Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2019, 07:02 PM   #1

Towing options

I just bought a 40ft with 400hp Cummings. Can you tow a Jeep with a trailer behind it? I need to be able to transport my Jeep and RZR? What are the laws and can both be towed? Thanks
TravisTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2019, 07:11 PM   #2

No!
Old 02-19-2019, 07:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisTime View Post
I just bought a 40ft with 400hp Cummings. Can you tow a Jeep with a trailer behind it? I need to be able to transport my Jeep and RZR? What are the laws and can both be towed? Thanks
In some states tri's are allowed with restrictions. Most states do not allow it. You also have to watch overall length. Bottom line is that many have researched this and in all the years I've only encountered ONE person that did it, and he mostly traveled in areas with less than 5 people per square mile.

You need to either get a trailer that will hold both, and again watch your length, and all your weights (GCWR/Tow Rating, Rear Axle although that shouldn't be an issue)

Or, what MOST people do is pull a pickup truck and stick the toy in the bed.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:29 PM   #4

Quote:
This is known as "towing doubles" and is heavily regulated by the states. Most states east of the Mississippi do not allow it or if they do only with a special license and then only on certain limited access highways.
West of the Mississippi the restrictions are less but many states still do not allow it.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:53 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with what's been said. You do see folks doing it out west but not so much in other parts of the country. So depending on where you plan to travel, you could look into doing it.

I personally do not want two trailers behind me in a 40-foot motorhome ...and I'm a retired commercial driver. As a truck driver, we have to be skilled at backing but I just don't want the hassle of trying to back a longer trailer with a 40' tractor ...let alone having two trailers behind me.

And as has been said, you will have to watch your length. If you had a shorter motorhome, it may be easier.

Here's some examples of folks doing it ...go HERE and,

...another example and some information from an article at RVLife magazine:

RV Triple Towing Laws, Legalities And Considerations - RV Life < they explain at bit about "double vs triple" towing terminology

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably opt for towing a pickup and a set up like this:

or ...hah!:

theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:24 PM   #6

Another option you might consider that I didn't think of mentioning is using a "cruiserlift" -type carrier. I'm not sure if this is an actual Cruiserlift product or not ...and I'm not sure if all RZRs would meet width requirements. I'm wondering if the one pictured below is exceeding width requirements.

I've never hauled a RZR so I'll leave any future suggestions to those who have.

eta: the one above is a "Mighty Hauler"
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Another option you might consider that I didn't think of mentioning is using a "cruiserlift" -type carrier. I'm not sure if this is an actual Cruiserlift product or not ...and I'm not sure if all RZRs would meet width requirements. I'm wondering if the one pictured below is exceeding width requirements.

I've never hauled a RZR so I'll leave any future suggestions to those who have.

eta: the one above is a "Mighty Hauler"

Sure looks to be over width. I would also want lights on the corners, not inboard like that has.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:19 AM   #8

Thank you!!
TravisTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:07 PM   #9

Welcome to the forum!!
Old 02-21-2019, 07:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Another option you might consider that I didn't think of mentioning is using a "cruiserlift" -type carrier.
And then where does the Jeep go?
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:42 AM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
If you're staying with what you have already, I think you're gonna need a large flatbed or enclosed trailer to haul both at once.
I'd probably go the whole 9yds for the enclosed and for having a work bench, up front.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:32 PM   #12

nice work guys
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:46 PM   #13

Maybe have someone fabricate a rack for the jeep that allows the razor to be loaded above the jeep roof. Stack 'em deep.

I've seen in done in SoCal back in the mid 90's with ski boats on the bottom and jet skins on the top.

Good luck
Glennabbott1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:56 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't add to what others have said, but noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing