Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Question tpms data high temp tire?

My right front tire pressure raised from 90 to 98 and temp was 20 degrees warmer than all others. On a short 45m mile trip yesterday. Any ideas? Brake drag? Wheel bearing?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2011, 04:10 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
see what it goes back down to when it cools off. but, yes, probably one of the two.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:06 PM   #3

When ever you see tire temps warmer than others...go out and check the wheels.
If wheels all seem same temp, then it is not a brake problem, nor a wheel bearing. Both of these will have to warm the wheel to transfer heat to tire

Remember sunlight can really increase tire temps, thus increasing tire pressures.

Does RF tire have any different wear pattern on tread as compared to LF? I ask due to wheel alignment could produce enough scuff on a tire to increase it's temps
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
My right front tire pressure raised from 90 to 98 and temp was 20 degrees warmer than all others. On a short 45m mile trip yesterday. Any ideas? Brake drag? Wheel bearing?
MHO, for a draging brake to put that much temp into the tire you should have smelt something or felt the coach draging to the right; HARD. Wheel brg should be screaming, by the time they generate heat like that too.
Are you checking temps with an infared gun ? Can you get a shot at the rotor ? Does the pressure rise check out with a manual gauge?
Old 10-04-2011, 03:57 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 2 cents worth-

The pressure rise doesn't sound unusual if the tire was on the "Sun" side.

Did you have an unusually high crown, IE: slope, on the road you tarveled?

It's amazing what we all see with this new technology nowadays.

Good luck,
Old 10-04-2011, 04:34 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
First off, if you are reading temps using a TPMS, do not rely on those temps exclusively. You are NOT reading the true temp of a tire or wheel. When the sensor is sitting out on the end of a tire stem, do you really think you are receiving true temp data?

If you are reading temps using laser guided IR temperature gun, only pay attention to a tire or wheel that is significantly different than a similar tire/wheel combination on the SAME side of the coach. Also, get as close as you can to minimize cross-talk from false readings. The actually area of the tire/wheel you are reading is a LOT bigger than the point of the laser that you are seeing.

The sun side of the coach will ALWAYS be higher in temps than the non-sun side of the coach. Steel wheels will ALWAYS be different than aluminum wheels.

8 psi and 20F degrees is not what I would call significant. You can have that much or more from one side of the coach to the other.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:04 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Could be

1. Low tire pressure
2. Wheel bearing going bad
3. Brake dragging
4. Alignment of front tires

All are easy to check and fix.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:52 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
First off, if you are reading temps using a TPMS, do not rely on those temps exclusively. You are NOT reading the true temp of a tire or wheel. When the sensor is sitting out on the end of a tire stem, do you really think you are receiving true temp data?
I've found this to be the case as well and had switched to a hand held IR gun. The temperature reported by these sensors is not only inaccurate but misleading.

Your best option is to check the temperature on each tire in between the tread at each fuel stop along with the pressure. It's a simple procedure and I keep the IR gun and pressure gauge right by the door so I always remember to do it.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
You all missed that the coach could be heavier on that tire. Also, 8 degrees is not much.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
When ever you see tire temps warmer than others...go out and check the wheels.
If wheels all seem same temp, then it is not a brake problem, nor a wheel bearing. Both of these will have to warm the wheel to transfer heat to tire

Remember sunlight can really increase tire temps, thus increasing tire pressures.

Does RF tire have any different wear pattern on tread as compared to LF? I ask due to wheel alignment could produce enough scuff on a tire to increase it's temps
This wheel was 20 degrees above all the others on both sides of the coach while traveling down the highway. It also increased in pressure from 90 lbs to 99 lbs. All other tires were comparable temp and pressure. There is a great deal of brake dust on the outside of the tire that is not on the drivers side tire or any other tires on the coach. I am betting its a brake dragging. Probably a caliper not fully releasing....
Old 10-04-2011, 12:46 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post

If you are reading temps using laser guided IR temperature gun, only pay attention to a tire or wheel that is significantly different than a similar tire/wheel combination on the SAME side of the coach. Also, get as close as you can to minimize cross-talk from false readings. The actually area of the tire/wheel you are reading is a LOT bigger than the point of the laser that you are seeing.

The sun side of the coach will ALWAYS be higher in temps than the non-sun side of the coach. Steel wheels will ALWAYS be different than aluminum wheels.

8 psi and 20F degrees is not what I would call significant. You can have that much or more from one side of the coach to the other.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
The information system relayed that the temperature was 20 degrees hotter than the other monitors on both sides of the coach while traveling about 60 mpg on a cool 80 degree day. The tire also increased in pressure by 10lbs, the other tires on both sides of the coach did not. The delta here is what I'm concerned with.

Upon further investigation, there is a significant amount of brake dust on the outside of the tire. Its opposite has none. I am betting its a caliper not releasing fully...
Old 10-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
Could be

1. Low tire pressure
2. Wheel bearing going bad
3. Brake dragging
4. Alignment of front tires

All are easy to check and fix.
Thanks Iron Man

Upon further investigation, there is a significant amount of brake dust on the outside of the tire. Its opposite has none. I am betting its a caliper not releasing fully...

So Iron Man where do I need to go to have the brakes checked? Will Camping World do that? Or there is a Ford dealer here close by that now is pushing its RV department can do all service and repair work.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by targaboat View Post
You all missed that the coach could be heavier on that tire. Also, 8 degrees is not much.
I agree but with the discovery of the excessive amount of brake dust on the outside of the tire (compared to its opposite) leads me to believe its a brake caliper not releasing fully. Will find out for sure here next week or so....I'm taking it out to have that brake and wheel bearing inspected.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
MHO, for a draging brake to put that much temp into the tire you should have smelt something or felt the coach draging to the right; HARD. Wheel brg should be screaming, by the time they generate heat like that too.
Are you checking temps with an infared gun ? Can you get a shot at the rotor ? Does the pressure rise check out with a manual gauge?
Don't have an IR gun :( But the delta here is what I'm concerned with....
The information system relayed that the temperature was 20 degrees hotter than the other monitors on both sides of the coach while traveling about 60 mpg on a cool 80 degree day. The tire also increased in pressure by 10lbs, the other tires on both sides of the coach did not.

Upon further investigation, there is a significant amount of brake dust on the outside of the tire. Its opposite has none. I am betting its a caliper not releasing fully... I will take it in next week for a detailed analysis since I am not comfortable with these numbers.