Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2009, 12:40 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktie.shooter View Post
Yes, I sure can, and it's too bad. Out of this whole thread, I got two serious answers to my question. Sorry, everyone, I didn't realize I was being frivolous. Whey don't we all just close this thread? Thanks.
Sorry, here comes the tack hammer.

I purchased my new Goodyear G670RVs this week. The two reasons for the Goodyears are; we are going to Alaska next year and if I had a problem (Goodyears are by far the most widely available tire used on Coaches), wanted to be sure to be able to get a matching tire and the $75.00/tire rebate.

The place I got them from is a tire chain in East Central Florida. I know the Manager of the Commercial Tire Group through my business. He said they sell 8 to 1 Goodyear over Michelin for RVs. He said their current dominant tire for trucks is TOYO and they have not had any problems whatsoever with them.

He said that RVers are brand loyal, brand adverse or price conscious. He said they all have their good and bad points and that the TOYOs are a very good tire for the price, just make sure to get the proper load range for your coach.

He also said that Dyna Bead type balancing products are less expensive that the cost on a good machine operated by a competent person that trues, centers and balances the tire (most places do not invest in the cost and training for the required equipment). Truckers use and rave about Dyna Bead products because it is cheaper and there is no chance of throwing the weights. This is from a Guy who has been in the business for 20 years and has nothing to gain by telling me anything.

OK, maybe a very large tack hammer!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2009, 06:32 PM   #16

Ken, you might also want to check out Bridgestone Tires, if they fit into your budget. Very good tire as well. Just a suggestion.

Good luck with your choice, Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:06 PM   #17

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Yes, I sure can, and it's too bad. Out of this whole thread, I got two serious answers to my question. Sorry, everyone, I didn't realize I was being frivolous. Whey don't we all just close this thread? Thanks.
Woa there cheif. I'd say that's two serious answers more than you had before you started. With the post of yours that I quoted, you were being something for sure, but I wouldn't call it "frivolous". And it's a good thing they didn't close the thread, because it looks like you got 2 more serious answers. You doubled your return on investment right there.

The guy that had my RV before me had Michelins all around. In 07 he put 2 Bridgestones on the front, and left the Michelins on the back. I assume he did that because he only needed new tires on the front, and since he knew his RV days were coming to an end, he wanted to save some money.

Bottom line....from what I can tell the Bridgestones are performing every bit as well as the Michelins. I will have no problem putting 4 Bridgestones on the back axel when the time comes. I do hope this has helped.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:17 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stewart View Post
Sorry, here comes the tack hammer. . .
OK, maybe a very large tack hammer!
Great "tack hammer," Jim Stewart. Thanks much, this really is new info to me.
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58 View Post
Ken, you might also want to check out Bridgestone Tires, if they fit into your budget. Very good tire as well. Just a suggestion.

Good luck with your choice, Jim
I ran Bridgestones once - on my MG in 1960! (Gave away my age, huh?) It sounds like they may be a little more expensive, but if you are running them on your coach, I will go on the assumption that there are good reasons, such as ride, tracking, etc. Thanks for the suggestion, Jim, I will look at them.
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmiles View Post
Woa there cheif. I'd say that's two serious answers more than you had before you started. With the post of yours that I quoted, you were being something for sure, but I wouldn't call it "frivolous".
OK, ya got me. Guess I was a little frustrated. It sounded like this was one of those threads that had been up several times before, with people letting me know they were tired of it; ergo the "frivolous." Although I must say, I really got the best and most informative responses (including yours) after that post, and I do thank you for your input.
Ken
Thanks, all.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:25 AM   #19
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Many of our threads are variations of previous topics, and new info may be available on the current thread, and new or different members may post their thoughts in a new thread.

Like most conversations, one comment leads to another and it's hard to remain completely on topic.

I recall Alpine (I believe) and Toyo were involved in legal action over tires.

Anyone remember the details?

