Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2015, 08:14 PM   #29

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 103holland View Post
What do you guys consider a good tire pressure monitoring system for 6 wheels that is fairly simple to install and is a unit that allows adding air without removing the system better or not? Thanks.

I wouldn't be so concerned about adding air and removing the sensor. If you follow my guideline of +10% as covered in my Blog, You might only need to add air every two or three months or less frequently.
Limiting yourself to flow through, limits your choices.

I offered a suggestion on how to select the "Best" TPMS for you in my May 23 2014 Blog post. Remember the best for me may not be the best for you.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2015, 08:40 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 103holland View Post
What do you guys consider a good tire pressure monitoring system for 6 wheels that is fairly simple to install and is a unit that allows adding air without removing the system better or not? Thanks.

I bought EEZRV and found it was priced good and when I was installing it after supper one night and ran into a slight problem and thought well I'll try calling Tom and walla it was 830 at night and he answered and emailed me and got my issue fixed. Now you can't beat tech support like that. Hats off to Tom, oh and the sytem works perfect, I never had to wire it in either. I thought I would try it on the rechargable battery and it lasted for probably 50 hrs of driving and recharges in no time. Very simple, very good, user friendly. I bought it with 12 sensors and you can add more if needed and set it up for towing different trailers. You don't need a repeater or booster it works perfect without one.

Grant
Wildbuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:45 PM   #31

Ric, like you I was recently in the market for a Tpms system, most all the systems do what there designed to do, so I started looking at the display units, and how they would fit my coach, and until the last minute, I was going to get flow thru sensors, if you don't have the flow thru on correctly, they leak or don't flow, and there large, ended up with caps and removed the anti theft ring, I used the Eezrv I thought the display is easy to read and hooking it up to an ignition source, it goes of and on with the key, bottom line GET ONE, oh, repeater, I'm 36' with 24' trailer, thought I would need repeater, but it picks up, as a mater of fact, when parked at home, the trailer is 100' away and still picks up, now that's out the front window, but it's still 100'
Old 07-14-2015, 07:57 PM   #32

TST!

I Vote for TST, they have BY FAR the best customer service one could possibly ask for. The system works reliably and has saved me 3 times so far when I had tires going down and was able to pull over fix the problem and get back on the road in minutes instead of being down for hours waiting for help.

One our way to Pigeon Forge last year I had 2 sensors stop working, it was the beginning of a 17 day trip. When I got to the CG I called and figured I could get some replacements sent out and have them waiting for me at home when I got back, but TST sent them priority mail to me in Pigeon Forge and I had them on before we left for our next leg.

Just last week after 2+ yrs and the warranty def. expired I had my monitor antenna break. I called and they just sent me a new one, I would have thought for sure I would have to pay for a new one, but they stepped up. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend their system!
harjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:14 PM   #33

TST here too. They helped me set it up and works fantastic. Had a sensor go bad and they overnighted me 2 and a new monitor to make sure I was taken care of for a 2000 mile trip. I don't know how you could find better customer service than the team from TST!

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum "life happens" HE lives..
cdinatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:30 AM   #34

Gulf Streamers Club
I ordered the TST.
103holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:46 AM   #35

I found that I needed an extender with my TST system to reduce lost signal from sensors. Without the extender I would have a lost signal ping on nearly every trip. With the extender, lost signal from sensors is rare.

Thanks. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:38 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just got my EEZRV TPMS and installed it in the amount of time it took to screw the sensors onto the tire valves and flip the on switch. I gave them my PSI and basic information and they programed everything at time of purchase before shipping to me. It took two days to arrive. Everything at this point is working outstanding. I have since read the manual and even it makes installation and programing very easy if you have to do it yourself. I did not.
Tom Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:22 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
I bought the TST, just got back from first trip with it. Boxing it up and sending it back. A lot of people said they loved it, which is why I purchased it. No thanks, might try another brand or just skip it all together, ours was way too much trouble for what its worth.

What did you find wrong with it?
Indianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:10 AM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
[moderator edit]

Same here and well said. I bought my EEZRV TPMS 3 Years ago Had it on 3 rigs now over 40 ft long on two of them. Never needed a signal extender. Service has been excellent. When I bought mine TST was considerably Higher than EEZRV the price of the sensors at that time were $35 versus $15 as I recall. Most all makes and brands came from china from the same manufacture at that time including TST. Check it out (Ali Baba). TST tried to tell me at that time that one of their distributors in Canada was selling their units to EEZRV and that I would not get service if I bought one from EEZRV, What a crock. I think most TPMS no matter what brand are good if they do the job and you are happy with it. I hate to see one manufacture slander another when there is no basis or fact. Makes you wonder why.
Mel
Old 07-18-2015, 01:25 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Truth is in the pudding. You simply cannot beat Mike Benson and his service. I have had TST TPMS since they were first introduced and have had great response from the company and great service from the system.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:57 AM   #40

I have EEZRV and have had no issues. I have had it for two years. If you call their number, the owner of the company answers and is helpful. I originally ordered the wrong kit, pass through style when I wanted non style. He was very helpful and sent me the non style. I would buy it again.
novi2some is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:24 PM   #41
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
This thread started off great, but deteriorated rather badly.

