Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2015, 12:16 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Tow brake

Do I need tow brake and what do you recommend

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2015, 12:38 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What kind of RV and toad do you have?

I always suggest a braking system due to the fact that when your toad separates from your coach it will stop in a timely manner.

I use a Sterling Road Master braking system.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:43 AM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've used the RoadMaster BrakeMaster 9160 for many years. Once installed it's easy to set up and requires no maintenance.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:33 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I suppose if you live in the two states that don't require one and don't plan on traveling to other states you won't. Most others will: http://www.rvpartscenter.com/pdfs/TowBrakeLaws.pdf
"Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:37 AM   #5

There are many good systems out there. Should you use one? I think yes. Why? Because a toad brake system will keep a 2 or 3 or 4 thousand pound car/truck from pushing you when you need to stop. This is especially important when you need to stop in a hurry. Or worse yet making a panic stop when you are in a curve in the road. Nothing worst than a un-braked toad trying to perform a "Pit Maneuver" on your coach!

Which one? I like the M&G Engineering system. Very easy to hook up with only one quick disconnect air line to hookup and you are all set to go. My sister and brother in law and us were side by side at a campground. We both started to hook up our toads at the same time. I with the M&G Engineering system and he with one of those systems where you have to put a "big box" into the drivers floor area and calibrate the connection to the brake pedal. I got finished first and went over to help him. My sister wasn't physically able to lift the big box and set it into the floor of their toad due to the bending and twisting her little body had to do.

I talked him into getting the Ready Brake system since his coach/toad just wasn't a good match for the M&E system. He now loves his setup!

Its really up to you. Do they work? YES. Are they beneficial? YES Are they required by law? I don't know! It's a real gray area. Do I recommend you get one? YES!

Good luck with your decision.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:52 AM   #6

Do you need a tow brake system if towing a toad? Yes! I do tow my 6x10 enclosed Motorcycle with a 2000lb GVWR without brakes but my Jeep gets the Brake Buddy. The braking systems are not cheap but keep you legal and you and others safe. Strongly recommend!
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:41 AM   #7

I recommend the SMI systems. I say "systems" because they make one for RVs without air brakes and one for RVs with air brakes. I had the one for gassers installed with my first RV, and now that I have a DP, it still works fine. Lifetime warranty, and super service. True proportional braking.
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:59 AM   #8

We use the SMI for a DP. Hooks up in minutes.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:14 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Larson View Post
I suppose if you live in the two states that don't require one and don't plan on traveling to other states you won't. Most others will: http://www.rvpartscenter.com/pdfs/TowBrakeLaws.pdf
That map is wrong for WA and CA if you're towing a motorized vehicle. It's taken from the AA's list of requirements for trailers. I've argued with RoadMaster over it some years back when I was a RoadMaster dealer and they said their legal department told them to use it. In lots of states a motorized vehicle being towed is not considered a trailer because it wasn't designed to be towed. You have to know or find out the definition of a "trailer" and do some digging.
WA, OR and CA go to a performance specification when towing a motorized vehicle. You need to be able to stop in XX feet from XX mph, if you can then no add'l braking is required. But then WA adds a requirement that the unhooked vehicle has to be able to hold itself in place for 15 min on any normal highway grade. To do that requires some sort of built in braking device.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:58 PM   #10
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
As the weight of the TOAD goes up or the capacity of the MH goes down, a braking system on the TOAD becomes more important.

I flat tow a 2200 lb Civic with a 30 ft Ford F53, I do not have brakes on the TOAD.

I take extraordinary steps to ensure the civic cannot break away from the MH. (Actually, the steps we take, we do anyway, even when we tow with a dolly that does have brakes and a break away system)

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:23 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Not mentioned yet is the RVI2 system. Lightweight, easy to set up and great customer service from the company. The breakaway safety feature is worth the price of admission. I have seen photos of the damage a runaway toad can do.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:11 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have the Ready Brute Elite tow bar and brake system coupled with a blue Ox base plate on our 2007 Honda CRV. We have towed our car over 3000 miles with our 1997 Winnebago Adventure 35' in the last 6 months. The tow bar has a surge brake that controls the brake pedal of the toad. I bought the Ready Brute Elite used from the classifieds on this site and the base plate on amazon. Here is the web site:
NSA RV Products - Ready Brake and Ready Brute Home

I found recommendations for it on threads here and am satisfied with the ease of use. It is lightweight, compact, and does everything we need it to do. We have never used anything else so I am unable to say whether it works better than other products. It was less expensive though and appears to be less of a hassle to use than some of the other configurations.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:21 AM   #13

Yes it is true. In some states you are not legally required to have auxiliary brakes on your toad. The additional weight, will affect your stopping distance. If you are careful, and everybody else is, you may never need to do a panic stop. I have friends that tow a jeep wrangler unlimited with out aux brakes. I asked him, if he has ever had to do a panic stop, he said nope. Quite simply, We use the RVI2 brake, to make it easier on the coaches brake system, and more importantly in the even of an "oh Sh_t" panic stop, I want the best chance I can have at being able to stop in time. Would have, Should have and Could have, will not cut it in that situation. And, If you unlucky enough to have an accident and the person you hit realizes that you don't have aux brakes (and they are required), the lawyers will have a field day.

I am not trying to scare you into it. Just letting you know what could happen. As someone else said, if your toad separates from your coach, without aux brakes you will have let loose a 3-5K free wheeling unguided missile. Also not a good thing to happen.

The decision is yours.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:48 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
InvisiBrake.

Tags
tow, tow brake, brake