Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2018, 05:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Where are the Toyo M144 tires manufactured?

mine are made in the usa
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2018, 06:40 PM   #16

LOL! I have had two sets of brand new tires on my coach and they do not smell the way you described yours. Maybe it is something else that is smelling and you think it is the tires???

Originals were Michelins XRV and I was always worried about blow outs with them. So I switched to Toyo tires and I can say by experience that they are very good tires balanced with Equal and man you get the smoothest ride you can have and the tire tread wears even.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez1 View Post
LOL! I have had two sets of brand new tires on my coach and they do not smell the way you described yours. Maybe it is something else that is smelling and you think it is the tires???
When they were installing them, I smelled what I thought was a city street sewer drain. There was some standing water there, so I dismissed it. Got home from a test run and as soon as I stepped out of the coach the smell was there. Really strong next to the tires. Much less intense the next morning, but still there at the tires. Others have contacted me with similar tales. Seems it is hit and miss.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:14 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez1 View Post
It's definitely the tires, there are many others that note the same smell. Smells just like manure. I don't put that many miles on my tires since most my camping is done within a 3hr drive from my home, but after 1 year the smell is almost gone, the only person that notices it is me. I believe if I would have put a lot of miles the smell would have gone faster. I dealt with the smell because in the end it saved me probably $1500 over the previous installed Michelin's.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:05 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Crasher,

What size Michelins did you take off your coach? Just curious - my local Toyo dealer steered me toward M177 Toyos in 295/75 as a replacement for Mich 275/80R22.5 XZA.

Thanks.

Chuck
Old 06-22-2018, 08:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Conditioned Gypsy View Post
Crasher,

What size Michelins did you take off your coach? Just curious - my local Toyo dealer steered me toward M177 Toyos in 295/75 as a replacement for Mich 275/80R22.5 XZA.

Thanks.

Chuck
I took off 295/80/R22.5 (7830# single rating) The 295/75 does not have the load rating I want on the steer and it is 1" shorter.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:10 PM   #21

Tires CAN smell... the reason you can smell them is because of the "aromatic oils" used during manufacturing. Aromatic oils are cancer causing agents, and the European Union banned them because of the danger to employees that are manufacturing tires.

Michelin made a conscious decision to remove aromatic oils from all tires, globally, because if they were worried about European employees, they should also consider the employees in the USA.

Have you ever walked into a tool and supply store that has little trailer and wheelbarrow tires in the back corner, and you get an instant headache from the smell? Those are the aromatic, cancer causing oils, used in tire manufacturing. (For the record, I'm not a lawyer or an official spokesperson- just saying what I know from what I've heard.)

Over time, the smell will dissipate, but you aren't imagining it.
PatriciaM is offline   Reply With Quote