Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #1

Tow Capacity?

Want to tow 7000lbs and be legal. Trying to determine capacity on a couple of MHs I am considering and the Owners don't seem to know how to answer the question. Wouold appreciate anyone with the type of MH or the manual reference to help me out. The Monacos in the late nintys are petty clear in their manuals. 10,000lbs.

Now, 1998 Winnebago Vetra Grand Tour, 35WQ. Owner says based on the weight of his mh going down the road and his GCWR definition in his paper work it would be around 2500 lbs. Surely that coach with the 275 Cummins diesel pusher can do better than that LEGALLY.

Next Coach, 1998 Fleetwood Discovery 1998 34Q, with 5.9 indicates limited to hitch load of 5000 lbs. Were they ever configured with a higher hitch rating or is that the best I can do in that size and vintage Discovery MH?

In motorhomes, other than the nintys Dynastys, will I have to go to 36 feet or larger to get the legal 7000 tow capacity? Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #2

I can't provide much help with the specific MHs but another factor to consider is the attachments. Most class 3 hitches are only rated to 6k lbs class 4 will handle 12k and class 5 up to 18k lbs. So depends what hitch was installed.
1 7/8 hitch ball is only rated at 2k lbs
2" hitch ball 3500 to 8k lbs
2 5/16 are 6k to 30k lbs.
So make sure you check more than just what the MH can pull.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #3

As a pilot you understand that it takes brakes to stop a load and HP to move a load. Most older MH are on truck mfg chassis. Springs, frame rails, brakes, load being carried, drive lines, transmission, and cooling capacity determine the end results and they know that the average person never considers any of this so they cover there a--
CHCam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi fighterpilot,
The components needed to be considered are:
1. Hitch rating
2. Coach GCWR
3. Weight of unit being towed

#2 comes into play if the coach GVWR is absolutely loaded with little to no room left and the GCWR is not at least 7K over the GVWR of the coach. You'll need to weight (I know it is a PITA) the coach loaded for travel.

Now for an editorial comment. I am hauling 37K total weight down the road. The Cummins ISC 330 requires patience on long grades. Keep this in mind as you look for a coach.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #5

Fighter..........please keep in mind that towing and hauling are vastly different. In one case you are pulling and of course the other means that you actually putting a load on the hitch. Pulling places a lot less stress on the tow vehicles suspension. Continued good luck in your search.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Often hard to figure. Many of the smaller RV chassis are extended by the coach builder adding a section to the frame. The longer moment arm to the hitch then decreases the chassis towing capacity.
Simply increasing the class of hitch itself won't change anything...The lowest limit of the components in Gary's post above determines the tow limit. Hitch limits are usually on a decal on the hitch itself. (apply only to the hitch..but can't be exceeded) Will give the tow capacity and tongue weight.
You may have to contact the MH manufacturer to get the limit for a particular unit. Bigger rigs with larger engines usually advertise they have a 10K+ towing capacity. and a sundeck...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Oh who cares! If you can hook it to the back and overcome the breakaway friction I'm thinking you can tow the damn thing. Maybe not very far and maybe not as safely as your Mom might like but hey, you're a fighter pilot right! But the freaking TopGun Soundtrack on and hit the road!
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #8

f14av8r, you are right, I am a fighterpilot, but I didn't survive 200 combat mission over Vietnam by being fool hardy. Should I have an accident, such as the hitch system or frame tear loose from the chassis when I do a violent maneauver and some one gets killed and it is determined the towing load exceeded the allowed load for the subject motorhome configuration, than the law suit follows. Even being legal the law suit might still follow but at least I am in a little better shape to defend.

I'm determined to be legal to tow the truck, 4 down, at 7000 lbs. Know can do that with the Monaco Dynastys but there must be other MH in the late 90s that can do that. Anyone with the Winnebagos, HR, Coachmans, Fleetwood lines, etc. that know theirs can do that I would appreciate the information. Maybe the chassis will take a higher load than the hitch. Maybe the mfg. put on a lesser hitch than would have been allowed. Need to know what the chassis GCWR is to be sure. Like wise for the other Monacos in the nintys, Such as the Windsors. Did they have the same GCWR capability as the Dynastys? Thanks
Old 05-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot View Post
Want to tow 7000lbs and be legal. Trying to determine capacity on a couple of MHs I am considering and the Owners don't seem to know how to answer the question. Wouold appreciate anyone with the type of MH or the manual reference to help me out. The Monacos in the late nintys are petty clear in their manuals. 10,000lbs.

