Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #43

We use the TST 507 system. The sensors can be used with either rubber or metal valve stems. Temperature is transfered equally well with either kind.

We originally had metal valve stems on the RV and rubber ones on the Jeep. They worked fine all the way around. Note there are however some systems that require metal stems. One of the brands we looked at used flow said metal stems were necessary. That particular system had flow through sensors that weighed over an ounce each. I liked the system but didn't want to change out the stems on the Jeep. As it turned out I replaced I replaced them with metal ones within a few months of purchasing the TST 507 system anyway.

There are some precautions necessary even with metal extensions. The one on our inner left rear dual had a tendency to rub or vibrate against the wheel liner. Close inspection revealed the stem itself was starting to wear through. I solved the problem by putting a piece of clear plactic tube over the extension in the area where it was rubbing. It's been 3,000 miles since I made the modification and all seems to be working well.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #44

Keep in mind that rubber stems still have a brass core that the TPMS sensors screw on to. That brass goes almost all the way to the inside of the wheel and it transfers the heat of the tire.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:56 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
I also use the tst system, and woud never be without it.

The sensors work just fine on my toad, which has rubber valve stems.

It has saved my butt once all ready on the coach, alerting me to a leaking inner dual in plenty of time to get the coach off the road and stopped. Total time from when the monitor started beeping (at 65psi, down from 95) to completely flat was about 30 seconds. Tire had a 3" separation where the tread meets the sidewall, and I could stick my finger through it. Without the tst tpms, it would have gone completely flat, separated the tread, and tore up lots of stuff.

At my last stop / walkaround, it was fine, though I don't generally crawl under the rig and visibly inspect the sidewalls of the inner duals...
Old 09-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
I love my TST system. On this system metal valve stems are how the temp is transfered to the sending unit. I have checked mine with digital laser thermometer and they are always within a few degrees of TST temp. Metal valve stems are also required for the higher tire pressures. I have used the temp information to watch for failing breaings or load inbalence. PS, I still look and thump my tires at every stop.
What was it someone posted in another tire thread? Something like only 20% of tire thumpers could tell if a tire was 20% or more low on air.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #47

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's food for thought. There are two methods "internal & external" or monitor inside strapped to rim and monitor on valve stem. Now which one is more accurate?????
Old 09-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
The idea for either temp or pressure is to be alerted of any change from what you normally see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
It's not so much as being accurate as it is to see a drastic change in s. If a tire is running 20 warmer than the rest, it's time to investigate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttster View Post
Here's food for thought. There are two methods "internal & external" or monitor inside strapped to rim and monitor on valve stem. Now which one is more accurate?????
It should only be used as a reference.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #49

Quote:
Actually there are at least 3 methods. The newest from TST (and the OEM ones on our Buick) are inside the tire. Rather than being independant and strapped to the rim they are part of the valve stem.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #50

That's the kind that came with my Hella TC-400.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #51

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS)

Great system, economical and I really appreciate having the information whenever I need it.

Also, as Dunner says, it's the CHANGE or DIFFERENCE in the temperature or pressure that you have to be worried about.
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #52

Nor'easters Club
After reading this thread, I believe we can all agree that TPMS is a good idea. Of course with no other checks on your tires it's only as good as the electronics.

these are predominantly trending instruments. If the trend is way off...rapid transition to high temps or pressures, you may be heading for a failure. perhaps catastrophic. Seems to me, that a few hundred dollars is cheap insurance to have some additional safety information.

A while back I did some investigations into the various types of TPMS. You can read it here:

WanderMan: Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) Reports [No Cover Page Needed!]

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. Information can be a great thing.

Rich "The Wanderman"
Wanderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:16 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Neither. The only device that NEEDS to be accurate is the tire pressure gauge you are using to inflate the tires in the first place.

I recommend this one:

Accutire MS-5515B Truck and RV Digital Tire Gauge with LED Light and Bleed Button : Amazon.com : Automotive

The TPMS only has to report ANY differences from base pressures that have been programmed into it.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 11-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #54

I do have a "Tire Minder" that I just purchased. Have used it on two trips on a RV that has brand new tires. On both trips it all of a sudden gave me a reading of about 95 psi in a 80 psi tire. Pulled over, checked it out, could not find the problem. I have read where they have given out "low" pressure readings to other RVers, I like the idea of how it works, but kind of scary going down the road and have that thing go off.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:12 AM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Neither. The only device that NEEDS to be accurate is the tire pressure gauge you are using to inflate the tires in the first place.

I recommend this one:

Accutire MS-5515B Truck and RV Digital Tire Gauge with LED Light and Bleed Button : Amazon.com : Automotive

The TPMS only has to report ANY differences from base pressures that have been programmed into it.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Thanks for this Richard. That is exactly what I was thinking. Coincidentally I just received the AccuTire Gauge in the mail this week even though I own several types of air pressure gauges. I am going to fill the tires with the proper air pressure as ascertained by the AccuTest and then once on the road let the TPMS do its job by reporting any pressure fluctuations. So far I haven't had any false warnings while going down the road but then again I have only taken the MH on one trip since I bought them.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:31 AM   #56
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
I suspect the 10 tires includes the Toad.