Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #15

First:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
My right front tire pressure raised from 90 to 98 and temp was 20 degrees warmer than all others. On a short 45m mile trip yesterday. Any ideas? Brake drag? Wheel bearing?
Then: "The information system relayed that the temperature was 20 degrees hotter than the other monitors on both sides of the coach while traveling about 60 mpg on a cool 80 degree day. The tire also increased in pressure by 10lbs, the other tires on both sides of the coach did not. The delta here is what I'm concerned with.

Upon further investigation, there is a significant amount of brake dust on the outside of the tire. Its opposite has none. I am betting its a caliper not releasing fully... "

Who was that that always gave a teaser at the start and then told the "rest of the story"? Good day!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2011, 04:37 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

The delta here is what I'm concerned with.
It is VERY common to have a delta in pressure & temperature between tires (by the way...they are related) from the sun side of the coach to the other side, aluminum wheel to steel wheel, etc. What you are looking for is something SIGNIFICANT between them. As stated earlier, 8 psi and 20F degrees is not considered excessive.

With ANY tire/wheel, if the pressure increases due to an abnormal cause, the temperature automatically follows. That's why a system that reports accurate pressures is way more important that monitoring temperatures and temp alarms.

The system I depend on does have a HIGH temp alarm, but it's for the sensor and is permanently set at 248F to warn the driver about a possible sensor failure. It also has a 25% HIGH pressure alarm.

Quote:

Upon further investigation, there is a significant amount of brake dust on the outside of the tire. Its opposite has none. I am betting its a caliper not releasing fully...
I am betting that if it was me walking around the coach measuring the tire & wheel temps with my IR gun, I would have noticed the BRAKE DUST immediately on the outside of the wheel & tire. That would have been my FIRST clue, not an after thought.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 10-05-2011, 05:42 AM   #17

Lincolnboy, were you traveling in a direction where your right front tire was in the sun? My front tire when exposed to the sun is always a little warmer than the other side. Is your weight a little heavier on that side? Were you parked in a way with your RF in the sun before you left? It doesn't take much solar to heat a black tire.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
It is VERY common to have a delta in pressure & temperature between tires (by the way...they are related) from the sun side of the coach to the other side, aluminum wheel to steel wheel, etc. What you are looking for is something SIGNIFICANT between them. As stated earlier, 8 psi and 20F degrees is not considered excessive.

With ANY tire/wheel, if the pressure increases due to an abnormal cause, the temperature automatically follows. That's why a system that reports accurate pressures is way more important that monitoring temperatures and temp alarms.

The system I depend on does have a HIGH temp alarm, but it's for the sensor and is permanently set at 248F to warn the driver about a possible sensor failure. It also has a 25% HIGH pressure alarm.

I am betting that if it was me walking around the coach measuring the tire & wheel temps with my IR gun, I would have noticed the BRAKE DUST immediately on the outside of the wheel & tire. That would have been my FIRST clue, not an after thought.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
Lincolnboy, were you traveling in a direction where your right front tire was in the sun? My front tire when exposed to the sun is always a little warmer than the other side. Is your weight a little heavier on that side? Were you parked in a way with your RF in the sun before you left? It doesn't take much solar to heat a black tire.
It was in the morning, I was traveling due east and the RF tire was in the shade. I do notice in the morning when the coach is parked as the sun comes up and hits the tires (moreso when they are not covered) how they heat up, but the pressure doesnt go up over 10% like it did. I think it is a brake issue now that I've had time to go look and compare the two tires on the front.....Thanks though!
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Dr4Film ----- Richard[/QUOTE]

So Richard, it appears you have a particular distaste for any tpms that is not yours? Or is it just the name brands? (just kidding) This system alerted me to something I did not know about, which is what it is suppose to do. I am EXTREMELY PLEASED with it.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

I am also betting YOU would have noticed it too! But, I am not you, and do not have the extensive experience you demonstrate in your responses.

I have only myself and the very limited 3 months of ownership experience to count on, that's why I post and ask questions on this forum. The BRAKE DUST was NOT obvious to me until I began looking closer at the tire/wheel that was generating these high temps and pressures. When I looked at it and then the opposite tire, that's when, to me, it became a probability of it being a brake issue. MIND YOU, I don't have confirmation of my suspicion yet, so I may be totally wrong. As all people are at some point in time. Hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20.

Thanks for the information Richard, it is appreciated!

Kent

Dr4Film ----- Richard[/QUOTE]
Old 02-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #21

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

I am also betting YOU would have noticed it too! But, I am not you, and do not have the extensive experience you demonstrate in your responses.

I have only myself and the very limited 3 months of ownership experience to count on, that's why I post and ask questions on this forum. The BRAKE DUST was NOT obvious to me until I began looking closer at the tire/wheel that was generating these high temps and pressures. When I looked at it and then the opposite tire, that's when, to me, it became a probability of it being a brake issue. MIND YOU, I don't have confirmation of my suspicion yet, so I may be totally wrong. As all people are at some point in time. Hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20.

Thanks for the information Richard, it is appreciated!

Kent

Dr4Film ----- Richard
[/QUOTE]

Since this post, I have driven many miles. I have realized my brakes and calipers are ok, and that you all obviously knew more than I did about the pressure and temperatures. It was nothing to be concerned about after all. I thank all of you for the input!