Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-20-2012, 10:54 PM   #15
Red face

Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
If you really did the math then you probably wouldn't own an RV!
X2 on this one. I've told many people, "if I were concerned about the MPG and/or the price of fuel, I would have never bought a MH". With that said, we always thought about the issue of not having transportation when we "got where we were going" and that kept us from trading the 5'er and the pick-up for a class A. Long story short, the 5'er is gone and we happlily hitch our toad any time we figure we will need "transportation" when we get where we are going.

Andy & Cheryl & Mini-Poodle Sonny
2011 35H Bounder - 2012 Subaru Outback
Roadmaster Sterling - RVibrake
aschuller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #16
Fleetwood Owners Club
We are far from retirement but decided to tow 4 down anyway. The one exception is our trip to Yellowstone where we will rent instead. We see that we use the RV more often with a car readily available because there are a lot of rainy weekends where we live and the freedom makes it more enjoyable and gives more options when the kids get stir crazy in bad weather.

History: '08 View, '05 Chinook, '01 Jamboree 24D, '78 Apache Popup, 81 Komfort Tlr,
84 Mazda B2000 'w canopy,
Tent from wedding shower in '96
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:16 AM   #17
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the smaller more nimble motor home than can eliminate the need for a rental or a toad.
Our last RV was a Navion Sprinter based class C. The thing got MPG equal to or better than many cars and trucks. I could take it nearly everywhere. At barely 24 ft. It could be parked in a regular parking space. It had enough power to pull a small toad and often did, but there were times I elected to leave the dingy home and just use the MH for sight seeing.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:54 AM   #18
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by rvarner View Post
I just like the feeling of knowing I have extra transportation behind me in case I needed it for emergecies or beer!!!
If you need beer, IT IS AN EMERGENCY!
Chuck n Terri
2017 Heartland Bighorn 3875FB
2016 Chevy 3500 Duramax
Lostdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:06 AM   #19
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by Lostdog View Post
If you need beer, IT IS AN EMERGENCY!

Only If your out.
2001 Monaco Diplomat 8.3 40ft, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
IA summers, Parker Dam CA winters.
Lued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:39 AM   #20
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It depends upon your lifestyle. If you go to a location and just sit there the whole time then maybe having a car isn't that important but it is a major pain to me to have to pack up the RV, pull in the slides, unhook the utilities, etc. just to go get some groceries or have a meal out. I seem to take the car out about 5 days out of 7. I go to the grocery store, to a Red Box, to a hardware store for a minor repair (three times in one day!), go to the Post Office, go geocaching, go to the local National Bird Refuge, go kayaking and on and on. This is all so much easier with a car than having to move the RV.
Doug Sage
Full timers roaming the good old US of A
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 38J
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:05 AM   #21
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Last month we went to the National BOA Rally in Sevierville, TN. We decided that instead of towing our Dakota this time we would rent a car. First time we have ever done this. It will also be the last. By the time we got through paying all of the charges that you get hit with the bill for the car was nearly $300.00 I don't think I would have used that much extra diesel, even with the cost of diesel these days.

Jerry and Janell & Westie dog Gus (Augustus McCrae)
Navy by record Marine by choice
2005 Bounder 38N DP 300 CAT 2014 Jeep Wrangler
jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:19 AM   #22
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
If you really did the math then you probably wouldn't own an RV!
Yeah , dont forget the RV payment either. We use the length of stay method. If we go to an event and staying 2 weeks or less, we rent. If we have a reason to take the toad, we do. The longer the trip, the more likely we will take the toad.

SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote