Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #15
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginiamtns View Post
.... 7% grades over four or five miles through the mountains of WV, ... I wouldn't want to try it with brakes alone.
That's the truth on the WV mountains. You really need the engine braking coming down Rt33 from Elkins into Seneca Rocks. We were behind a dump truck riding his brakes down that stretch. About 2/3 down, we could smell hot brakes....not us, HIM. We backed WAY off. Thought for sure he'd end up going straight through into the visitor's center, but somehow he managed to turn into the general store parking lot on the corner & stopped.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
The Ford tow haul works very well and should be used on grades and in mountains. The drive train, engine and trany are designed to take it. Your brakes are not. Ride your brakes going down a mountain pass and they will get hot and fair out. They will pick you up with a fork and a spoon in downtown Pagose Springs like the song says. When a rig goes off the road on Wolf Creek Pass all they recover is the bodies. And there is a lot of rigs down there from people who rode there brakes.
Never said I would ride my brakes. I don't want my drive train screaming at high RPM's.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #17

One addition on the ford version at least. On the F53 you can also set the cruise control to the speed you wish it to maintain on the decent and it will step down through the gears to do its best to meet your request without ever touching the breaks when in tow haul mode.
Bryantclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryantclan View Post
One addition on the ford version at least. On the F53 you can also set the cruise control to the speed you wish it to maintain on the decent and it will step down through the gears to do its best to meet your request without ever touching the breaks when in tow haul mode.
Yes, but as a friend with the same MH pointed out to me, cruise control up hill can be a surprise when it kicks into a much lower gear....I thought I was in the shuttle during a launch with the sudden noise....

Seriously though I think the grade brake on the F53 is great!
Old 10-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #19

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have never been on a 12% yet but on a 5-7% for a long distance can keep you pumping your brakes. My solution is to manually downshift. Don't like the idea of the electrontics shifting for me and throwing my rpm's up so high. I brake to the speed I am comfortable with and then I do the downshift. Same as if I were driving a manual trans. Don't know if this is correct but it works for me. The v10 rev's sooo high, some say 5000rpm's not for me. Just my thoughts, I'm no professional.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvik View Post
Yes, but as a friend with the same MH pointed out to me, cruise control up hill can be a surprise when it kicks into a much lower gear....I thought I was in the shuttle during a launch with the sudden noise.... Seriously though I think the grade brake on the F53 is great!
Yea... Never ever use he cruise control on the uphill run.

I live in Denver and cross 70 4 or 5 times a year heading west and have also shown a number of my friends how you cross 70 in a RV without feeling like it is driving you instead of the other way around.

On the F53 (when I still had my 2008) I would pick the speed I wished to descend at just before I crested the next drop and lock the cruise control with the tow haul in place. Works like a charm as long as you pick the speed right, which for me was 45 mph.

Bryantclan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake