Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2018, 03:46 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Towing our golf cart and a car.

Does anyone know where I can get a ramp for a golf cart that would attach to back of our 39ft Winnebago Journey? We are towing our car with a Blue Ox. Wondering if we can do both. If we can I would like to know how to research for a used one as well. Thank you.
Lawgirl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2018, 03:57 PM   #2

<http://www.idahotote.com/>.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:11 PM   #3

How about a 30' Stacker trailer? Then you could have the car, the golf cart and maybe even a boat and a couple of kayaks.

http://www.westsidemotorcoach.com/Tr...iAAEgJnBfD_BwE
Old 07-03-2018, 04:17 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You could install a HydraLift for the Golf cart and still tow a car with a standard tow bar. I have this Lift now (for my motorcycle). There are some used ones in the Classified section too. That's how/where I bought mine and self installed.

Cargo Lifts 48×74 Golf Cart & Cargo Lift – Hydralift Motorcycle Lifts
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:19 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a Colorado 4x4 that we tow with the motorhome. We put the golf card in the back of the pickup truck.
jgallego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:33 PM   #6

I don't think your Journey will carry that much extra load on the rear axle. I'm sure the leverage effect of the distance from the golf cart to the rear axle will be too much and could lighten the steering axle enough to affect handling. Now if you had a tag axle, it's a different story. Years ago, I did what you want to do with a Tandem Dolly, carrying a Goldwing Trike and Escapade trailer on the platform and the front wheels of a four door Jeep on the dolly. It worked great without adding any weight to the rear of the 40' Phaeton we had at the time.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:15 PM   #7

It DOESN'T lighten the load on the front. While it is an extended load on the rear, one has to take into account, you're trying to lift the entire front end of DIESEL coach, that's over 39' away, with a 1,000 lb. generator sitting up there too. I know, I did a Hydralift on a 36' Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. The weight transfer was a whopping 190 lbs. off the front. Big deal. Heck, when the wife is driving and, I get up to go to the restroom, we just lost 240 lbs. off the front end, no one died.

A Hydralift would do for a 39' coach, no doubt about that, especially a diesel one. But, the axle will be overloaded. We did it for 2 years and over 8,000 miles and had absolutely ZERO ill handling effects, no wandering, no porpoising, no odd tire wear, NOTHING. The OPs coach, just like ours and about 99.9999% of the diesels out there have RIDE HEIGHT sensors. Those will compensate for any additional weight that's placed back there by adjusting the coach in height. Our coach ending up being 1/16th of an inch higher in the front with the lift and our Honda GL 1800 Goldwing on the back.

If I were the OP, even though his coach could actually handle the Hydralift, I'd seriously consider this:

SWIVELWHEEL-58DW TANDEM TOW DOLLY

Then you've alleviated ALL the potential weight off the rear of the coach and, that unit is NOT A TRAILER!!!!!!!!!!!! It's considered part of the coach. So, you're not towing DOUBLES with that unit on there. Just something to consider.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:36 PM   #8

You're correct about taking little weight off of the steer. Before I bought the Tandem Dolly, I carried a 1000# dresser on the back of our Phaeton. The weight of it not only overloaded the rear axle, but also the 255/80/R22.5 tires that came on the coach. I don't recall any adverse handling. I was wrong is assuming there would be. Tiffin came with the 275/80/R22.5 tires on our same model a year later. They paid 50% of a new set of 275's for me, but after two years, I bought the TD which was much nicer that trying to carry a Trike on the back.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:22 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
OP, the short answer is HELL NO you cannot put a golf cart on the back of your 05 Journey that you have already used up ALL of your CCC for full time use. A 05 only has a 17,500 rear axle that was increased to 19,000 in 06 so it would have 3000 CCC instead of maybe 2000. The ONLY way you can do this is with a tandem tow dolly or putting it in the back of a PU...not your CRV.

Leverage is a simple math problem contrary to the 190 lbs off the front axle BS answer. A 39' DP has aprox 25' wheel base and probably a 7' overhang...add 3' to the center of the golf cart so you end up with a 10 to 25 ratio or .40% of the weight comes OFF of the front axle. Cart and lift is around 1800 lbs X .4 = 720 lbs that you have taken off of the front axle...not enough to affect the handling of a 39' DP. BUT, in addition to the 1800 lbs you have to add 720 = 2520 lbs that you have put on your rear axle...more than your entire CCC of your rig before putting in your stuff for FT.
FireUP, I cannot believe you actually made this statement..."even though his coach could actually handle the Hydralift". There is a BIG difference between your 04 36' coach (that you overloaded) and the OP's 39'.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:04 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Depending on what TOAD you have might look into a Cricket Golf Cart. We have one and fits in the back of our 2013 CRV and now in my 2017 4 door Wrangler. It will fit in some Cross Overs and most SUVs. It weighs in under 310 pounds and can carry up to 4 people.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	discovery - 1.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	436.7 KB
ID:	209543  
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:33 AM   #11

