RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2017, 10:16 PM   #15
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have the TST 507 flow through. They are extremely easy to fill or deflate air in the tire. I have had them for a couple years and I have only replaced one sensors set of batteries. Easy to do.

According to TST the little set screws that secure the valves in place are not necessary if you are not worried about security. I personally am not and the next time I replace batteries those little set screws will come off. I have not personally been aware of anyone having had sensors stolen.

If one has the vogue, low profile, wheels on a TOAD the flow through may be to long and will stick out. They can get ripped off getting to close to a curb. Even the non flow through can be pulled off going through a car wash that pulls the car along by the wheels. (Ask me how I know.)

The so called sensors with the spinning cap and require a special tool to put on or take off ---- do not need the special tool to take off. Applying strong pull pressure on the sensor while twisting it will allow it to come off. I know this because I put my TOAD in for servicing and they wanted to check the air in the tires. When I thought of it I walked into the service bay to tell them where the tool was and a technician already had one off and in his hand. He explained the process and said it was easy to do.

I still highly recommend the TST flow through system.

Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2017, 10:39 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a tire safeguard system with 6 flow thru sensors on the MH and 4 cap type sensors on the toad. The flow thru are two big to fit on the toad. Personally I find the flow-thru to be much easier to use. Checking the air pressure is easier and faster. And say what you may but taking off/putting on the little plastic cap is easier then removing/installing the a sensor.

On my old system which had all cap type sensors, I have had the valve stick in the valve stem when the sensor was removed, letting air out of the tire. I could get that sensor back on fast enough.

As far as the security feature keeping the sensor from be stolen, I don't use it. It won't stop a thief.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:45 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I think what we have here is the story of 3 blind men describing an Elephant. On my unit the non-flow through sensors are held down to the valve stem with 3 set screws on each sensor, getting an allen wrench in there to loosen tiny those set screws takes some time, doing it without unscrewing them all the way and dropping them takes even more. Other models seem to use a single backing nut to hold the sensors in place, I can see those as being faster to remove when air is needed.
My non flow through sensors screw on and off just like a normal valve cap. It does use a wrench to loosen or tighten but it is only used at the end to snug it up or to loosen to remove. Just takes a sec. I would buy new in your shoes, sounds to complicated.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:07 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Just a bit off topic, but to followup on my earlier post - I just got off the phone with Steve Rosenthal at TST. I called to ask if the set screws were needed on the TST507 Flow Through sensors. He said absolutely not, they are only there to prevent theft, which in his experience is a non-existent problem. I am updating this thread because that makes my opinion of the TST 507 Flow Through sensors much more positive. Also note, TST support is phenomenal - as others have posted repeatedly on this forum.
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:19 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
I have flow through on the RV and non-flow on the toad. The flow through are just too big for our toad. EEZ-Tire swapped 4 of them for free. I have had no leak-down issues.

Pressure Pro system that was on it had leak down issues even though they were non-flow. And then the batteries started dying, and it was going to cost me as much for new sensors at the whole new EEZ-RV system I bought.

EEZ-Tire system flow-through has user-replaceable batteries.
I also have the EEZ system that was custom for our Rig (6 F/T for the MH and 4 non F/t for the dolly and toad). Have had no issues to date (knock wood). They were east to pre-prigram and install in minutes. I'd rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them. Lots of luck
pghbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:47 PM   #20
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethGreer View Post
Can anyone provide input on the advantage of a flow through TPMS model vs the cons? We will need to have 10 sensors for 40' DP plus toad.
Beth, I hope you have some answers. There are pros and cons for everything. It comes down to: Do you want to have to remove the sensors to inflate or deflate tires. The flow throw, in my opinion, are much more convenient than the non flow through. I have used both types and much more prefer the flow through.

Happy trails.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:01 PM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've used the cap type on the front tires where the flow through would stick out too far. No problem on the rears though so I used the flow throughs there. When I use it on the CR-V I'll have to use all cap types as, again, the flow throughs stick out too far.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:04 PM   #22
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It all depends on the vehicle. My front hub liners stick out further than the flow through.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:32 PM   #23
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have TST 507 flow thru on the MH and non flow thru on the toad. It's been with me for 7 years and still works great. I don't bother to lock them.