Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2015, 06:28 PM   #15

I have carried a full dresser on the back of a 40' Phaeton and towed a mini-van four down with a 330 Cat. Then I went to the Tandem Dolly. We carried a Goldwing Trike and Escalade trailer on the dolly along with the front wheels of a 2010 Unlimited Rubicon. Then I went to an open trailer and carried a Polaris RZR cross ways on the front and a Jeep Rock Crawler behind it. Now we pull a 26' Aluminum enclosed trailer (equipped with generator, AC, welder, work bench and awning) with a modified Jeep LJ Crawler and either the RZR or the Goldwing trike along with various other items. All of these methods worked well and did what they were designed to do. At 75' long, I have always found an RV park to pull into and have never had to unhook. More and more parks are setting up to handle bigger rigs. Of all of your options, the one with the biggest concern is the weight transfer of carrying a 1200# weight (Bike and lift) so far behind the rear axle. The rear axle of our Phaeton was over loaded and I also had to go from 255X80/22.5 tires to 275's to prevent overloading the tires.
The best option of all we have done is the enclosed trailer. We don't always need to take two toys, but it's easy to do with the enclosed option.

Edit: I should add that our trailer weighs 12,000#'s and has 1300#'s dead weight on the hitch. I installed a 15,000# hitch approved by Tiffin and also use an equalizer hitch with 1700# arms.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2015, 06:40 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Freedom, I wasn't aware of that but I'm going to direct to the builder for the lift.

DLR,thanks for the tip and yes I'll be coming from the north. Do I need to avoid that road?

thaks, Bill

Old 09-13-2015, 06:48 PM   #17

I was there about three weeks ago and it was closed then, you should send them an e-mail and ask if it is still out, if so go one exit beyond him on 87 and get off in Kingston and approach from the south, not hard to do if you know ahead of time😀
HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:36 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That's not what I am saying.. I am. Looking a the best way to transport my jeep and my harley..that's all I am saying..
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpmich View Post
When you say "it's not about the numbers" do you really mean that you are ignoring the towing and weight capacities of your MH? I can tell you that I had a friend who tried to push the limits of his rig which, by the way, had a longer wheel base and larger diesel, and found out the hard way it doesn't work. The second year he ended up purchasing a unit with a larger engine and tag axle to accommodate his motorcycle lift and purchased new, lighter vehicle, to tow. It wasn't an inexpensive resolution to "ignoring the numbers"!
Old 09-13-2015, 08:59 PM   #19

If you are over the limit and have an accident that was because you were over weight your insurance company can deny coverage.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie143 View Post
If you are over the limit and have an accident that was because you were over weight your insurance company can deny coverage.
The only way an insurance company can deny coverage due to an over weight axle is if it is stated so in the policy. It is treated no differently than if you were speeding and caused an accident. Being over the legal length also has no effect on coverage unless stated in the policy. This question was raised on another forum and I called my ins company. They said that any condition of denial of coverage must be spelled out in the policy.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1374 View Post
Freedom, I wasn't aware of that but I'm going to direct to the builder for the lift.

DLR,thanks for the tip and yes I'll be coming from the north. Do I need to avoid that road?

thaks, Bill
Just do your homework and add up the numbers. I would never take a dealer's word for anything because his goal is to get as much of your money as he can. If he says it will work, have him show you how the numbers add up.

Travel Safe.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:22 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petesflhtk View Post
That's not what I am saying.. I am. Looking a the best way to transport my jeep and my harley..that's all I am saying..
Just don't start bad mouthing Winnebago or Freightliner when something breaks. OK?
Old 09-14-2015, 09:50 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holy cow guys.. Take a chill pill.. I am looking for the best way to haul a couple of toys.. Can we stay focused on the question at hand.. Pretty soon someone is gonna be hanging from the gallows..convienience and ease are the questions not safety or insurance etc...
Old 09-14-2015, 10:03 PM   #24

I'd get a lift. Someday I'll be trading off my TH for a DP and that's the plan for my Limited.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:34 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petesflhtk View Post
Holy cow guys.. Take a chill pill.. I am looking for the best way to haul a couple of toys.. Can we stay focused on the question at hand.. Pretty soon someone is gonna be hanging from the gallows..convienience and ease are the questions not safety or insurance etc...

I agree, this is getting way too serious, we are all here to exchange ideas, not get aggravated, this has always been the most civil and respectful forum I have ever been on and we all just have to respect each other's opinions.
HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:06 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
I haul a 450# bike on an Overbilt lift which weighs 305#. I have weighed it and am within the tire limits, I can almost guarantee you will be way way over the tire limits. That is a number I wouldn't ignore, personally. A tire coming apart can easily do $10,000 or more in damage to the coach. I had a tire come apart on my toad pickup last week & the estimate is $6000.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:43 AM   #27

Convenience and ease. Not worried about the numbers? As a former airline pilot I was always concerned about the numbers. Sure it will fly but is it safe. Now maybe your not worried about the numbers cause you have all the numbers handled. In that case. . I have a Harley I would like to haul as well. For me I just concluded that without the tag I would pass on the lift. Let us know how it works out.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:48 AM   #28

Petesflhtk,
Why are you discounting the genuine concerns the responders here have for your safety? They are not trying to discourage you from what you want to do. They just want you to do it in a responsible manner.

You came to this forum looking for good advise. Don't be offended if the advise was not what you expected. That is not wise.

Many a guy lying in a cemetery last words were "Hey, watch this!". And he took some of the people around him lay with him.

Acknowledge our concerns for you, say that you will indeed do your homework and move on.

Travel safe, my friend.

Tags
tow, towing