Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2016, 10:21 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Question Towing trailer with Class A?

New guy here so please forgive me if this has been discussed recently, I couldnít find anything in my browsing.

Just picked up our Challenger 37KT and we will be towing a utility trailer containing our dingy and other toys. I would like to know how to deal with this in the campgrounds? For example, do they usually offer a drop spot to use while weíre there, do places offer pull throughs that are long enough to accommodate both, etc? And of course any other helpful info the group might have.

For the sake of this discussion letís assume all other options have been researched and a trailer is the best choice for our situation.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2016, 10:26 AM   #2
WDW

Most look for a long pull throug and often I've seen them remained hooked up. I have seen other instances where the carrier is off to the side. Given the weight, I would expect tgey took a bunch of maneuvering.

However other with experience will comment, mine are just bystanders observations.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...

WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:35 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
If the campground has pull-thru's, and you reserved one, and your total length fits, then no problem. I've been in a number of 'short' pull thru's, so you'll need to make sure it's long enough for your combined length.

Haven't been to many CG's that had off-site parking for trailers, at least that I saw or was aware of. Perhaps some might exist, not a problem that I ever had to solve so never asked. Two CG 's in Colorado I was at had shorter backin sites, and there was a specific tow dolly area to use, if you had one.

Majority of site's I've been at, do not have that much maneuverable space that you'd be able to back the trailer and motorhome into. We do like to stay at state parks, however, and they tend to have narrower access roads. Assuming you have a hitch on your towed vehicle, you'd have to disconnect the trailer and back it in with your towed vehicle, drop the trailer, then back the MH in.

Clearly, it's going to take more pre-planning and reservations to minimize your anxiety. We do a lot of spontaneous 'where do you want to stop tonight' while on the fly, which wouldn't bode well with your setup.
Kiawah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:03 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We have had a 25' enclosed car trailer for the past 5 months and I had the same concerns when we bought it. We have travelled from Oregon to Spokane to Indy then Detroit and now Florida. About 200 miles a day so plenty of stops. A couple of places we had to be at a certain time we booked in advance otherwise we played it as a "day of "choice. We do look online with the Allstays ap and even google earth to check out a park if not sure we have called a couple hours in advance , making clear we are 65 (+) feet long. We have mostly had pull thru spaces and only used a red cone once because I was about 3' to long. I would assume you to be much shorter.
There are plenty of places you won't fit , but I've found just as many that there is no problem.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:59 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Excellent feedback everyone, thanks for chiming in. Bill, itís good to know you are finding options. As you said, weíll be a little shorter than that behemoth youíre driving around in so we should be able to find a home.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman6 View Post
New guy here so please forgive me if this has been discussed recently, I couldnít find anything in my browsing.

Just picked up our Challenger 37KT and we will be towing a utility trailer containing our dingy and other toys. I would like to know how to deal with this in the campgrounds? For example, do they usually offer a drop spot to use while weíre there, do places offer pull throughs that are long enough to accommodate both, etc? And of course any other helpful info the group might have.

For the sake of this discussion letís assume all other options have been researched and a trailer is the best choice for our situation.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Does your utility trailer have brakes and do you have the weight capacity to haul trailer weight and cargo.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:18 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Tinman6".....I think you'll soon find (after a few trips) that you are going to the same places, especially if you're hauling toys, and will soon get to know what will work, what campgrounds have room and which ones don't.

Even in smaller sites, you can off squeeze a trailer off to the side. We have been to a couple of parks where they had designated spots for trailers.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:00 AM   #8

At 52 ft. overall with car trailer, we are a little shorter than your rig, and rarely if ever need to unhook. We usually call the day of our planned stop, and indicate length. We use KOA a lot, and their online registration form has a place to indicate length. If we are really concerned, Google Earth (not Google Maps) has a neat "measuring tool" that can be used to check site length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
We have had a 25' enclosed car trailer for the past 5 months and I had the same concerns when we bought it. We have travelled from Oregon to Spokane to Indy then Detroit and now Florida. About 200 miles a day so plenty of stops. A couple of places we had to be at a certain time we booked in advance otherwise we played it as a "day of "choice. We do look online with the Allstays ap and even google earth to check out a park if not sure we have called a couple hours in advance , making clear we are 65 (+) feet long. We have mostly had pull thru spaces and only used a red cone once because I was about 3' to long. I would assume you to be much shorter.
There are plenty of places you won't fit , but I've found just as many that there is no problem.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Does your utility trailer have brakes and do you have the weight capacity to haul trailer weight and cargo.
My thoughts exactly. Don't know what your toad is or how much it weighs but tongue weight is usually the first limit you hit. With a 5K load the tongue weight will be 500# - 750#. Guessing since the OP's rig is a gasser that 500#\5000# is the max rating. Been down this road already which is why I got rid of my enclosed trailer and bought a flatbed.
PbdBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:40 AM   #10

I would want to know what the trailer will weigh loaded and what the tongue weight is. We pull a 26' aluminum enclosed trailer with our off road Jeep. It also has a 5.5K commercial generator, AC on the roof, tool chest, compressor and other goodies. It weighs about 13,000# with a 1500# tongue weight. My coach has a 15,000# hitch and can handle the load fine. I also use a load leveling hitch. At 75' long, I have always found a place to camp and only once had to unhook for a five day stay. Our son travels with us sometimes and his rig is 78' long. I have seen some gas MH's towing what looked like a 20' enclosed trailer and they were really sagging at the rear of the coach.

My guess is that the OP's trailer weight will be greater than the towing and hitch capacity, but I could be wrong. When set up properly, it's a great way to bring the toys and other things, but set up wrong can be an expensive nightmare.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:17 AM   #11

To the OP, out of curiosity I looked up the 37KT specs. Some say and 8000# hitch and others say a 5000# hitch. All state a 22,000# GVWR and a 26,000# GCWR. If your loaded coach comes in close to 22,000#, that leaves only 4000# towing capacity. What will your combined weight be? What is your hitch rating? What will the tongue weight be. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but don't want to see you end up with a combination that might not work. Bad things can happen when things fail.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow, that escalated quickly...tough crowd. The OP asked about length being an issue in campgrounds, not whether or not his trailer is too much for his MH, or if he needs brakes, or...

"utility trailer containing our dingy and other toys" could mean alot of different things, some heavy some light.

What makes anyone automatically assume that he is overweight?
Old 08-03-2016, 01:05 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
Wow, that escalated quickly...tough crowd. The OP asked about length being an issue in campgrounds, not whether or not his trailer is too much for his MH, or if he needs brakes, or...

"utility trailer containing our dingy and other toys" could mean alot of different things, some heavy some light.

What makes anyone automatically assume that he is overweight?
I prefer to look at it from another perspective. The OP said "new guy" and was worried about length and availability of parking. Obviously does not have towing a trailer with a MH experience.

Some of the more experienced fellows looked at this and added some sage advice regarding the MH and what could be weight issues.

Perhaps the advice will prevent the OP from creating a dangerous situation or at least give him the information to ensure he is within guidelines. I doubt there is any malice or insincerity in their posts.

I believe that the experienced should help the new guys as well as each other. We are out on the road with experienced and newbies alike. I prefer the people with whom I share the road be as safe as possible.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:16 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks again to everyone that chimed in on the length question. Crasher, its comforting to know youíre finding spots at 75í. With a little planning, google earth reconnaissance and a few phone calls in advance it sounds like weíll be fine. Also the information about length on the KOA site will come in handy.

As far as the weight issue, I appreciate everyone jumping in on that as well. I said I was new so it was a fair assumption that I had not considered these variables. Forums such as this are filled with all types so sometimes itís best to explain to the lowest common denominator just to be on the safe side. More information is always better.

Even though being a mechanical engineer drives my wife crazy sometimes with data analysis, it does come in handy for situations like this. Iím happy to report Iíve crunched the numbers with every possible configuration of fuel, fluids and freight (in trailer and coach) and we are good.

Thanks again for your wisdom, Iím sure more newbie questions will follow. Stay tuned.

Tags
class a, tow, towing