Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #15

ISC versus ISBs, probably true but the ISBs did go up to 275 HP but torque stayed at the 660 level. The old C8.3 with more torque would work as well. Unfortunately I haven't found a lot of 90s that have a rated, legal, 10,000 lb tow capacity hence my question??? Michelb you say there are a lot of them. Do you just mean with the power or with the legal limit load as well?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
I haven't checked most of them but I suspect that late 90s mh with ISCs will have 10k towing limits. (E.g. in Fleetwoods, Bounder Diesel and Disc have ISB and 5k towing but American Tradition, Dream and Eagle have ISCs and have 10k towing). I suspect you'll get similar results with a lot of manufacturers (lower end and smaller models will have ISB and 5k towing, higher end and larger models will have ISC and 10k towing).

Old 05-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot View Post
ISC versus ISBs, probably true but the ISBs did go up to 275 HP but torque stayed at the 660 level. The old C8.3 with more torque would work as well. Unfortunately I haven't found a lot of 90s that have a rated, legal, 10,000 lb tow capacity hence my question??? Michelb you say there are a lot of them. Do you just mean with the power or with the legal limit load as well?
American Eagles of that vintage have 10,000 lb. tow capacity, but they are too long for what you are looking for (have read your other posts about size etc.)

They will also have the C8.3 engine.

DaveS
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
Old 05-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #18

Just a suggestion, you might try looking at Country Coach or Foretravel. They have some 36' models with at least the 8.3 Cummins and some of them with the 6V92 Detroit. Most of the Country Coach that size are on a Gillig chassis and Foretravel built there own for the Unihome models such as this one 1996 Foretravel U295 , Class A - Diesel RV For Sale By Owner in Milwaukee, Wisconsin | RVT.com - 133873 Not sure what the GCWR is on it but it does have a 10K hitch.

Mike
Old 05-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Hi fighterpilot,
Go to Newmar Resource Center | Brochures This site will give you the Newmar brochures for many years and models. In the brochure will be the chassis specs. You'll have all the information you need, for Newmar.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #20

Appreciate the suggestions. Have started looking at Country Coaches, but finding Gillig and Country Coach didn't really talk to each other regarding towing. In many cases Country Coach added the hitch, but in that case Gillig won't stand behind the higher tow capacity. If the hitch was on the chassis than Country Coach won't step up and support a higher capacity. The words are something like, 5000 lb rating. I have contact with one owner and he's trying to find something that will pin down the tow capability that is supported by paper work.

Thanks for the tip on Newmar. Will start checking them out as well.