Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2015, 09:02 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
I had a friend try to use the online service and yeah to the "upto 5yrs old" condition.
We ended up finding a local place to match and got him fresh date code tires. He bought 6 in May that had Feb 2015 date codes.

Online chat with Simple Tire said that you can call after the tires are pulled from the warehouse but before they are shipped and they can then give DOT date codes. You can tell them you don't want any tires before a certain date and they will cancel order and not ship them to you if they don't meet your criteria.

They use warehouses/distributors all over the country., FYI.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2015, 06:29 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
Online chat with Simple Tire said that you can call after the tires are pulled from the warehouse but before they are shipped and they can then give DOT date codes. You can tell them you don't want any tires before a certain date and they will cancel order and not ship them to you if they don't meet your criteria.

They use warehouses/distributors all over the country., FYI.

Which is funny because I did chat with them. Too much hassle for me to have to babysit an online order. Hence why the local seller got the business... because we set the conditions of which we would accept the tires & they complied. They can tell inventory quantity but not the codes? If anything Id think youd want to know that. New tires that are up to 5yrs old does not make sense if the bill is getting paid out of my wallet.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:54 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Toyo M144 tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
Which is funny because I did chat with them. Too much hassle for me to have to babysit an online order. Hence why the local seller got the business... because we set the conditions of which we would accept the tires & they complied. They can tell inventory quantity but not the codes? If anything Id think youd want to know that. New tires that are up to 5yrs old does not make sense if the bill is getting paid out of my wallet.

Spoke on the phone with them, you can specify the acceptable dates and after they pull the order and receive them from the distributor, if they do not fall within your requirements, they will cancel the order at no charge. No "babysitting" involved.

But they have no XRV tires, on national back order.

Cheers!
Old 07-22-2015, 03:18 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Toyo M144 tires

I just found 6 Michelin XRV 255/80R/22.5 from Simple Tire. Apparently a distributor in Texas just got in a fresh order from Michelin. They were manufactured 2515 (one month old). Looks like Michelin has begun shipments again. Should be here by the end of this week.

Anyone looking for these tires call John at Simple Tire. He will confirm DOT date codes PRIOR to your order. His direct phone number is 267-314-6737. He has given permission to give out his direct number. They use a network of tire warehouses/distributors all over the country.

Just be persistent, inventory changes daily.

Michelin is paying for 75% of the cost of the steers, and 70% of the other 4. Simple tire price is $575 each. He is also giving the 5% former military discount as I served 8 1/2 years in the USAF, so another $29 off per tire x 6 = $172 off order.

I have run Michelins for 40 years and love the ride, and never had a problem other than this surface cracking. Ran them on my Mercedes for 20 years. If they'll pay for 3/4 of the price of new tires every five years, I'll keep buying them. (my old XRV's are DOT 4110).

I'll keep the 2 best old tires for emergency spares.

Has there been ANY documented tire blowouts due to surface cracking on XRV's?

Didn't think so.

Cheers!
Old 07-22-2015, 04:35 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
It seems no one wants to discuss the DOT dates...

See my posts.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:17 PM   #34

National RV Owners Club
Regarding date codes, I bought 4 size 245/75x22.5 Toyos from Simple Tire in May,2015, 3 tires where dated in the last couple of weeks of 2014 and one was in the second week of 2015, so they where fresh enough for me. I would think with their good prices , tires probable don't sit in their warehouse for very long.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 01:58 PM   #35

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
hearing so many positive comments about toyo, i called les schweb about it, was told they don't make 12r22.5 to my coach calling for. couldn't comprehend...

i finally settled with sumitomo on last saturday. 4 of tires, and 6 counteract beads for all, 6 new stem valves, installed, otd price was $1900. this was done in the heart of silicone valley, the most expensive place in the country. i called a couple shops in eugene ahead of time as we were driving toward there, surprised, their otd prices were even higher (another thing couldn't be understood as they have no tax...)

Toyo offers the 12r22.5 in their M170 Commercial Truck line.

Les Schwab has been my "go to" Motorhome tire dealer over the past 13 years because of fantastic service, local presence, and number of shops in my travel area.

But just recently they proposed trailer tires, Toyo M157, for my drive axle.

Something has changed in Les Schwab's operations. Prices are high and off beat recommendations are not appreciated.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:39 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Looking for new steer tires.

Went to Les Schwab today to get a quote.

They have in stock Toyo M122. It is a load range H and 16 ply

Haven't see it talked about in the forum so wondering if anyone had an opinion of the M122 vs. M154?

Thanks
Old 03-12-2016, 01:51 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by asodergren View Post
Just ordered 8 Toyo M144 295/80R-22.5 tires from Cheap Tires Online | Find the Best Deals on Tires | SimpleTire.com for our Travel Supreme. With a 5% military discount (active, retired, vets), the total cost of the tires, including FET and shipping (Ohio) was $3470.62. The installation quote is $320 ($40/tire). Total installed cost will be $3790.62. I just couldn't justify the Michelins and most reviews of the Toyo's are quite positive.
“Toyo Tire does not recommend an “inflate-to-the-load” policy for RV tires.”

https://toyotires2-1524598101.netdna-ssl.com/assets/lib:toyo%20content/RV_tire_safety.pdf
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:09 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
“Toyo Tire does not recommend an “inflate-to-the-load” policy for RV tires.”

https://toyotires2-1524598101.netdna-ssl.com/assets/lib:toyo%20content/RV_tire_safety.pdf
Ha! What they are saying simply is Rv'ers are to lazy to check their tires and wont notice a few lbs that will leak out naturally, putting the tires in a overweight position since they were adjusted to accurate weight with no headroom for loss.
So its better for these "special" people to run at max air for the axle. I'm surprised they actually put in on paper! Truth is thats what most of them think.They swear most blowouts are due to low pressure for the load and I think they are right. Many of the weekend warriors I've seen are in that clueless position. Just funny to see it actually policy.
BTW 1 1/2 years on 295 75 22.5 m144s over 10000 miles and very happy. I was told true or not that the 144s were designed for transit busses. (curb rub's and other abuses )
Old 03-13-2016, 09:42 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
Ha! What they are saying simply is Rv'ers are to lazy to check their tires and wont notice a few lbs that will leak out naturally, putting the tires in a overweight position since they were adjusted to accurate weight with no headroom for loss.
So its better for these "special" people to run at max air for the axle. I'm surprised they actually put in on paper! Truth is thats what most of them think.They swear most blowouts are due to low pressure for the load and I think they are right. Many of the weekend warriors I've seen are in that clueless position. Just funny to see it actually policy.
BTW 1 1/2 years on 295 75 22.5 m144s over 10000 miles and very happy. I was told true or not that the 144s were designed for transit busses. (curb rub's and other abuses )
You may be missing the point. The standard for trucker tires - air to the load carried - does not have recommended cold tire pressures. The standard for Motor Home tires does have established recommended tire inflation pressures set by their manufacturers. See FMVSS 571.120.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:10 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
You may be missing the point. The standard for trucker tires - air to the load carried - does not have recommended cold tire pressures. The standard for Motor Home tires does have established recommended tire inflation pressures set by their manufacturers. See FMVSS 571.120.
Isn't the placard on the drivers wall, recommended pressure at the max load rating ? Mine is. I know many people who reduce that as they aren't at max and reduce pressure for a better "ride" all toyo is saying is not to reduce air for ride quality as many do , weigh and set pressure to the weight. Seems to be the standard response.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:39 AM   #41

This is what Toyo says.

Every vehicle is required by federal regulations to include a tire information placard. This
placard may also be referred to as the tire certification label or federal tire tag. Vehicle
manufacturers are required by federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS) to apply
tires of a suitable size, load range and inflation pressure (as shown on the tire information
placard) that are capable of supporting no less than the gross axle weight rating (GAWR).
Consequently, the vehicle manufacturer’s specified tire inflation pressure is not arbitrary; it is
established by federal safety regulations (ref: Code of Federal Regulations 49, 571.120, and Part 567).
Toyo Tire recommends that you maintain your vehicle’s cold tire
pressure to the pressure specified on the vehicle tire information placard.

Any tire inflation pressures found less than the vehicle manufacturers recommendations for the OE tires are under-inflated.

That's the standards. It's up to you to put ride or safety first.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:08 PM   #42

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by asodergren View Post
Just ordered 8 Toyo M144 295/80R-22.5 tires from Cheap Tires Online | Find the Best Deals on Tires | SimpleTire.com for our Travel Supreme. With a 5% military discount (active, retired, vets), the total cost of the tires, including FET and shipping (Ohio) was $3470.62. The installation quote is $320 ($40/tire). Total installed cost will be $3790.62. I just couldn't justify the Michelins and most reviews of the Toyo's are quite positive.
Hi asodergren..
I have an 04 40' Travel Supreme.. Mine has Michelin's that are just 5 years old and so weather checked I don't trust them.. A dealer has already told me that it is cosmetic! Funny thing is even the inside rear duals are cracked.. I will never be a Michelin customer again..
I am considering the same tire you installed.. Toyo 295/80R 22.5's as trat is what came on the coach.. Size I mean.. Are you happy with yours almost a year later?
Thanks in advance for your reply..
Ron Husak
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires