Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2015, 05:10 PM   #1

Toy hauler

I have a canyon star toy hauler and I have a question about whether or not it would be safe to use the front hydraulic levelers to raise the front of the coach to decrease the angle of entry/exit into, or out of, the garage area. Motorcycles can be tricky backing out on an incline.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2015, 12:47 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Your question is shared with Outlaw owners...which has an identical chassis (height above ground) just a different shaped ramp.

Yes, the front leveling jacks can be dropped to lower the garage ramp. Just be careful not to over-extend the jacks or allow deflection on uneven ground that could bend a mount.

But, you really don't need to lower the tail...here's a trick for unloading...with the bike's engine off, and gearbox in first...keep both feet on the ground and use the clutch lever and front brake lever (hand controls) to engage the clutch and front wheel brake to control the descent.

Yes, the hand controls are opposite to engage (brake is in, clutch is out), but is easy to master with a little practice.

Congrats on the Canyon Star, and if interested, please share about it here:
Class "A" Toyhaulers

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:30 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I always keep my right foot on the rear brake, right hand on the front brake, with the engine in 1st gear and the clutch in. Depending upon the weight of the bike, the front tire could slide down the ramp with the brake engaged is the reason I employ the rear brake for safety. I never unload my bike with leveling jacks down as hanging on on high center is too great a risk when unloading. It happened to me once. If where I plan to park the RV is up hill terrain, I unload the motorcycle in advance to avoid an extra steep ramp.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:34 AM   #4

Yes put in first gear and use the clutch, all the front brake does is slide the front tire. I have never needed to raise the front end but there is no reason to keep you from doing this. When I went to Sturgis I put the bike away each night due to hail storms and I found the practice of putting it in and taking it out made using the clutch much easier.
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:10 AM   #5

thanks so much, especially the advice concerning practicing in advance, glad to know this is an available safe option
Old 04-05-2015, 11:41 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just want to be clear...do not lock either tire while rolling down the ramp.
A locked tire will just let the tire skid as soon as traction is broken. A skidding tire adds very little for control (braking or steering).

Most of the bike's weight is on the rear while descending, so using the clutch to slow the rear tire works best for us, and is better than using the rear brake because that allows both feet to stay firmly on the ground for balance.

The main focus here is a gentle slow descent to keep the bike up-right. I have seen bikes dropped on toy hauler ramps (once rolling off the side) Damaging the bike and embarassing the owner.

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote