Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2018, 08:41 AM   #1

Towed Vehicle Tracking

How well does a towed vehicle track behind a motorhome?

43ft Class A with full size pickup...…….OAL 65ft, Demco tow bar

Just wait a extra second longer to make any turns and watch mirrors more closely for traffic, etc?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks and have a great day!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2018, 09:01 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
like it's not there !
the one thing will be changing lanes - I actually have our rear camera set so I can see when the other lane is past the end of my toad...

but, if you think about it,

the coach itself is more of a concern in turns than the toad...
the rear of the coach acts as a lever to pull the pivot point of the toad further OUT in the curve - the 'swing' they call it...

i.e. if you are very close to an obstacle on the left and turn right then the back left of the coach actually moves LEFT..
Old 07-24-2018, 10:07 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Good advice from JohnBoyToo. A rear engine (diesel pusher) coach has less "swing out" than a gas coach because the rear overhang is shorter, but the difference isn't worth much discussion. The back swings out just about enough to counteract the tendency of the towed car to cut the corner and track inside the coach, so in most cases it stays more-or-less right behind. There are variations due to different tow bar length, coach length, coach wheelbase, toad front end set-up, etc., but they usually net out to only small differences. In a sharp turn the toad typically tracks a bit inside, so if the coach rear wheels just barely clear an obstacle, the toad might bump it. Keep an eye out on 90 degree turns until you have a feel for how your particular rig acts.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:40 AM   #4

We tow a F150 Crew long box or a Escape on a dolly. both follow very well and no issues at all. As the other post the length when changing lanes is the main thing do watch. And parking of course as you need the extra space with the F150 to get out of the other lanes or get straightened out. I also have a Demco tow bar. We are 43 feet long to start with as well.
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:27 AM   #5

I have found that I do not have to allow any extra space for turning when towing our Avalanche. Only on the sharpest turn, do I get concerned for the rear of it. This would only occur when making a very tight u-turn and the front of the Avalanche gets very close to the corner of the coach. It's a different story when towing our 8.5' wide trailer.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:32 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I felt the same as above and I’ve never had a problem BUT I was recently in a CG where the entire last half of the side of a SUV was more than just scratched behind a 42’ Bluebird.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow