Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2016, 11:24 AM   #85
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have the TST flow through on the coach and non-flow through on the TOAD. Basically the same reason why they suggested non-flow through for you on your TOAD. The clearance is just not there as the flow-through stick out a little further.

If you are going off-road I'd even be careful of the non-flow through. It is so easy to take them off and put a cap on. If you are driving the jeep off-road you are going to know when you have a flat. Also, there may be times when you want to deflate the jeep tires for a different traction so you would have to turn off the monitor.

For a slightly smaller foot print on the non-flow through you can remove the part that spins, as long as you don't think they will be stolen. Even with the spinner on they are easy to remove without the tool - just ask me.

I'd go with what they suggested. You will not regret having the flow-through on the MH. Also consider the Dually Valve kit for valve stems. They sure make it easy to fill or deflate the tires. Dually Valve and ask for Bill Falkenborg
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2016, 02:27 PM   #86

I'd go with what they suggested. You will not regret having the flow-through on the MH. Also consider the Dually Valve kit for valve stems. They sure make it easy to fill or deflate the tires. Dually Valve and ask for Bill Falkenborg[/QUOTE]

I actually already have that. Not sure if it's the same brand, but the same and yes checking and adding air to the inners is much easier with them.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:11 AM   #87

TST on 40 ft Tiffin

TST uses GE circuitry in their monitor, no cheap stuff. Sensors are double insulated. It is the stuff you can't see that makes them great. Remember, TST has roots in the trucking industry so there TPMS is engineered to keep up with 90,000 mile a year trucks. TechnoRV has installation videos and their learning series on the TST product, so if you get it from them you get everything you need to get you going, plus the best support of Rv technlogy products out there.

LJ
Lincoln11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:11 AM   #88
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Just took a 500 mile run to the Grand Canyon after installing the TST system. I found one sensor dropping out. At a rest stop, I tightened it some more, problem resolved. A few hours later the system started beeping frequently. It would beep, lose all the numbers and then come back to life a few seconds later. I thought I was losing power and turned it to battery, but still had the same issue. This lasted for about 20 minutes, beeping every couple of minutes.

On the way home, it started doing it again. I called TST and they explained that the frequency of other devices in your coach can interfere with the TST system. They asked if I was using an indoor/outdoor thermometer/weather station with a remote sensor, which I do. They said it can interfere with the TST monitor. Their suggestion was to remove the batteries from the weather station before each trip. This would mean resetting all of the information on the weather station every time we moved the coach, which was not a solution I was looking for. My weather station has three channels (A, B, C). I switched it to the "B" channel at a rest stop and the it seemed to resolve the issue.

Just thought this might help someone else with their TST unit.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:01 AM   #89

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
What percentage or number of lbs. do some you set your high and low parameters to on your TPMS?

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-13-2016, 05:23 AM   #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post

What percentage or number of lbs. do some you set your high and low parameters to on your TPMS?
Low or under-inflation is the most important versus over-inflation.

I set my Low to about 10% of my CIP such that my front axle CIP is 105 lbs so the Low Alarm is set for 95 lbs.

The claim by Doran is that once a tire gets to 25% below CIP it is considered a FLAT tire.

The high alarm really depends on whether you are running with nitrogen or air in the tires plus the ambient outside temps you are driving in. I would start with 25 lbs over your CIP and then observe what the actual conditions end up to be. You can always go up or down a little from there.

I have set the High Temp alarm at the minimum value which I think is 156F or 158F or so.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:12 AM   #91

I agree. Under inflation is worse then over inflation. This is based on my tire design experience before I retired.
novi2some is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:54 AM   #92

Evergreen Owners Club
I have the TireMinder system for over a year now, works great and no issues!
artpe54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:02 AM   #93

Commercial Member

I recommend that the Low Pressure warning be set to the inflation needed to carry the confirmed measured load on the heavier loaded tire on that axle.

You should not be driving on an under-inflated tire.

If for example your MH needs 90 psi to carry the load, that would be the warning level. Your CIP would be 90 + 10% (I would round to the next 5 or 10 increment to make things easy) so in this example 99 becomes 100psi as my CIP.

I would be less concerned with the high pressure as the only reason for high pressure would be if there was a high temperature source such as bearing or brake drag. Pressure , even with Nitrogen, will rise at least 2% for each 10F. I believe that most TPMS have a High Temp setting near 155F. Considering that the temp is measures with the sensor exposed to cooling external ambient air that is plenty hot.

My TPMS (I bought my Tire Traker system) has early and rapid air loss warning so I would get a warning when the pressure drops from the hot running pressure and does not wait till I have lost the pressure gain from running and lost my 10% inflation margin.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:42 PM   #94

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
What is CIP?
Old 05-14-2016, 03:56 PM   #95

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post

What is CIP?
Cold Inflation Pressure

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 04:07 PM   #96

TPMS parameters

Manufacturers of TPMS suggest you set parameters at 10% below and 20% above the cold tire manufacturer recomendation for the tire. It is ok to go 25-30% above if you are in hot climates. The real danger to a tire is heat, and low tire pressure generates heat. So you dont want the tires to be underinflated. Get your RV weighed correctly to know the proper PSI for the tires based on weight. Here is a good article and video on properly weighing your RV:
Know your Weight
Lincoln11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:14 AM   #97

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln11 View Post
Manufacturers of TPMS suggest you set parameters at 10% below and 20% above the cold tire manufacturer recomendation for the tire. It is ok to go 25-30% above if you are in hot climates. The real danger to a tire is heat, and low tire pressure generates heat. So you dont want the tires to be underinflated. Get your RV weighed correctly to know the proper PSI for the tires based on weight. Here is a good article and video on properly weighing your RV:
Know your Weight

Wonder what the answer would be if you asked the TPMS supplier if they are claiming it is OK to run tires in an overload and if they will take care of any tire failure that ever occurs due to long term low inflation
. Running 5 or 10% low in pressure will not result in an immediate failure but will make the tire run hotter. This heat will degrade the internal structural rubber which may lead to belt separation months down the road.
Also based on some data I have seen, running 5% low on pressure would be like paying $0.10 more per gal of fuel in addition to shortening tire life.

Again, I strongly urge you to figure out how to have your brand TPM provide a warning when the pressure drops to the MINIMUM specified in the Load/Infl table needed to support the measured load you are placing on one or more of the tires on each axle.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:33 PM   #98

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This may be a dumb question, but why do motorhomes NOT come with this? Saving that money for another tv somewhere?

I'll be honest, I wasn't a big believer in the need for them.......until 2 days ago. Didn't even know I had a flat until a semi driver pointed to us. Will be buying one shortly.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote