Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2011, 03:16 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Towing a Toyota Mini van

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone out there has exp. towing a toyota Sienna with a gas motorhome. we have a 03 Sun Voyager on Workhorse Chassis. Have read some post about fenders rubbing. Trying not to tie up more in a TOAD as we are already paying tags, ins. and upkeep on the Toyota and the MH.

Looking for other in this boat

Thanks

Jeff

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2011, 03:31 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
What model year?

No automatic Toyota is approved for towing four down from 2005 on and the Sienna isn't even listed at all. I didn't go any further back in the listing to see about earlier years.

Appears that it's not towable four down. Dolly or trailer only.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:35 PM   #3

I take it your planning on towing this Sienna on a dolly since it is not 4 down towable without transmission modifications. As long as you get a wide carriage dolly such as a Master Tow you should be fine. The cheapo $995 dollies are usually to narrow for a Sienna. Check with Master Tow for their wide carriage dolly with surge brakes. Should run around $ 1600 plus drop hitch and wiring.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:43 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
JEFF: In addition to the concerns about damaging the Sienna's tranny by towing it 4 down, you should make sure your Workhorse chassis has enough GCVWR over your actual coach weight to pull the load, even if on a dolly or trailer. You don't say which WCC Chassis you have, P32 or W-series, so without knowing that and your actual weight, you can't make a wise decision. Ed
Old 08-31-2011, 05:35 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Don't be lulled into thinking you can tow a Sienna with a wide carriage tow dolly.

I tried to tow my 2006 Sienna with a 80 inch wide tow dolly and had body damage from tight turns. The Sienna is very wide and the fenders flare out slighty which puts it on a collision course with the fenders of your tow dolly.

By the end of a trip, the drivers side of the Sienna was dented, the fender on the tow dolly was cracked, the lights on the tow dolly were not working, and DW was upset with the damage!

I had a gasser MH (workhorse) at the time and the tight turns would arise in trying to navigate around the pumps at gas stations.

Here is my progression of tow vehicles as I smartened up:
- 1998 Pontiac Montana - fit fine on smaller tow dolly than I bought used
- 2006 Toyota Sienna - too big for small tow dolly so I bought the 80 inch dolly right before our trip out west. That didn't work out.
- 2001 Dodge Caravan - used my father in laws van which was much smaller and fit on the dolly
- 2008 Chrysler Town and Country - put a Remco pump on to tow 4 down. With a DP, too much heat coming off the back and the van transmission fluild would heat up and lose suction on the pump
- 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee - DREAM to tow. Put the transfer case in neutral and away you go 4 down.

Use the tow dolly money to buy a used Jeep and save yourself some headaches!
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:39 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the opinions, The Sienna is 09. The motorhome is a 03 w22 Gross out at 26K. 20K dry. So I know we would be pushing it. Looking for a used dingy already set up here in MD but slim pickins.

Thanks

Jeff
Old 08-31-2011, 08:19 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by millred1 View Post
Thanks for the opinions, The Sienna is 09. The motorhome is a 03 w22 Gross out at 26K. 20K dry. So I know we would be pushing it. Looking for a used dingy already set up here in MD but slim pickins.

Thanks

Jeff
JEFF: If the Sienna is in otherwise good condition, you may want to look at the cost of a Remco pump system to lube the tranny while towing four down. Also, determine the cost of a base plate for the Seinna and a tow bar for the coach. Assuming they make a baseplate for your existing Seinna, that will eliminate the dolly damage concerns, plus save you the cost of trading for something else that may be less suitable for your family needs. Check the actual weight of the Seinna, but it looks like your chassis might handle it unless you add more weight to the coach over time. Good luck, and safe travels.
Ed
Old 08-31-2011, 08:22 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
JEFF: In case you are shopping for a toad, look HERE: Toads - RV & Motorhome Classifieds
Ed
Old 08-31-2011, 09:34 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

A Remco LP7 lube pump will make the Sienna 4-down towable and eliminate any concerns of tow dolly damage. But by the time you get the lube pump installed and buy base plates and tow bar, you will have spent a bundle of money. Of course, you need base plates and tow bar for any 4-down towing, so that part is a wash.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Towing

I know this does not answer your question. But, I am on my second Jeep GJ. This one has 120,000+ miles. Tows with all 4 down and both always had. I refuse to trade in the Jeep for a new car mostly cause of the ease in towing. Also the old beauty looks good and gets 20-22 mpg on the road (and has no payments). Wife loves driving it. It is 10 years old. Two years ago a guy asked me if it was brand new.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:22 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We had a '97 Jeep GC, got low gas mileage (5.2L V-8) so we got another Honda. Sold the Jeep cheap with the brackets still on it. Kind of wish we had kept it just for a toad. Now I'm towing a '05 Honda Ody (yes, I know it's not approved by Honda, they paid for the dolly we also have). I've seen a number of them being towed and talked to owners plus it's out of warranty and paid for so........

When we buy again it'll be a CR-V, a Fit or another Jeep.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:26 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks all

Yes I am in the market for a TOAD. Unfortunatly I am at the end of the money we set aside for camping ( 2 special needs kids ) and being disabled now myself and taking an early retirment. hings get tight. but we do have a couple K left anf if we could find a used TOAD ready to go for a few K we could swing it. Motorhome paid in full. and hitting the road Oct. 1 so if anyone in the northeast US can help us out give me a shout.

Thanks again to all here who listen to this old guy.

Jeff
Old 09-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #13
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
I have seen a Sienna towed using a Remco pump BUT it weighs around 4500lbs and would far exceed the braking ability of the Workhorse (have owned both). I saw the same setup again last year in Palm Springs and he had Alaska plates.

Tags
towing