Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
TPMS false WARNINGS, self-induced

Started my day determined to even up tire pressures across the front and across the back. With my nine month old TPMS, and the first day of an extended trip starting, my purpose was to fine tune the pressures to more adequately monitor the rubber in route. My goal was 105 psi up front and 100 psi across the back. In spite of being an old man I was pretty proud of my results; a bit high up front, (106 and 108), but the rear came out just about a perfect 100 psi across all four.
So off we go about 5 hours later departing mid FL with an OAT of 95.

About 1 hour into our journey to cooler air up north I get a warning from my TPMS. Left front had hit 120 degrees. Of course with my senior memory I had forgotten where I had set the warnings when I first installed the TPMS. After comparing the left front psi readout from the TPMS with that with a real tire pressure gauge I confirmed the pressure was very near to 120 psi. With the frustration of getting the warning and confirming the pressure with a gauge I let a few psi out of the tire and continued our trip up I-75.

Most of you are way ahead of me now but within another 45 minutes I get a warning on the right front tire. TPMS indicates it’s at 120 psi. How that saying go, - fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. So I just watched it and turned the warning off. Meanwhile, DW was helpful in reviewing the instructions for the TPMS and it dawned on me I had used the manufactures recommended 15% above and 10% below recommendation when setting up the alarm feature. Had I used a 16% above or had I set my front tire pressure AT 105 instead of accepting 106 or 108 as good enough I never would have received the warning or experienced the frustration of [moderator edit] is going on here. I watched the right front psi for another 5 hours and it stayed right at 121 psi. Left front having been bled a few pound ran at 117 psi. Of course I’ve now changed the warning threshold for the front tires to 123 psi. I believe rolling along at 63 mph in 95 degree temperatures is about the max I will experience in the future. On day two of the same trip with same hot OAT of 95+ degrees I noted that the psi rise on all six tires averaged 16 to 18 psi.

I made a mistake in my TPMS setup. The whole purpose of this diatribe is to share that mistake to help others as I have benefited reading other informative confessions on this site. But help me out here. I figure I have this season only before replacing all tires. 30,000 miles, tires are 6 years old based on manufacture date on sidewall. Do you think my plan on waiting till the 7th year before replacing all six is a reasonably safe plan? Tires look great in that they show no sidewall cracking or other symptoms of being over the hill?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #2

I figure +- 3-5 lbs out of 100 is not a big deal. I have seen many recommend taking the recommended pressure and adding 5lbs to be safe. Shouldnt be a safety problem just a ride one.
I recently installed the TST system and noticed the same climb in pressures of about 15-18 lbs when heated up. (63mph 22.5 tires 85 degree weather 30 min duration) and my alarm went off. I too had set at factory recommended warning levels. Increased warning level slightly and we'll see what happens. Hope its not like turning radio up louder when you hear a strange motor noise!!

I expected the pressures to rise with temperature but I didn't realize how much they would. These are basically new Michelin tires, corner weighed and set accordingly. I was disappointed to see how poorly the TST system did at reporting temperatures.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
Started my day determined to even up tire pressures across the front and across the back.
I've started several of my days in a similar fashion. It seemed like a worthy endeavor. It frequently became frustrating...until I found this:

It works G R E A T!

Although it won't solve the TPMS warnings, it will balance your tire pressures.

Take care,
Stu
Old 07-05-2011, 09:02 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
I too have installed the TST system. Thanks for your post I'm going to recheck my limits. Funny I had ours in for service , and I asked about my tires, they checked them and felt another year should be ok. My thinking is with the TST system I will have a better handle with what's going on with the tires under me. I was also told that Michelin's time line is longer than 6 years.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:51 AM   #5

I purchased recently and the michelins had 80k miles on the rear tires and were the oem tires, after changing them I found they were 11 years old. The tread had wore perfect the rear tires were almost slick. There was a lot of sidewall cracking. I was praying on the way to have them replaced. I have also installed the same tire monitor system but have yet to make the long trip. Thanks for sharing, this may help the surprise when the alarm goes off on mine.
2fasttoon is offline   Reply With Quote