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:19 PM   #20

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Great "tack hammer," Jim Stewart. Thanks much, this really is new info to me.
Ken

I ran Bridgestones once - on my MG in 1960! (Gave away my age, huh?) It sounds like they may be a little more expensive, but if you are running them on your coach, I will go on the assumption that there are good reasons, such as ride, tracking, etc. Thanks for the suggestion, Jim, I will look at them.
Ken

OK, ya got me. Guess I was a little frustrated. It sounded like this was one of those threads that had been up several times before, with people letting me know they were tired of it; ergo the "frivolous." Although I must say, I really got the best and most informative responses (including yours) after that post, and I do thank you for your input.
Ken
Thanks, all.
Well to be honest, after I thought about it, I figured I was probably a little rough on you. But you took it well, and I guess we can both say "no harm, no foul".

Of course I would never be tacky enough to say something like you were getting "TIREd" of the off topic replies. Oh man...that's bad.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:57 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
blacktie.shooter........I changed from michilen to toyo in april. although I saved around 600 bucks with the toyo's, I still prefer michilens. The ride is better and the steering is better. I seemed to have a little road wonder with the toyos as before with the michilen's, they steered fantastic. The size I purchased is 245-75-22.5 which is the same as michilen size 235-80-22.5. I guess they work for me because I don't put alot of miles on my rv right now so the saving made the difference. I were to drive it fulltime, I would definitly go with the michilens. Hope this helps you in your decision!
emeryts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmiles View Post
Of course I would never be tacky enough to say something like you were getting "TIREd" of the off topic replies. Oh man...that's bad.

SPARE me! (I tried not to, just couldn't help myself.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeryts View Post
blacktie.shooter........I changed from michilen to toyo in april. although I saved around 600 bucks with the toyo's, I still prefer michilens. The ride is better and the steering is better. I seemed to have a little road wonder with the toyos as before with the michilen's, they steered fantastic. The size I purchased is 245-75-22.5 which is the same as michilen size 235-80-22.5. I guess they work for me because I don't put alot of miles on my rv right now so the saving made the difference. I were to drive it fulltime, I would definitly go with the michilens. Hope this helps you in your decision!
Excellent info; yes, it really does.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:04 AM   #23

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

SPARE me! (I tried not to, just couldn't help myself.)
Old 07-28-2009, 12:56 PM   #24

We've had our Toyos about 3 years and think they are great tires.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:09 PM   #25

Howdy,

I wouldn't mind trying the Toyo's, but they don't seem to make a tire that fits... I need either a 275/80-22.5 or a 295/75-22.5, Load Range H. All I can find even in the 295/75 size is a load range G.

Is there one out there significantly cheaper than the Goodyear 670RV ($450 ea. installed, after rebate)?

Mark
Old 09-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #26

Marka: After 7 years my 295/80 - 22.5 Mich's had way to many cracks and urgently needed replacement.

I ended up selecting Yokohoma 11R22.5 in load range H. The Yoko's are within 1/4 inch diameter of the 295-80's and load capacity is a very close match. The Yoko price was about $100 less per tire than Goodyears or Mich's.

THe Yoko's were selected cause basically they were the only brand of tire available without waiting two weeks to order/receive any other brand and the price was right.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:32 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Ken, here's a real life this summer toyo story. I bought my first MH this spring, a 99 pace arrow with original 10 year old Goodyear G159's. We took this beast on a month long 6000 mile family vacation. Nastyest evil handling machine I'd ever driven. 2 white knuckle hands on the wheel at all times, off on the shoulder and 3 hail mary's whenever a truck wanted to pass me. Just plain "holy sh!t in any kind of crosswind. After 300 miles a day I was ready for a hot tub and a 12 pack. Many days we drove 550. Those, I jus crawled in back and died.

Thru no fault of the tires (FOD, curbs and such, driver error) we got 2 new toyo's (245-75-19.5) in the back courtesy of les shwab.

When we finally got home, after my hands stopped shaking, I decided to put the new tires in the front before I started spending big dollars on handling bandaids for this F53.

Been on 2 trips since, one 800 miles, the other 400. All I can say is WOW.
I drive with one hand. When the trucks pass me, or I pass them, I look in their window. Crosswinds are no bother. Passing trucks in crosswinds she jus wags her tail a tiny bit. Handling is improved LOTS.

Now I hope the newer g670's are better than the 159's, and I'm guessing that at ten years old, my goodyears were more rock like than tire like. Still, I'm real happy with the toyo tires.