Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-12-2014, 10:40 PM   #29
Towed Battery Charger

The 12 volt wire on pin 4 in the 7-pin connector is ALREADY fused!

All you need is another length of wire to tap that line on the toad side of the connection and a SINGLE fuse in that line in the toad...period.

Rich & Linda

Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2014, 10:46 PM   #30

Gulf Streamers Club
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
The 12 volt wire on pin 4 in the 7-pin connector is ALREADY fused!

All you need is another length of wire to tap that line on the toad side of the connection and a SINGLE fuse in that line in the toad...period.

Rich & Linda
That is if your RV is pre-wired for a 6/7 pin connector. Mine had a 4 pin, I added the charge wire myself when I changed it over. I don't know why you keep fighting for minimal safety.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:22 AM   #31
Originally Posted by loulong View Post
Not sure where you learned your electronics, but there absolutely is a NEED for a fuse at both ends of a connection from a battery in the MH (tow vehicle) to the battery in the toad (towed vehicle), period.

(A diode at the toad end concept accomplishes the same thing protection wise, I just don't like the resultant voltage drop, since the path is already very long and resistive.).

I wouldn't exactly call the TOAD CHARGERS "snake oil", but they are more than is necessary for the job.
The voltage drop across the diode in my setup is about 0.4 V. Seeing that the motorhome batteries are supplying in excess of 13 V the drop is insignificant. I didn't measure any voltage drop from the point where the line starts in the motorhome and the wire end before the diode so I don't get the point of "the path is very long and resistive"

My setup has a fuse at both ends with a diode before the toad battery - total cost was $50 - as I said inexpensive insurance.

2002 Dutch Star
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Ret Syntst is offline   Reply With Quote