Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #1

Towin a lot

We are looking for a diesel pusher, with enough strength to carry a trailer, closed or open with our show corvette, as we plan to hit some shows around the states. Of course, we know nothing about where to put it when we go to an rv park, state park, etc. Also how many mpg could we honestly expect to get on the highway, with diesel right now touching the $4.00 point in south fl. Anyone out there towing all of this,? Just the thought of having an entourage behind us gives me the willies. My hubby can drive anything and insists there will not be a problem. Famous last words.
hit the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2012, 12:02 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Hit the Road, welcome to the forum. You're hubby is right, it should not be a problem. I would look at a 42' Phaeton with the 400 hp engine, 10,000 lb tow hitch, or a step up from that would be the 40' or 43' Allegro Bus with the 450 hp engine, 10,000 lb tow hitch,. Decked out even more would be the 45' Zephyr with the 500 hp motor, 15,000 lb tow hitch,. Check them out at Tiffin Motorhomes | Tiffin Motorhomes Celebrating 40 years on the road Best of luck at the shows.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:08 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
And I would look at Newmars. They offer far more customization than Tiffin does.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:20 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hello and welcome to iRV2.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:03 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy and welcome aboard. Hope you enjoy the site. You should get plenty of input to your question I'm sure. Hope you enjoy all your travels and the fun times with the Corvette. Be safe and Happy Motoring!!!!!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:25 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hello and Welcome to IRV2.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hit the road View Post
We are looking for a diesel pusher, with enough strength to carry a trailer, closed or open with our show corvette, as we plan to hit some shows around the states. Of course, we know nothing about where to put it when we go to an rv park, state park, etc. Also how many mpg could we honestly expect to get on the highway, with diesel right now touching the $4.00 point in south fl. Anyone out there towing all of this,? Just the thought of having an entourage behind us gives me the willies. My hubby can drive anything and insists there will not be a problem. Famous last words.
I had similar thoughts about what to do with a trailer in some situation. Well one thing you can do is make sure you have a pull thur site when you camp. This will limit you some but when you make your reservations ask for this type of site that will take your length with trailer. As for as the Motorhome as long as it has a 10,000 pound towing capacity you will be okay. But check the weight of the unit loaded. Some units are at there max before you put your stuff in. Just do your home work and you will be fine. Ask a lot of questions here and you will get plenty of help. One of the biggest things in finding the right unit is the floor plan. As for as the motor if you get one with at lease a 350 horse power motor you will do fine.
Safe travels and enjoy your new to you coach and come joins us at the rally in Sept.
ajm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Check out Fleetwood's American Coach line, tow rating is 15,000.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Just about all diesel pushers will have a two capacity of at least 10,000 lbs and many are greater than that. Spartan chassis are typically 15,000 lbs.

As for fuel mileage, figure 7-8 mpg and you should be close. My 04 American Tradition 40 footer (12,000 lb tow capacity) gets 8 mph cruising the interstates and 6.5-7.2 on lesser highways.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #10

You will be doing yourself a disservice if you don't carefully check the weights. Know your tongue weight when loaded and check the MH weight with full loads of water and fuel with a good guesstimate of how much "stuff" you plan to carry with you. You may find that the average 40' MH does not have the capacity to tow a loaded trailer and be full of stuff for a 2 week trip, much less a long term journey. Do not take the salesmans word for it that "everyone is overweight" or that "you have plenty of capacity". Take the MH to a scale and pay to have it weighed, at least the axles if you can't get a 4 (6) wheel weight.

You may find that a tag axle rig, USUALLY found on MH's over 40' will be needed in order to have the capacity you want. (usually means that as I look out my window at the RV's parked here, there are NO 40 footers with a tag axle. They do manufacture SOME 40's with tag axles, but they are the oddity, not the norm, and there are some shorter than 40' that have tags but again they are the rare breed not the common coach)

Ken
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post
You may find that a tag axle rig, USUALLY found on MH's over 40' will be needed in order to have the capacity you want. (usually means that as I look out my window at the RV's parked here, there are NO 40 footers with a tag axle. They do manufacture SOME 40's with tag axles, but they are the oddity, not the norm, and there are some shorter than 40' that have tags but again they are the rare breed not the common coach)

Ken
IMHO, tag axles have nothing to do with towing, they have to do with load carrying capability. My Allegiance (no tag) has a GVWR of 34,600 and a GCWR of 59,600. The new AC Revolutions (with tag) have GVWRs of 46,600 and GCWRs of 61,600. Note the 15,000 difference between both vehicles GVWR and GCWR ...it's the towing capacity and it's the same.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:27 PM   #12

Hi, Hit the road, I bet you thought this was going to be easy! I also just got a DP to pull a trailer, Yes , you do need to check your weights, Search different theads on this site about towing, you'll find every thing and every opinion about manufacurers, size, weights, ect. but also brake controlers, tounge length, axles, and the one that made me raise an eyebrow, was combined vehicale lenght, all states have a law on how long your vehicale can be, It doesnt sound like it's widely enforced but good to know, before you get set up. Good luck, and happy trails
Old 03-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post

Ken
By 2003, Monaco was putting tag axles under ALL the Dynasty, Executive and Signature coaches starting at 38'. There are MANY 40' Tag Axle Dynasty coaches out there.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
IMHO, tag axles have nothing to do with towing, they have to do with load carrying capability. My Allegiance (no tag) has a GVWR of 34,600 and a GCWR of 59,600. The new AC Revolutions (with tag) have GVWRs of 46,600 and GCWRs of 61,600. Note the 15,000 difference between both vehicles GVWR and GCWR ...it's the towing capacity and it's the same.
So having two extra tires in back to control sway don't have anything to do with towing? Two extra tires on the road to stop the vehicles don't have anything to do with towing? That's an interesting line of thought. I don't believe it, but I think it's interesting that people do.

He's towing a trailer with a car inside, so the tongue weight can be important. Someone quoted numbers about one particular brand/model. And that's wonderful information if the OP happens to buy that particular brand and model, what about all the others? What if he doesn't think about weight/tongue weight/sway and buys something inadequate and loses money when changing to a rig that will tow the trailer better?

I still get a kick out of the folks insisting that "many" less than 40' coaches have tag axles. I'm not sure who's buying into that storyline. Look at the RV parks, watch as you drive down the road. Are tag axles seen frequently or are they seen occasionally? That's the real answer. Walk around your RV park tonight and count. When you drive to your next destination, count the number of large coaches and the number of tag axles. Then, come back and tell us all how "common" tag axles are.

Then, do a search on this forum on traveling with cross winds. Then search on towing with a dually vs single rear tires. Do those folks think that more tires on the road makes towing/driving better?

Perhaps I'm reading the posts all wrong, maybe "many" means 5 in a hundred or even 10 in a hundred to the folks writing in.

Ken
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote