Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2016, 08:59 AM   #1

Towing with an Overbilt Lift

I have an Overbilt Lift on my class A, I normally carry an Ultra Limited on it and tow a Wrangler behind that, works great. My question is has anyone ever towed their toad without the bike and with the lift in a folded up position by attaching the tow bar to the center receiver on the coach. My bar seems plenty long enough, just didn't know if anyone had tried it and was running in to any issues I haven't thought of.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1452524362.953022.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	116215

HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2016, 09:21 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My set up isn't quite the same, well maybe not even close, with a hitch mount bike rack and the toad together using a dual receiver. My concern was entering parking lots and stuff when the back end of the coach drops and the tow bar pivots up. If the bar contacted the frame of the bike rack the bike rack would lose and more than likely I would end up with a handle bar punching a hole into the rear cap. My solution was the cut the rack tube back and drill a new pin hole. Before the mod, the outer bike was over the left/right pivot point of the tow bar and pretty much ensure the bar would contact the rack with vertical movement.

As long as the bar can moving in all directions without contacting the lift you shouldn't have a problem. You can add a hitch extension but just beaware of potential reductions concerning hitch capacity. Weakest item dictates capacity.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
My set up isn't quite the same, well maybe not even close, with a hitch mount bike rack and the toad together using a dual receiver. My concern was entering parking lots and stuff when the back end of the coach drops and the tow bar pivots up. If the bar contacted the frame of the bike rack the bike rack would lose and more than likely I would end up with a handle bar punching a hole into the rear cap. My solution was the cut the rack tube back and drill a new pin hole. Before the mod, the outer bike was over the left/right pivot point of the tow bar and pretty much ensure the bar would contact the rack with vertical movement.

As long as the bar can moving in all directions without contacting the lift you shouldn't have a problem. You can add a hitch extension but just beaware of potential reductions concerning hitch capacity. Weakest item dictates capacity.

Actually you gave me the answer and it was right in front of my face! When you mentioned modifying the bar I went back and looked again at the crossbar that could possibly be in the way. It had pins at both ends which made for simple removal so the designer of the lift had taken this issue in to account, just pulled out the pins and lifted it out, so simple I just couldn't see it, thanks!
HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:22 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL1950 View Post
Actually you gave me the answer and it was right in front of my face! When you mentioned modifying the bar I went back and looked again at the crossbar that could possibly be in the way. It had pins at both ends which made for simple removal so the designer of the lift had taken this issue in to account, just pulled out the pins and lifted it out, so simple I just couldn't see it, thanks!
Sometimes I get it right without even being right.

Tags
tow, towing