Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2015, 08:57 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
I'm all about taking the toys, that's what makes travelling fun. I take a motorcycle, 4WD pickup truck, 2 seat Polaris ATV in the truck and a 14' Porta-Bote hanging under the coach with a 6HP motor for it in the bay. Kayaks would be a great addition in the future.

It's important to do the math, it eliminates interruptions in the fun!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2015, 06:10 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maybe I have already done my math maybe not...it wasn't my question in the beginning..I am thinking maybe a few should just try and stay on topic.. '
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomDream View Post
Petesflhtk,
Why are you discounting the genuine concerns the responders here have for your safety? They are not trying to discourage you from what you want to do. They just want you to do it in a responsible manner.

You came to this forum looking for good advise. Don't be offended if the advise was not what you expected. That is not wise.

Many a guy lying in a cemetery last words were "Hey, watch this!". And he took some of the people around him lay with him.

Acknowledge our concerns for you, say that you will indeed do your homework and move on.

Travel safe, my friend.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:03 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frutza View Post
Like has been said, you have to look at the specs of your Dp, mostly GCVW and rear axle, I use the enclosed trailer, and I still have weight issues.
I put the motorcycle, Goldwing about #900, up front in the v nose, but with all that weight up front, I'm heavy on the ball, I am going to get a weight distributing hitch, but in hind sight, maybe I should have had the axles moved more forward. I also had them extend the trailer tounge to aid in sharp turns.
The trailer is nice to keep things out of the elements and more cargo space, but it really adds to overall length, I have had to unhook at some campgrounds, it's not that hard.
I also had a rear camera added, like the one in the coach so I can use the same monitor.
You should weigh your coach 1st to see how much more you can add to the rear
Now, what kind of Jeep do you have? I've heard to not tow dolly a Wrangler, but also that it says that's OK in the manual? I'm looking into that right now, I don't have a manual

I have a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4 WD and it says in my manual to only tow 4 down or 4 up never 2 down. You will damage the rear end.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:26 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil57 View Post
I have a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4 WD and it says in my manual to only tow 4 down or 4 up never 2 down. You will damage the rear end.
That's just not true. How could it damage the rear end? It's just rolling along lubricating itself the same as if you were driving it. My 2010 JKU Rubi said the same thing and I posed the question to a Jeep service rep. However, I did not ask about towing it on a dolly, as I knew what their scripted answer would be. I told him I had damaged the front drive shaft and could I take it off and tow the JK behind our motor home 4 down without the front shaft. He said sure and that would not be a problem. I then called another dealer with the same question and got the same response. It's no different on a dolly, as the front output shaft of the tc is not turning. I towed that Jeep over 5000 miles on a dolly with no problems. There was a time with the older Grand Cherokees that had a viscous coupler in the transfer case to sense slippage of the rear wheels and applied power to the front. You would do serious damage to the vc towing it on a dolly, but the current JK tc does not have that design. When the tc is in neutral, it doesn't care if either of the output shafts are turning or not.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:50 AM   #33

One other thing to consider: the maximum combined length of the MH and trailer/whatever behind it. I am sure it varies by jurisdiction, but a common maximum length for a MH and towed vehicle is 65 ft.
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:49 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petesflhtk View Post
Maybe I have already done my math maybe not...it wasn't my question in the beginning..I am thinking maybe a few should just try and stay on topic.. '
Pete

You posted a question on a public forum. I would venture a guess and say many on this forum have much more experience than you on the subject of which you are inquiring. They provided you with information that may or may not be on topic in your opinion but was information given to you in the event you are clueless and pose a public threat to yourself or to others who may be traveling next to you. There is a lot of great information you can get off this site from members. Your remarks above appear condescending and disrespectful to others who are trying to help you. I think you will find that if you show a little common courtesy to posters responding you will have a better result in your quest for information. Cheers!
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:46 AM   #35

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry , if you ask 155000 members there opinion, is that number right?, you get a lot of opinions, and everybody thinks there way is the best, do what works best for you, but be prepared to have to make changes for the better if needed, take a little advice from everybody, and make it your own, then you too can help the next poster with your experiences, not trying to be cocky or offensive, just my opinion
Old 09-19-2015, 03:49 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
That's just not true. How could it damage the rear end? It's just rolling along lubricating itself the same as if you were driving it. My 2010 JKU Rubi said the same thing and I posed the question to a Jeep service rep. However, I did not ask about towing it on a dolly, as I knew what their scripted answer would be. I told him I had damaged the front drive shaft and could I take it off and tow the JK behind our motor home 4 down without the front shaft. He said sure and that would not be a problem. I then called another dealer with the same question and got the same response. It's no different on a dolly, as the front output shaft of the tc is not turning. I towed that Jeep over 5000 miles on a dolly with no problems. There was a time with the older Grand Cherokees that had a viscous coupler in the transfer case to sense slippage of the rear wheels and applied power to the front. You would do serious damage to the vc towing it on a dolly, but the current JK tc does not have that design. When the tc is in neutral, it doesn't care if either of the output shafts are turning or not.

I will admit I'm not a mechanic and may just be repeating what's in the Jeep operations manual. It states clearly that a Wrangler is not to be dolly towed. It very well may not be true but then again I don't see why they would have a conspiracy against dollies. I would just not do it or at least not admit to it if you are having warranty work done on the drivetrain.
I should not have said that it could damage the rear end as I do not know if that is the part that could be they claim could be damaged.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:28 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil57 View Post
I will admit I'm not a mechanic and may just be repeating what's in the Jeep operations manual. It states clearly that a Wrangler is not to be dolly towed. It very well may not be true but then again I don't see why they would have a conspiracy against dollies. I would just not do it or at least not admit to it if you are having warranty work done on the drivetrain.
I should not have said that it could damage the rear end as I do not know if that is the part that could be they claim could be damaged.
I don't doubt that it is still in the owners manual, but I suspect it is a carry over from the transfer cases that could not be towed on a dolly. The 249 tc, also called Quadra-trac, was a full time tc and used the viscous coupler to determine how much power to apply to the front wheels. It could not be towed on a dolly without serious damage to the coupler. I believe the 247 was also a full time tc and could not be towed on a dolly either. The 231, 242, and current 241 tc used in the Wrangler are not full time and can be driven without the front DS or on a dolly. Several Jeep enthusiasts install lockout hubs on the front axles which disengages the axle shafts, ring and pinion and front drive shaft from turning to improve mileage and reduce wear on those components. That is no different than towing on a dolly. As a general rule, if a transfer case has a 2wd position, it can probably be towed on a dolly. Any TC that is "Full Time" can not.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:01 AM   #38

Send a message via Skype™ to rccrafters69
Question on your enclosed trailer experience

We have a new Tuscany 40 bx and want to tow an enclosed trailer with a 2014 camaro that weighs 3800 lbs. I'm thinking we want a 20' inside the trailer.The combination should weigh around 7000 lbs. My concern is the tongue weight. How can I estimate this before I buy the trailer? Anyone have a similar set up that has an idea of their tongue weight?
'
Old 09-19-2015, 10:09 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrafters69 View Post
We have a new Tuscany 40 bx and want to tow an enclosed trailer with a 2014 camaro that weighs 3800 lbs. I'm thinking we want a 20' inside the trailer.The combination should weigh around 7000 lbs. My concern is the tongue weight. How can I estimate this before I buy the trailer? Anyone have a similar set up that has an idea of their tongue weight?
'
The tongue weight of "Any" trailer should be 10-15% of the gross trailer weight. So, if 7k........Min. tongue weight should be 700#
Here is a thread I started when we bought our trailer to transport our toy's My new mobile garage has arrived......
Sure is nice to have the JK and the Hog clean when we arrive at our destination..........
Old 09-19-2015, 11:37 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrafters69 View Post
'
I would suggest that you get a trailer longer than you think you need. As palehorse mentioned. 10-15% on the tongue. With a slightly longer trailer than you need, you can position the Camaro where needed to get a proper balance. I also think your total weight will be closer to 8,000#. These trailers always seem to weigh more than the manufacturer states. A neighbor just came home with a new 24' that weighed 800# more than he was told. Also an equalizer hitch is a big improvement on a single rear axle MH.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:22 PM   #41

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't know how to figure what the tongue weight will be, but I back in to take some of the weight off the hitch,
Old 09-19-2015, 09:49 PM   #42

I pull a 20ft enclosed car trailer with side by side and motorcycles or a combo of and its easy to adjust tongue weight by where you position the load. Depending on where the axles are on the trailer you might need to back the car in.

Tags
tow, towing