Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2015, 11:17 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Towing with our D P

We are new to the DP world having admired them for many years, have moved over from a 5W.
A partial reason for the move was so we could safely bring other items along such as out Jeep and Harley. Our conundrum now is how do we haul these items. I have seen lifts for the bike and tow the Jeep on all fours or on a dolly, I have seen Dolly's that will take the bike and the Jeep, an open flat bed trailer, an enclosed trailer...
We will be hauling these items with a 2002 Winnebago 39, 330 Cat... The power is ample, will loose on the hills but we aren't in a race and not afraid to pull over to let others pass...
The question is the best way to tow these items...
Thanks for the input..
Petesflhtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2015, 11:35 AM   #2

If it is a Wrangler then do not use a dolly. Four down or flat bed, either open or enclosed car hauler. Enclosed is nice because you keep the vehicles out the elements and can store other stuff. However you have less room to get in and out of the jeep and less room to maneuver to tie it down.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:44 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
This is a conundrum for many. We have all these toys and have to figure out how to get them there. You really need to sit down and figure out how you're going to use them.

-Will you need/want both vehicles on every trip?

-Do the places you camp have room for a trailer after parking the coach?

-Do you go to same place regularly and know what to expect?

-What's your budget....the lifts are expensive and then you need tow equipment for the Jeep.

-Are there times when you'll only take the Harley? How will you haul it by itself?

I think once you answer all these questions, it will narrow down what will work best for you. I like those dollies where the HD can be loaded on the front and the Jeep right behind it. They take less room if you have to park the trailer (dolly) somewhere. If you're finicky, the enclosed trailer is nice for keeping things clean, but would be an issue as to what to do with it when you arrive at a campground.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:39 PM   #4

If you are wanting to have BOTH, the GCVW rating and the rear axel weight rating and the hitch rating will govern if it is possible. To haul both, you will need to put the motorcycle up on a lift and extend the hitch in order to tow the Jeep four down.

Do your homework. Add up all the numbers, weigh the vehicles including a four corner weight for the motorhome. Putting that much weight behind the rear axel will take weight off the front and cause steering problems. Lotts stuff to consider.

Travel safe.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:06 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Dealing with the same thoughts myself. I just acquired this coach after a lot of questions and plans. I'll be heading to Kingston NY soon for an Overbilt MC lift installation which includes the receiver for the tow bar for my toad. A bit expensive setup but I think it will work well. I considered a trailer for both but would need a storage lot for the trailer in Florida as my site is not big enough for storage.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1374 View Post
Dealing with the same thoughts myself. I just acquired this coach after a lot of questions and plans. I'll be heading to Kingston NY soon for an Overbilt MC lift installation which includes the receiver for the tow bar for my toad. A bit expensive setup but I think it will work well. I considered a trailer for both but would need a storage lot for the trailer in Florida as my site is not big enough for storage.
You are going to be putting a LOT of weight on that hitch. Be advised of problems that Tiffin has had with frame supports in the back breaking welds and causing sagging of the rear end. It is on the Tiffin forum. You may want the hitch installer to check the rear of the chassis frame.
Good luck
Old 09-12-2015, 06:46 PM   #7

Like has been said, you have to look at the specs of your Dp, mostly GCVW and rear axle, I use the enclosed trailer, and I still have weight issues.
I put the motorcycle, Goldwing about #900, up front in the v nose, but with all that weight up front, I'm heavy on the ball, I am going to get a weight distributing hitch, but in hind sight, maybe I should have had the axles moved more forward. I also had them extend the trailer tounge to aid in sharp turns.
The trailer is nice to keep things out of the elements and more cargo space, but it really adds to overall length, I have had to unhook at some campgrounds, it's not that hard.
I also had a rear camera added, like the one in the coach so I can use the same monitor.
You should weigh your coach 1st to see how much more you can add to the rear
Now, what kind of Jeep do you have? I've heard to not tow dolly a Wrangler, but also that it says that's OK in the manual? I'm looking into that right now, I don't have a manual
Old 09-12-2015, 06:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1374 View Post

Was just down there myself a few weeks ago, be aware that there was a bridge out just before his facility if you are on Kings Highway coming from the north. The lift works as advertised and it is a bargain compared to some of the others, let us know how you make out.
HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petesflhtk View Post
We are new to the DP world having admired them for many years, have moved over from a 5W.
A partial reason for the move was so we could safely bring other items along such as out Jeep and Harley. Our conundrum now is how do we haul these items. I have seen lifts for the bike and tow the Jeep on all fours or on a dolly, I have seen Dolly's that will take the bike and the Jeep, an open flat bed trailer, an enclosed trailer...
We will be hauling these items with a 2002 Winnebago 39, 330 Cat... The power is ample, will loose on the hills but we aren't in a race and not afraid to pull over to let others pass...
The question is the best way to tow these items...
Thanks for the input..
Good question that many of us have. I didn't have this problem in my toy-hauler 5th wheel, but would never go back to one.
A trailer will cost less but your inconvenience level will go up dramatically. Campgrounds will be a royal PITA.
I flat tow and can hook or unhook my toad in less than 2 minutes.
After extensive research I decided to have a Hydra-lift installed for the bike. It was just put on and I don't have the coach back yet to comment on it but believe it will work nicely.
Good luck
Old 09-13-2015, 09:22 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the input folks.. We do have a Wrangler Unlimited so an enclosed trailer will have to be 24' long by my calculations + hitch so 30'.. Already a challenge with a 40' MH. As someone posted, will we always have both, no we won't..
Kinda leaning towards a lift and tow the Jeep on all fours , then again, the dolly could work if I can tow with 2 up, would also add a bit of versatility...
I am concerned with that 1000 lbs hanging on the back end..
Old 09-13-2015, 12:33 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
This has been on here before, but it needs to be on here again. Do the numbers.

Your towing capacity is normally the lowest of:

- GCWR minus weight of MH when ready to travel (loaded).

- Hitch capacity.

- MH tow capacity.

- Chassis tow capacity...some times the last two are different.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:53 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks but it's not about 'the numbers' to me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
This has been on here before, but it needs to be on here again. Do the numbers.

Your towing capacity is normally the lowest of:

- GCWR minus weight of MH when ready to travel (loaded).

- Hitch capacity.

- MH tow capacity.

- Chassis tow capacity...some times the last two are different.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:41 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Did you get the coach back with the lift yet? I ride a 14 Limited also what color u get? awesome bikes ehh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny-shawna View Post
Good question that many of us have. I didn't have this problem in my toy-hauler 5th wheel, but would never go back to one.
A trailer will cost less but your inconvenience level will go up dramatically. Campgrounds will be a royal PITA.
I flat tow and can hook or unhook my toad in less than 2 minutes.
After extensive research I decided to have a Hydra-lift installed for the bike. It was just put on and I don't have the coach back yet to comment on it but believe it will work nicely.
Good luck
Old 09-13-2015, 05:15 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petesflhtk View Post
Thanks but it's not about 'the numbers' to me...

When you say "it's not about the numbers" do you really mean that you are ignoring the towing and weight capacities of your MH? I can tell you that I had a friend who tried to push the limits of his rig which, by the way, had a longer wheel base and larger diesel, and found out the hard way it doesn't work. The second year he ended up purchasing a unit with a larger engine and tag axle to accommodate his motorcycle lift and purchased new, lighter vehicle, to tow. It wasn't an inexpensive resolution to "ignoring the numbers"!
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing