Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #1

tpms

New to class A RVing and am finding that tire pressure monitoring can be a valuable upgrade to my coach. As we venture into this hobby we are trying to prioritize where we spend $$ on the coach. The 2 front tires on our 2005 Mandalay 40B are only 2 yrs old with negligible miles , but the rear 4 are original and although they show no signs of tread wear or dry rot I know they are nearing the end of their usefull life. Are the wireless tpms a reliable system? Tire Traker seems a good value but how about dependable??? Anyone that has experience with this ? Thanks, RFS

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #2

Tons of discussion here about TPMS systems, but yes I have one and I would not be without it. A trucker told me once that generally tires just don't catastrophically fail. Something happens, being a loss in air pressure or high heat (which could indicate low pressure). Catching something like that early is crucial. I have had false alarms with my system, but I'd rather have a few falsies than a blow out. I have the HawksHead which is identical to the Tire Traker. It works well. The only issue is that the batteries only last about 3 months. They are easy to replace and I bought 36 new batteries on Amazon cheap. Keep them in the MH.

Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You WILL have problems with most TPMS of one nature or another. If you read the many posts on this forum regarding what people have purchased and used there have been problems with ALL of them.

What's important is to buy one that YOU think will work for YOU. Then if it doesn't try another brand, I did.

I first tired the Doran RV360 and had problems for the last two years of the three years I had owned it with Lost Signal problems.

I now have the Tire SafeGuard TPMS and I am now a Happy Camper.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 07-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, give the TPMS a high priority on your upgrade list.

No, do NOT buy a Doran 360. As Dr4Film did, I had nothing but troubles with the sensors dying on mine.

Good luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #5

I have TPMS and "Wouldn't Leave Home Without It". Change batteries once a year, never had a problem, I too carry spare batteries in the coach. A tire monitoring system is NOT a mod, but an important SAFETY ITEM. Whichever system you end up with, the first time you come across a class A in a ditch, from a tire blow out, and hopefully you never will, you'll realize just how wise the purchase was, use 'em.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
You WILL have problems with most TPMS of one nature or another. If you read the many posts on this forum regarding what people have purchased and used there have been problems with ALL of them.

What's important is to buy one that YOU think will work for YOU. Then if it doesn't try another brand, I did.

I first tired the Doran RV360 and had problems for the last two years of the three years I had owned it with Lost Signal problems.

I now have the Tire SafeGuard TPMS and I am now a Happy Camper.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
The reviews online are quite positive on the Tire SafeGuard.

I know I will need extenders on my front 19.5 tires. Suggestions?

How long do the batteries last?

Any other helpful info?

Dave

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #7

tire traker, tire minder and hawkshead are the same item marketed by three sellers in us, made in china. i managed to inquire the manufacturer they told me to contact minder research in fl as they were the manufacturer's sole rep in us... well, i bought the system a year ago, including an signal extender, so far so good, simple, accurate and in real time, never had a signal drop.

after the first purchase, I went on for 3 sets more for my three cars .
Old 07-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
A MH is designed to be driven so I prioritized my purchases towards that and safety. We have the TST507 system with repeater and 14 air through sensors (8 MH, 4 toad, 2 spares). In our previous Winnebago with 6 sensors I occasionally lost 1 or 2 of the dual sensors. With our DSDP I ordered the repeater and have never lost a sensor.

Battery life is going on a tad over a year but I did replace one battery already. I have 4 spare batteries on hand. They aren't cheap or normally available in a drug store. My sensors use the same battery used by Toyota in there keyless fobs. $4 or more each. You can get them on line but I have heard mixed reactions on how old they are when you get them that way.

On the Winnebago it warned me of a flat inner due to leaking valve extender. On our DSDP it warned of low pressure for the same thing.

There is probably NO WAY I would know I had a flat on my toad without one...at least not until it was too late to start a fire or destroy the rim.

I have not had any issues with the large pass through sensors. That includes when I mount them on the toad. I remove the toad sensors when parked for more than a couple days. Make sure you have a way to put them back on the same tires.

One surprise is that I can see that my front right toad runs about 10* hotter then the rest. Guess what tire gets the brunt of the DP exhaust?
Old 07-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
One surprise is that I can see that my front right toad runs about 10* hotter then the rest. Guess what tire gets the brunt of the DP exhaust?
have you checked if the particular brake caliper is touching/dragging? all tire temps should be very close except the ones facing sun being a few degrees higher.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
have you checked if the particular brake caliper is touching/dragging? all tire temps should be very close except the ones facing sun being a few degrees higher.
I thought about that and ran my TPMS in my toad one day after I noticed it and all 4 tires were pretty close in temp. That was certainly something to suggest. TANX!
Old 07-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #11

I have the TST 507 and experience the same temp variance on my toad from the diesel exhaust. (front left for me)

Who'd a thunk!!

The TST system is both simple and reliable.

cheers,
Joopy
Old 07-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R F S View Post
... The 2 front tires on our 2005 Mandalay 40B are only 2 yrs old with negligible miles , but the rear 4 are original and although they show no signs of tread wear or dry rot I know they are nearing the end of their usefull life. Are the wireless tpms a reliable system? Tire Traker seems a good value but how about dependable??? Anyone that has experience with this ? Thanks, RFS
TPMS: +2, another happy TST507 user. Over a year, no problems, no lost signals.

TIRES: I would replace the 4 rears presently, and watch the fronts like a hawk. If you bought the fronts and knew their history 2 years would mean very little. But overloading, overheating, and underinflating can all play hell with tire innards with no external indications.

SKY BOSS: Its the 1632 battery used on the 507 sensors. From about $2.50 to $7 each local retail. I just bought a 10-pak online for $9. Made in China (domestic market-- they even have Chinese characters etched in the metal), no indication of age. We'll see how long they last!
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:00 AM   #13

A question:

I have 19.5 tires with wheel covers that will not allow sensors without valve extenders.

I had 45 degree extenders on a previous rig just to make checking them easier. But they eventually leaked. Tossed them.

I notice in posts that some extenders leak when used for sensors. Not the kind of alarms I will like.

Is there a solution without cutting out space on the wheel covers? Dont want to make them ugly or weaken them.

Other solutions?

Dave

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Solid Valve Stems from Borg Equipment & Supply.

Your Tire Shop Supply | Supplies for Tire Shops

You won't have any leaks if properly installed.

Dr4Film ----- Richard