Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2011, 01:48 AM   #15

Our Journey's original Michelins lasted 51,000 miles. Still had plenty of tread but I changed them because they were nine years old. I bet they had close to 50% tread left...

Replaced with Toyos to save a few bucks. Coach wandered, tail wagged, etc like crazy after having the Toyos installed. We played with pressure, etc, to no avail. After several hundred unhappy miles, the tire shop installed Michelin's like it had from the factory. Problem solved, drives perfectly.

I really wanted to like the Toyo tires, but they caused very poor handling characteristics.

Kudos to the tire shop that credited me full cost of the Toyos.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2011, 08:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
I had Michelin XRV tires on my 2006 Journey and with only 16000 miles on them I had to replace because of severe sidewall cracking. I went with the Toyo M 154, 265/75R 22.5 tires and find that they have a slightly stiffer ride than the Michelin XRV's. The Toyo's were quite a bit cheaper than a set of Michelin's but the difference in ride is barely noticeable.

Sammie
Thanks, Sammie. Still concerned about the ride of the Toyo's M 154,265/75-22.5 and the handling. Was the ride bad enough to be really a problem. I kow the M154 was designed as a stiffer tire. Don't want to make a $2500 mistake.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:18 AM   #17

Rexhall Owners Group
From the Toyo website. May be of interest.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RVtire_replacement_advisory.pdf (56.5 KB, 161 views)
Old 12-31-2011, 10:33 AM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Panda,

Toyo had a problem with National RV - - as did a lot of people because they were cutting corners. So Toyo decided that they didn't need the hassle of trying to satisfy RV Manufacturers or get involved in recalls, so they discontinued marketing their tires as "RV Tires". Still make great tires for trucks and those tires do well when put on motorhomes.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:53 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
Our Journey's original Michelins lasted 51,000 miles. Still had plenty of tread but I changed them because they were nine years old. I bet they had close to 50% tread left...

Replaced with Toyos to save a few bucks. Coach wandered, tail wagged, etc like crazy after having the Toyos installed. We played with pressure, etc, to no avail. After several hundred unhappy miles, the tire shop installed Michelin's like it had from the factory. Problem solved, drives perfectly.

I really wanted to like the Toyo tires, but they caused very poor handling characteristics.

Kudos to the tire shop that credited me full cost of the Toyos.
I also have a slight wandering problem since I had the Toyo's installed. I think maybe it's due to the stiffer sidewall. I'm going to get the front end aligned to see if it cures the wandering. No tail wagging noticed and the ride is about the same as the Michelins, but then I don't get to put on the miles that you do in a year so every time I go camping it's like a new experience for me.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:04 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandK View Post
From the Toyo website. May be of interest.
When the manufacturer states that their tires are not to be used on motorhomes I would not use them for that application. Sounds like Toyo will not support you if there is a problem, not sure if they would stand behind their warranty if tires are used in a non recommended application.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:58 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck62 View Post
When the manufacturer states that their tires are not to be used on motorhomes I would not use them for that application. Sounds like Toyo will not support you if there is a problem, not sure if they would stand behind their warranty if tires are used in a non recommended application.
Read the notice again.

Toyo stated that their tires are not to be used on National motorhomes. They had issues with the company using under-rated tires on their motor homes and blamed Toyo.
UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoon32 View Post
Thanks, Sammie. Still concerned about the ride of the Toyo's M 154,265/75-22.5 and the handling. Was the ride bad enough to be really a problem. I kow the M154 was designed as a stiffer tire. Don't want to make a $2500 mistake.

Are you sure that the 265/75 R22.5s are the correct size for your coach?

This might help you select the correct size tires.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~kwildman...cing tires.doc
UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #23

I am working on the second set of Toyos on my motorhome and one SUV. The other SUV is still working on it's first set. Results are solid. Ride is great.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
I had Michelin XRV tires on my 2006 Journey and with only 16000 miles on them I had to replace because of severe sidewall cracking. I went with the Toyo M 154, 265/75R 22.5 tires and find that they have a slightly stiffer ride than the Michelin XRV's. The Toyo's were quite a bit cheaper than a set of Michelin's but the difference in ride is barely noticeable.

Sammie
Am a little concerned about the ride since I know that the 154's is a stiffer tire but am more concerned about the handling, any difference here?
Thanks Sammy
Old 01-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #25

I also have a Beaver, what size tires did you replace? My Beaver came with Toto's but replaced them with RV670's, they need replaced also not satisfied with them. Am thinking about going back to the Toyo's.
Thanks for the info, Don S.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraKen View Post
Are you sure that the 265/75 R22.5s are the correct size for your coach?

This might help you select the correct size tires.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~kwildman...cing tires.doc
The 265/75-22.5 are the same diameter as the tires on the original tire chart. Have plenty of clearance for the duels. This would get my speedometer and GPS to agree.
Thanks Don S.

Tags
tires