited on what you can use in the coach for electricity. I've lived in our coach w/limited stuff running for several days off the above setup, and done fine, but never on a semi-permanent basis.

Sooooo, if you really want to make full use of the house electrical in the coach for this long term stay, you would need to get the 30A outlet installed and a 30A extension cord, which improvement work takes an electrician or some DIY'er who knows her way around wiring & electrical loads.

Tags
rving