Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2017, 10:26 PM   #1

TPMS/Duals

I have read a few threads on the Cats Eye & Dually Crossfire systems for the rear duals equalizing the tire pressure. I really like the idea of retaining equal tire pressure.

A few questions for the experts:

Looks to me you have to order a specific tire pressure for the Crossfires.. Do you use a lower pressure system than the pressure you are running? ie if proper tire pressure is 90psi, do you need a system <90psi to shut off if one tire loses normal pressure?

Not sure if the Cats Eye is a variable pressure system determined by the user..

Also if using a TPMS will you lose the independence of each tire? ie combining each side into one?

Would like to have the equalization but also the temp of each tire since the pressure should be the same.

Any experience recommendations is much appreciated.

Thanks.
garyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2017, 10:41 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
With Crossfire's there is one fill point for the two tires, hence one TPMS sensor for the pair. You won't get individual tire temoerature.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:28 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
You currently have some redundancy in a dually, because if you have one tire go flat or blow out you'd get an alarm, and then could slow down the coach while still riding on one tire.

You tie the air together, now a flat or blowout causes both tires to deflate. Not a wise idea in my book.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:57 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Kiawah
No one would buy them if they acted as you believe. In a blowout, the unit isolates the good tire immediately. In a slow leak, it isolates the good tire after a 10 psi difference. I purchased mine to get rid of leaky tpms sensors. I circle check every 2-3 hours and the unit provides a visual indication of pressure which satisfies my requirement. I have had mine for 6+ years without any issues. The manufacturer claims they extend tire life with equal wear but that is a doubtful benefit in an RV compared to a truck.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:32 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
With Crossfire's there is one fill point for the two tires, hence one TPMS sensor for the pair. You won't get individual tire temoerature.
They make tpms capable crossfires. Also to the OP, the pressure setting is just what the guage will be set for (visible on the crossfire)..you can run any pressure you want. Check out this video of mine..I talk about some of your issues:

dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:50 PM   #6

Some of the reviews on the flow through tpms are not very good. What kind of tpms are you using with the crossfire set-up?
thanks..
Old 05-18-2017, 05:16 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
In the video those are TST brand and are not flow through. The Crossfires setup for tpms have 3 shraeder valve stems..
one in middle for adding air and one on each side for tpms.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:09 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Here's a pic of the "tpms hose" for the crossfire (you order with these hoses on each side of the crossfire "guage" giving you a tpms port for each tire).

I ordered mine from truckpartsworld.net...I just emailed them and told them what I wanted (psi setting/tpms hoses/22.5 rim so they knew how long the hoses needed to be) and they built the crossfires to my specs and shipped them out.

http://www.truckpartsworld.net/wp-co...1/IMG_0172.jpg
Old 05-19-2017, 01:09 PM   #9

What tire pressure setting on the Crossfires would be recommended? Currently running 90psi but may change as I experiment with load/pressure settings..
Old 05-19-2017, 01:58 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You want the pressure setting on the Crossfires to reflect the load you will be carrying with a provision for one side being slightly heavier than the other if you just had the axles weighed. You can use the tire manufacturer's recommendations for the tire you have and the weight you will be carrying. You will have to change the entire unit if you elect a different pressure in the future. Bottom line is you should hold off a purchase until you sort out your tire pressure.
Unless you have a tag, there is only one correct pressure for your make and model of tire and that is determined by the weight to be carried. It isn't a science experiment.
The Crossfire will display your actual pressure for a +/- 5 lb range from it's rating so there is no point purchasing a unit different from the pressure you intend to use. You cannot readjust the Crossfire yourself. I purchased mine to replace a leaky TPMS system and have found that the visible monitoring provided by the unit continually alerts me to the actual pressure as temperatures change. Good luck, I am certain you will find them to be a great addition.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:04 PM   #11

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
You currently have some redundancy in a dually, because if you have one tire go flat or blow out you'd get an alarm, and then could slow down the coach while still riding on one tire.

You tie the air together, now a flat or blowout causes both tires to deflate. Not a wise idea in my book.
If one tire is a set of duals goes flat and you continue to drive you will damage the tire with air as that tire is now overloaded by 100%. Unless you slow to less than 10 mph.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:10 PM   #12

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyre View Post
I have read a few threads on the Cats Eye & Dually Crossfire systems for the rear duals equalizing the tire pressure. I really like the idea of retaining equal tire pressure.

A few questions for the experts:

Looks to me you have to order a specific tire pressure for the Crossfires.. Do you use a lower pressure system than the pressure you are running? ie if proper tire pressure is 90psi, do you need a system <90psi to shut off if one tire loses normal pressure?

Not sure if the Cats Eye is a variable pressure system determined by the user..

Also if using a TPMS will you lose the independence of each tire? ie combining each side into one?

Would like to have the equalization but also the temp of each tire since the pressure should be the same.

Any experience recommendations is much appreciated.

Thanks.
I see no meaningful advantage to connecting both tires air chambers together, assuming you set the tires to the same pressure to start with.

If you get a leak in one tire it will bleed off air from the good tire. The load will transfer from the leaking to the good tire which is now running lower pressure than before the transfer. So you will be increasing load while decreasing inflation. Exactly how is this a good thing to do?

Running two TPMS is a good plan. Just be sure your warning levels are set to avoid tire damage.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:14 PM   #13

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
Kiawah
No one would buy them if they acted as you believe. In a blowout, the unit isolates the good tire immediately. In a slow leak, it isolates the good tire after a 10 psi difference. I purchased mine to get rid of leaky tpms sensors. I circle check every 2-3 hours and the unit provides a visual indication of pressure which satisfies my requirement. I have had mine for 6+ years without any issues. The manufacturer claims they extend tire life with equal wear but that is a doubtful benefit in an RV compared to a truck.

IMO correcting the leak with the TPMS would have been a better plan. You can easily destroy a tire in 10 to 30 min of running significantly low. I think all you will do if you discover a flat tire is know you have destroyed two tires. The one with the leak and the one you overloaded.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:16 PM   #14

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurdock View Post
In the video those are TST brand and are not flow through. The Crossfires setup for tpms have 3 shraeder valve stems..
one in middle for adding air and one on each side for tpms.

Every connection point increases the possibility of having a leak. More connections is not a good plan.