The offending posts have been removed and thanks to those posting within iRV2's rules.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:27 AM   #42

Commercial Member

I had a post on my blog "What is the "Best" TPMS "
Here is a portion of that post:

Yes along with What is the "best" brand tire or Best RV or maybe even the Best pizza, people seem to think that there is a single answer to almost every brand selection that everyone will agree on.

As an engineer I feel that just as Henry Ford was wrong when he decided everyone would want a black car, there is seldom a "Best" anything that is the best for everyone. However, having said that, you probably still would like some guidance in selecting a TPMS.

NOTE: I am certain that ANY brand TPMS is better than not having a system.

So here is what I suggest you use for a selection system. I think this will be a good system to use even as the technology moves forward.

I think there are four major categories to use when shopping for a new or replacement system.

1. Performance: What does the system do and how well does it do it?

2. Cost: This includes more than just the initial purchase price as there may be the cost of installation and what about the batteries? When looking at cost I suggest you do a comparison based on the expected replacement cost of replacement sensors if you can't install batteries yourself.
Example - non-replaceable batteries last 5 to 6 years so include the cost of a set on new sensors vs the cost of replacing batteries every two or three years. (three sets at $1.50 per battery for example). Selection of an internal mount system will include the cost of the initial dismount and mount and balance of tires and a second dismount, mount and balance when the sensors need replacement a few years later. This cost could exceed the cost of a TPM system so is an important consideration

3. Warranty: This may be the easiest as I prefer a longer warranty to a shorter one. I believe that car manufacturers do a much better job of designing and building their product than does the RV industry. Given the prevalence of 3, 5 and even 10 year warranties for cars vs the normal few months offered by those selling RVs products with longer warranties are more likely to be better than those with short warranties.

4. Support & Service: How easy is it to contact the seller? Are there videos on YouTube showing how to install and program your TPMS?

Items 2 through 4 are best left to you to learn and investigate. Some people don't care about YouTube videos and others don't worry about warranties, so lets focus on "Performance"

Here are some questions to consider:
a. Does the system "talk" to your on-board video display? This may lock you into one brand to the exclusion of all others.

b. Accuracy: Some people are overly concerned with the accuracy of the TPMS. Personally I have observed that after setting my tire cold pressure using by calibrated digital hand gauge I see that the TPMS gives slightly different numbers for almost every tire BUT the difference is usually only a couple psi. While this may be measurable I don't consider it meaningful. You might want to review the concept of "Measurable vs Meaningful" that I covered in another post. You could also review my comparison of an internal vs external system in another post.

c Temperature vs pressure checking. Most aftermarket systems will signal both pressure and temperature. Some people think temperature is very important but as a tire engineer I believe that if you have the proper load and inflation you do not need to worry about temperature variation and can expect to see operating temperatures range from +15°F to +50°F above ambient. Many TPMS have a warning temperature of between 150°F and 160°F which is OK in my opinion for a warning level. It is very unlikely for you to have a tire get hot without having a loss of air precede the increase in temperature.

d. Early warning: I consider this an IMPORTANT and desirable feature
Imagine your cold pressure is 100 psi. Your low pressure warning is probably -15% or 85psi. When driving you might have a hot pressure of 120 psi. Now suppose you get a leak from a puncture or possibly a valve stem gasket leak. Would you rather get a warning when you loose 3 or 6 psi over a few minutes down from the 120 psi HOT pressure, or would you think it OK to only be warned after you loose 35 psi down from the hot pressure to the "Low Pressure Warning" level.?

In my opinion getting that "Early Warning" allows you to slow down and start looking for an exit or safe place to pull over as you monitor the air loss over then next 5 to 20 minutes you might have before you get down the the minimum pressure needed to carry the load.

Sometimes the rate of air loss can start small but increase over a few minutes as the hole in the tire gets bigger. If you only get the single warning it may already be too late to save and repair the tire.

I hope I have given you some things to consider when selecting the "Best for you" TPMS.