What I would do is buy an aluminum 18 ft car trailer and load the golf car across the front. I pulled a steel 18 ft car trailer with a race car and a golf cart this way for 7 years with a 30 ft gas coach. Never had a problem, and couldn't even tell the trailer was back there. A gas golf car is lighter than an electric one too. I'd rather pull the trailer opposed to towing 4 down anyways, as you can back up anytime you wish. The only problem MAY be storage when you get to where you're going.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
OP, the short answer is HELL NO you cannot put a golf cart on the back of your 05 Journey that you have already used up ALL of your CCC for full time use. A 05 only has a 17,500 rear axle that was increased to 19,000 in 06 so it would have 3000 CCC instead of maybe 2000. The ONLY way you can do this is with a tandem tow dolly or putting it in the back of a PU...not your CRV.

Leverage is a simple math problem contrary to the 190 lbs off the front axle BS answer. A 39' DP has aprox 25' wheel base and probably a 7' overhang...add 3' to the center of the golf cart so you end up with a 10 to 25 ratio or .40% of the weight comes OFF of the front axle. Cart and lift is around 1800 lbs X .4 = 720 lbs that you have taken off of the front axle...not enough to affect the handling of a 39' DP. BUT, in addition to the 1800 lbs you have to add 720 = 2520 lbs that you have put on your rear axle...more than your entire CCC of your rig before putting in your stuff for FT.
FireUP, I cannot believe you actually made this statement..."even though his coach could actually handle the Hydralift". There is a BIG difference between your 04 36' coach (that you overloaded) and the OP's 39'.
Ivy,
I've told you before, since you never admit that YOU HAVE DONE THIS sort of thing, that you all you have is your calculations. You have never hauled this kind of weight. You have never actually experienced just WHAT KIND OF AFFECT there is on YOUR COACH. YOU were never in MY COACH when I DID IT FOR OVER 8,000 MILES! And the same goes for many on here that have NEVER ACTUALLY DONE something like this. Many simply relay info that may or may not be of real accuracy.

Not only have I done it but, I've spoken directly to many actual folks at campgrounds and RV parks that had anywhere from 34' coaches to 40' ones, tag and no tag, gas and diesel that were hauling my same system. Not one of them, in any combination of the above, has EVER had any issues. Now, are they and was I overweight, yep, (on some, not all) not doubt about it. But, I'm still alive to sit here and answer. And so is anyone and everyone that was ever near us when traveling. So, no CATASTROPHES were ever experienced and or seen.

I DID ALL THE WEIGHT CHECKS. Before and after. And I've stated is way more than a few times, I removed a whopping 190 lbs. off the front wheels when both the lift and bike were on there. That right there disproves many theories and calculations that even the BIG NAMEs throw out there. If someone thinking about this kind of system for their coach, especially a shorter version like a 36' diesel, does not wish to take a chance, that's perfectly fine, no one's twisting any arms here. I did it and it worked. The one and only reason we stopped that method was due to the overloading of the tires. Could I have gone to a larger, heavier load range tires, yep, but, we had other reasons for our change to the method we do now.

Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:02 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgallego View Post
We have a Colorado 4x4 that we tow with the motorhome. We put the golf card in the back of the pickup truck.

What golf cart will fit in the bed of your Colorado? What year is your truck?
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:57 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
"Ivy, I've told you before, since you never admit that YOU HAVE DONE THIS sort of thing"

Scott, thanks for asking and actually I have...several times. First time was 17 years ago with the same car (first picture) towed backwards behind a 98 Beaver Patriot with a 20K rear axle and before they got overweight...it had 4,000 lbs of CCC but no picture handy.
All total over 110K miles and my axle weights confirmed my math as it's hard to change the laws of physics and gravity.my axle weights confirmed my math

Pretty sure I've actually put more weight than you on the back of a DP without over loading it or recommending that the OP could do it with his rig that is maxed out without adding any additional weight off the back.

Or this and that is not a car dolly...that's 1260 lbs 4' back or 11.5' from the tag axle. Helps to have 9,000 lbs of CCC and a DP that needs weight taken off of the front axle.
Helps to have a local scale where I can weigh for free...even getting off to the side for 6 corner weighing.

Look, no dolly wheels.

PS: they make higher load rated tires.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing