Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2012, 05:01 AM   #1

Smile Towing 2011 Escape on a dolly

Hi we're new to the forum. I've been reading all the posts on this site related to the problems with flat towing the 2011 Ford Escape. My specific question is "are there any problems with towing it on a dolly? The dealer assures me it is safe to tow, but as I've read here, they aren't always knowledgable. Any negatives with the dolly way would be appreciated. I'd like to learn from someone else' experience. Thanks. Happy Rving
Dukie48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2012, 05:47 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
only if it is frontwheel drive, not 4 wheel. we towed our 2009 frontwheel drive 6000 miles on a dolly last winter. no problem.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #3

We tow the DW's 2004 2-wheel drive Escape frequently on our MasterTow HD dolly (the HD is slightly wider than standard dolly). Both pull extremely well....and that is sayin' something with some of the poor roads we have here in the West. The wider dolly does a great job of keeping the dolly's fenders well away from the Escape during turns. The extra width, however, is something you need to be aware of on winding mountain roads...not a big deal, just something to keep in mind when towing. Works very well for us.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the owners manual says you can tow it you are Ok and are covered by warranty
Old 07-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If it is front wheel drive, you can dolly tow it. AWD or 4-wheel drive, it needs a trailer.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #6

Check into a Remco Lube Pump. I have used one on a '97 Dodge caravan and '09 Ford Escape (after burning up three transmissions). You can then pull 4 down with no problem and no dolly to worry with.

Chuck
smith45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:24 PM   #7

Thanks for the suggestions. We asked the service manager at the Ford dealership to find out for sure if the Remco pump can be added without voiding our warranty, W must have asked 10 times if the Escape was flat towable, but as everybody says- they're not that knowledgable,
Old 07-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukie48
Thanks for the suggestions. We asked the service manager at the Ford dealership to find out for sure if the Remco pump can be added without voiding our warranty, W must have asked 10 times if the Escape was flat towable, but as everybody says- they're not that knowledgable,
We'd rather not pa the personal property tax, license, and more insurance on the dolly.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #9

Dukie, The Lube pump will not effect your warranty unless Ford can PROVE it caused the problem, if a problem occurs. I talked to the transmission tech and the service manager at my dealer and both said they had no problem with the pump. Ford has to say no to installing it to "save face".

If I can help you with this contact me direct..

Chuck
smith45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:35 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukie48 View Post
We'd rather not pa the personal property tax, license, and more insurance on the dolly.
???? in ohio and many other states no license plate is needed, have never heard anyone say insurance is more. we also do not have a personal property tax, but compared to a car or motorhome does not seem like it could be that much. my local Ford dealer was also fuzzy about whether my 2009 escape could be flat towed. I called Ford Motor company and they assured me if I had a problem it would be covered under my waranty. and every one that I read on-line that did have a problem was covered. I did not want to take a chance of getting caught a long way from home so I chose the dolly. had always flat towed my chevy before. the dolly was great because of no speed restrictions or stopping to run the engine. you can even back up if you need to and they have there own brake. BUT, it was a little more work to load and unload, but if you are not doing it every night it was not that bad. both ways have good and bad points.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:43 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by smith45 View Post
Dukie, The Lube pump will not effect your warranty unless Ford can PROVE it caused the problem, if a problem occurs. I talked to the transmission tech and the service manager at my dealer and both said they had no problem with the pump. Ford has to say no to installing it to "save face".

If I can help you with this contact me direct..

Chuck

The Moss Magnueson Act is supposed to protect the consumer on these warranties....BUT and and it is a BIG BUT, the manufacturer can challenge it and flatly say no warranty. This leaves you a legal course of action and the car manufacturers have very deep pockets and lots of lawyers on retainer. They can drag the battle out in court and cost you lots of money and time with you have an un-repaired vehicle.

So be prepared for a battle on this front.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, towing