Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #29

I have a stupid question... Do all these systems require metal valve stems ? I'd love a TPMS, but ours has rubber valve stems... That would be a added cost to have all tires dismounted.

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post

Bought mine a month or so ago...great addition! It probably bailed me out on the first week after I added braided valve extensions. I was SURE I seated them properly and would have ASSUMED my brand new, left inside dual was fine.
Interesting Sky_Boss because i just added the Airless Stainless Steel extensions so that it would be much easier to add air to the darn near impossible to reach inside valve. Well don't you know that after forking out over $300.00 for the extensions ( plus labor) I now have a slow leak coming out of the inside dually!!
I went through this expense to prevent a problem not create one!! I now have to take it back to the dealer where I bought it from so that he can fix it properly. Eventually I will get a TPMS but I'm a little tapped out now.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larnie View Post
Ken. With 10 tires, are you driving a semi tractor?

SIX on the truck plus FOUR on the trailer = TEN last time I checked the math.

Ken
Old 09-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
Interesting Sky_Boss because i just added the Airless Stainless Steel extensions so that it would be much easier to add air to the darn near impossible to reach inside valve. Well don't you know that after forking out over $300.00 for the extensions ( plus labor) I now have a slow leak coming out of the inside dually!!
I went through this expense to prevent a problem not create one!! I now have to take it back to the dealer where I bought it from so that he can fix it properly. Eventually I will get a TPMS but I'm a little tapped out now.
I'm not sure aboit the airless extenders but I think any extensions Ned to have pressure to work with external sensers. My leak was self induced.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:27 AM   #33

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
I have a stupid question... Do all these systems require metal valve stems ? I'd love a TPMS, but ours has rubber valve stems... That would be a added cost to have all tires dismounted.

I have the Tire Tracker and it's recommended, but not a necessity. This is posted in their FAQs:

11. Are metal valve stems required with the TireTraker™ TT400C TPMS?
The TireTraker™ TT400C TPMS sensors weigh only 0.3 ounces and do not require metal valve stems. However, we always recommend metal stems be installed whether you have a TPMS or not.

https://www.tiretraker.com/default.asp

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #34

Quote:
There is a real danger in having a TPMS IMHO. One can easily begin to feel that they have made a purchase which absolves them of having to worry about their tires anymore and nothing could be farther from the truth.
The other danger - for the first few days anyway, is that you will tend to watch the screen far too much and watch the road far too little. Bit like a TV screen - needs to be mounted somewhere the driver can't see it.

The other thing is that a temperature sensor at the end of a dead end skinny tube with no air flow several inches long CAN'T give anything close to an accurate temperature of either the tyre or even the air inside the tyre.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by go6car View Post
I have the Tire Tracker and it's recommended, but not a necessity. This is posted in their FAQs:

11. Are metal valve stems required with the TireTraker™ TT400C TPMS?
The TireTraker™ TT400C TPMS sensors weigh only 0.3 ounces and do not require metal valve stems. However, we always recommend metal stems be installed whether you have a TPMS or not.

https://www.tiretraker.com/default.asp
Thanks bunches !!
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #36

The idea for either temp or pressure is to be alerted of any change from what you normally see.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #37

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I love my TST system. On this system metal valve stems are how the temp is transfered to the sending unit. I have checked mine with digital laser thermometer and they are always within a few degrees of TST temp. Metal valve stems are also required for the higher tire pressures. I have used the temp information to watch for failing breaings or load inbalence. PS, I still look and thump my tires at every stop.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
I love my TST system. On this system metal valve stems are how the temp is transfered to the sending unit. I have checked mine with digital laser thermometer and they are always within a few degrees of TST temp. Metal valve stems are also required for the higher tire pressures. I have used the temp information to watch for failing breaings or load inbalence. PS, I still look and thump my tires at every stop.
You raise an issue that has bothered me some. I have not been convinced my tire temp info is accurate since they are external and at the end of braided extensions. I think I need to investigate that some more. Thanks for your info!
Old 09-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
For those people that don't see any added value to having a TPMS on their tires, let me ask two questions.

If one or more tires on your towed vehicle or trailer behind you were to have a slow leak or go flat, how would you know? My guess is you would not until some helpful person following you were to alert you of a major problem in back of your RV.

It happen to me and I always run a TPMS. It just so happen that I was having problems with one sensor on my four trailer tires with intermittently losing the signal. Yup, you guessed it, that tire decided to go flat and I did not feel it or know it until some courteous Canadian pulled up and told me I had a shredded tire on my trailer. Needless to say I had to replace both tires on that side as the excess weight ruined the one surviving tire. And I immediately got a new sensor shipped to me at my very next stop to replace the one that was acting up.

I now carry two new extra sensors just for the times when one sensor decides not to work ALL of the time. I will not move my vehicles without having good working TPMS sensors on each tire.

Another question for people without TPMS's. How would you know if one inside dual on your coach had a leak and it lost over 25% of the normal air pressure while tooling down the road?

The National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration considers a tire FLAT when it reaches 25% below its normal operation psi. If you normally run your tires at 100 psi, that means that when you tire reaches 75 psi it is flat and the possibility of it exploding due to the buildup of heat that it generates will do a significant amount of damage to your coach and surrounding areas.

Don't believe me, go do some Googling and read for yourself.

WRT checking temps on tires and wheels, I recommend using a laser guided IR temperature gun. It will be far more accurate than relying on the sensor sticking on the end of you tire stem to give you the temperature of the tire. The most important area to measure temp of a tire is a few inches just below where the sidewall meets the tread.

Only my opinion and words of advice.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
You raise an issue that has bothered me some. I have not been convinced my tire temp info is accurate since they are external and at the end of braided extensions. I think I need to investigate that some more. Thanks for your info!
It's not so much as being accurate as it is to see a drastic change in °s. If a tire is running 20° warmer than the rest, it's time to investigate.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #41

Wouldn't run an RV without them. Have had the TPMS on two 5th wheels and now a motor home, best investment I ever made,,,,,,
Old 09-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #42

One time, when I had my 5er, the EGT thermocouple on my turbo shorted and set off my high temp alarm. I shut off the display and alarm that was on the same 12 volt circuit that my TPMS was on. You guessed it; kapoow, thump, thump, thump... Trailer tire let go.