Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2016, 03:41 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Love Lake Powel!! I wish they'd half fill the Grand Canyon, then we'd have two! And I bet any off water marina would love to launch your boat for you. Lake Powel has several off water boat storage facilities where you can pay for boat storage and the deal is they put it in the water for you, so you can drive from SLC in the family minivan instead of the F350.

TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2016, 04:57 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ya, we have 3 "favorite" lakes that have nearby storage, and we keep talking about how nice it would be to have the boat already stored at the lake, but we haven't been able to pick just one after 4 or 5 years I would have to buy more boats.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:23 PM   #17

I personally tow my boat with the DP and then unhook it at the campground and launch it with something else. We have rented trucks from uhaul for the week to launch and recover. There is a uhaul place in Paige Az we have used or someone in our party may have an suv or truck. I have had the marina at Wahweap launch my boat with a tractor for a fee iirc $20. I witnessed a very nice tag axle coach take a dunk at Wahweap launching a large daycruiser. I actually have video my DW took of the incident. She started recording because of all the trouble the man was having just getting the coach and trailer down the ramp, impeding other people from launching. He didn't slide down he backed in the water purposefully, far enough where water got into something it should not have and shut down the engine. The lake water level was low as it has been for 5 years or more so he had to get the boat off the trailer and kept backing until it came off. I think he felt rushed because of all the people waiting. Large wrecker showed up eventually and towed him out. You think you and the wife argue when backing in somewhere, imagine the fireworks after that. No thank you. Last place I want my coach is a wet, steep, busy, hot launch ramp with less than courteous "jet skiers" weaving around me to get to the water first. About as much as I want to drive it in the sand at Pismo beach, nope I'll stay around the corner and take the truck. But yes it can be done.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:59 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'd like to see a picture of someone launching their boat with their coach. Never say never, but I'm pretty sure I'll never try to launch a boat with my coach.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:20 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post
I'd like to see a picture of someone launching their boat with their coach. Never say never, but I'm pretty sure I'll never try to launch a boat with my coach.
Works better for some than others I guess
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0812rv-02-2009-fleetwood-discovery-motorhome-boat-launch.jpg
Views:	1003
Size:	285.7 KB
ID:	131328   Click image for larger version

Name:	RvBoat.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	131329  

Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	131330  
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2016, 12:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post

Attachment 131344

I haven't done it often with the DP but had good success using a steep ramp on a lake( no ride). A steep ramp is best as the boat will float off the trailer before the rear wheels get anywhere close to the water. All the failed pictures I have seen are on relatively flat ramps.

1997 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37', Cat 3126
Old 06-26-2016, 12:32 PM   #21

The pictures you see of all the fails are of course what you'll find. Rarely will someone post pictures of a successful launch. They will always post the pictures/videos of a failed one.

You can see even more pictures of failed launches with trucks and SUV's if you search.

In the end I think it comes down to planning and the competency of the person doing the Launches.
briankstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 12:58 PM   #22
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Thanks guys, the mention of the slippery ramp and it's a done deal. THe Suburban is well able to handle this boat, and driving 2 vehicles is a small price to pay.
Probably the best decision...

I would submit that it's no big deal with a gas coach (see our signature photo).

BUT IMHO, for a typical DP, the engine is too far back and too low to be safe at a typical boat ramp.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:31 AM   #23

I've launched a lot of boats and am pretty sure you won't see me launching anything with my Class A anytime soon. If I had to there are a handful of launches that would be okay but there are far more that are too shallow, have massive drop-offs the trailer gets stuck on, aren't paved, etc. I'd walk the camp and throw someone with a truck a $20 before I'd back into a launch that I don't know with my RV.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:33 AM   #24

This boat seems easy enough to launch... just drive it in
Old 06-27-2016, 09:05 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There is a 1 hour video about the MH/boat I've seen. The guy spent a fortune and its pretty cool, but I'm sure the wind at Lake Powell would send it to the bottom pretty quick . I've seen waves go in the front doors of houseboats and out the back as they try to go to the docks to check in.

Tags
tow