Now, 1998 Winnebago Vetra Grand Tour, 35WQ. Owner says based on the weight of his mh going down the road and his GCWR definition in his paper work it would be around 2500 lbs. Surely that coach with the 275 Cummins diesel pusher can do better than that LEGALLY.

Next Coach, 1998 Fleetwood Discovery 1998 34Q, with 5.9 indicates limited to hitch load of 5000 lbs. Were they ever configured with a higher hitch rating or is that the best I can do in that size and vintage Discovery MH?

In motorhomes, other than the nintys Dynastys, will I have to go to 36 feet or larger to get the legal 7000 tow capacity? Thanks
You Read my Fred is bad to the bone thread, tow rating is 5000 lbs I pull a 10,000 lb trailer like it is not there.

Pay more attention to how and what the trailer hitch is bolted to.

I looked a quite a few that used Plain angle iron to extend the chassis 3-4 feet then hand the hitch off the angle iron, anything more than a flat tow or dolly is unsafe.

My Fred has a Real Frame rail that reaches the back of the motorhome and the trailer hitch is bolted right to the frame.

This gave me full confidence that I can pull my 10,000 lb race car trailer Safely with weight distributing bars, and 4 wheel trailer brakes.

Also was a major decision maker for Purchase.

Ted.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #10

Gulfstream, aren't you opening youself up to big liability risks if you have an accident? Just asking. Maybe you are willing to live with that but I would rather not. Hence my search.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:49 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot View Post
f14av8r, you are right, I am a fighterpilot, but I didn't survive 200 combat mission over Vietnam by being fool hardy. Should I have an accident, such as the hitch system or frame tear loose from the chassis when I do a violent maneauver and some one gets killed and it is determined the towing load exceeded the allowed load for the subject motorhome configuration, than the law suit follows. Even being legal the law suit might still follow but at least I am in a little better shape to defend.

I'm determined to be legal to tow the truck, 4 down, at 7000 lbs. Know can do that with the Monaco Dynastys but there must be other MH in the late 90s that can do that. Anyone with the Winnebagos, HR, Coachmans, Fleetwood lines, etc. that know theirs can do that I would appreciate the information. Maybe the chassis will take a higher load than the hitch. Maybe the mfg. put on a lesser hitch than would have been allowed. Need to know what the chassis GCWR is to be sure. Like wise for the other Monacos in the nintys, Such as the Windsors. Did they have the same GCWR capability as the Dynastys? Thanks
My bad. Forgot the smiley face. I was just kidding.
I'm with you, tow it properly and safely or don't tow it at all.
Thanks for your service!
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:55 AM   #12

If memory serves me correctly, our Endeavor is rated for 4K right on the hitch. I'm not sure if the coach even has a GCWR. They were just starting to use them when it was built. The reason I write, is about all of the "stuff" bolted to the frame rails in back of the engine (including the rear crossover carrying the back of the engine, supports for CAC and radiator, body mounts, etc.)? One look at all that on my coach would have you understanding the reason for the hitch rating on this one. All components appear very heavy duty, but frankly it's "add on" heaven. Appears to not have been thought out very well when viewed as a total package.

Point being, it's not hard for me to believe the rating on that 98 Winnie at all.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
My bad. Forgot the smiley face. I was just kidding.
I'm with you, tow it properly and safely or don't tow it at all.
Thanks for your service!
Appreciate your thanks. I guess I am a little sensitive about that time and at my age, 80 this summer, don't know when someone is kidding me or not. But, you are right, years ago, I would have hooked to it and took off. Pedal to the metal, Full AB, etc. Check six!
Old 05-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Back to the OPs question. As far as the Discoveries, according to the specs they didn't go to 10k towing until 2004. I suspect this was probably related to the chassis - until then, they probably used a chassis that didn't have the GCWR for 10k towing.

There are a lot of 90s DPs that will do 10k towing but you probably have to look for something with ISCs rather than ISBs.