Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2015, 08:32 AM   #1

Towed vehicle brake system

I just upgraded my toad to a 2014 Wrangler and know the law says you must have auxillary braking on any toad over 2000 lbs. Anyone ever been pulled over and ticketed ?? I was barely above on my samarai and did not have it but now will be about 3700 lbs. Does anyone tow without an auxillary system ? I plan to get one but can not right now as I'm in the middle of a trip. I am going through the smokies but so far nothing my 2013 Mirada 32 ft gasser has had a problem with. Thoughts ????? Opinions ???? Thanks, Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2015, 08:36 AM   #2

Get one. Any one. You will stop sooner with toad and aux brakes than without.
I have 15 years on a Roadmaster Stowmaster bar an a BrakeBuddy.
Happy Trails

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:42 AM   #3

Carolina Campers

By the time you realize that you needed one, let's hope the person in front of you is sleeping...

I just read this on another thread;

I want to die like my grandfather did… in his sleep.
Not screaming and yelling… like the other people in his car
Old 07-04-2015, 09:47 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would not tow without a toad braking system! Some states require them by law!

Check out the Ready Brake by NSA RV Products. It's the lowest cost system out there. It's effective, simple, easy to install, and very little to go wrong!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 01:02 PM   #5
isa

Triple E Owners Club
kengardner

Would you kindly quote the reference for this statement,

"and know the law says you must have auxillary braking on any toad over 2000 lbs. "
Old 07-04-2015, 01:06 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Towing World Official Website

List of laws by state
Old 07-04-2015, 01:26 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
It's not about if you can tow it. It's about will the toad stop on its own in the event of a disconnect.
Personally I couldn't handle knowing my toad went into on coming lanes because I was trying to save a few bucks.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:59 PM   #8

I guess you get the point. There is a situation out there waiting for you to find out why you should have gotten brakes for your toad. Even a Brake Buddy from Craigslist in the area you are traveling would be a smart thing to get. Once you have the time, you could get a different one if you wanted and sell the BB. It only takes one time to ruin you day, week, month or longer.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:08 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post

List of laws by state
It's wrong for both WA and OR and I'm betting others as well! WA and OR have a "performance" spec (like CA does) stop in XX feet from XX mph and nothing more is needed.
BUT, you must be legal in EVERY state you go into. There is no reciprocity on equipment laws like there is on drivers licenses and insurance.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 02:40 PM   #10

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post

List of laws by state

BTW, it's wrong for NC...

Ted
Old 07-04-2015, 03:04 PM   #11

I have never understood the reluctance to provide braking for the tow. It just makes sense that you cannot stop the combination MH and tow in the same distance as the MH alone. To me it is a safety issue regardless of the law involved.
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:56 AM   #12

Thanks all. I am looking at one today. I was thinking I should but that little devil on the other shoulder kept saying..... wait til you get home !!! You folks woke me up.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:06 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ken,
We tow a 2013 Honda CRV behind a 45' Class A Diesel Pusher. Do I REALLY need an auxiliary brake... Probably not based on size, weight and mass differential... BUT, we do (we use the IRV2 brake package)! Our decision was easy... Tell me what you're going to say to the judge the day you're trying to explain how your toad broke away, crossed a centerline and hit another car head on... and you saw fit NOT to equip your Toad with an auxiliary brake...?? In that context the decision is easy!!
Old 07-05-2015, 07:14 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 2014 Jeep Wrangler also. I have the brake buddy and it works fine. HOWEVER, I sure wish I would have researched the issue a bit more before purchase. My model is designed so it would be easy to move from vehicle to vehicle and there is some models that when installed you basically have little set up. I should have went with the little setup because I plan to keep the Jeep - I bought the lifetime warranty on the Jeep and plan on keeping it for the duration. The Brake Buddy only takes a few minutes but if I had researched it better I would have went with the kind that does not come in and out because I do plan to keep the Jeep.

Tags
brake, tow